ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big winter storm next weekend (01/22-01/24)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be fun. I'm looking forward to the first bust of the year! December was mild and so has/will be January. The people that cheer for snow are down to February, that's it!
I was just about to text you and let you know this thread was active. Glad to see you were on the scene rather promptly this time.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
I was just about to text you and let you know this thread was active. Glad to see you were on the scene rather promptly this time.
Love the winter! I also have a nice pension thread going on the CE board. :)

Snow showers have been in today's forecast for a couple of days, as we were always going to be on the northern fringe of the storm, which still mostly missed us out to sea. The precip shield simply came further NW than expected even 12 hours ago. Call it a minor bust. It happens. As of the 4 am forecast, places down the shore were expecting a coating to up to 1/2" and will likely get 1-1.5" and places along I-95 were expecting maybe a dusting, if anything, and will get about 1/2", which is what we now have in Metuchen.

Ended up with just about 3/4" in Metuchen. Most of the Shore area, south of Toms River, had 1-2" and most of the rest of NJ had 0.5-1.0", except far NW NJ, which got less than 1/2". Pleasant surprise, given expectations of <1/2" down the shore and a dusting elsewhere, although I'm sure the NWS isn't happy with the minor bust in the forecast.

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS
SNOWFALL OF
/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW JERSEY

...ATLANTIC COUNTY...
ATLANTIC CITY INTL A 2.8 700 PM 1/17 ASOS
ESTELL MANOR 2.5 615 PM 1/17 CO-OP OBSERVER
MAYS LANDING 2.3 600 PM 1/17 SOCIAL MEDIA
BARGAINTOWN 2.0 532 PM 1/17 SOCIAL MEDIA
ABSECON 1.5 550 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...BURLINGTON COUNTY...
MOUNT HOLLY WFO 0.8 530 PM 1/17 NWS OFFICE
FLORENCE 0.8 700 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
FORT DIX 0.7 532 PM 1/17 SOCIAL MEDIA
DELRAN TWP 0.6 545 PM 1/17 NWS EMPLOYEE
HAINESPORT 0.5 515 PM 1/17 SOCIAL MEDIA
MOUNT LAUREL 0.5 358 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
CINNAMINSON 0.3 401 PM 1/17 SOCIAL MEDIA

...CAMDEN COUNTY...
SICKLERVILLE 1.0 335 PM 1/17 NWS EMPLOYEE
HADDON HEIGHTS 0.7 550 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
LINDENWOLD 0.4 510 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...CAPE MAY COUNTY...
SEAVILLE 1.8 700 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
GREEN CREEK 1.0 700 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...CUMBERLAND COUNTY...
VINELAND 1.0 600 PM 1/17 SOCIAL MEDIA

...GLOUCESTER COUNTY...
WASHINGTON TWP 0.6 613 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
WILLIAMSTOWN 0.5 330 PM 1/17 AMATEUR RADIO

...HUNTERDON COUNTY...
FLEMINGTON 0.3 324 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...MERCER COUNTY...
2 WSW ROBBINSVILLE 0.8 500 PM 1/17 COCORAHS
EWING 0.7 500 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
LAWRENCE TWP 0.6 533 PM 1/17 SOCIAL MEDIA

...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...
EAST BRUNSWICK 0.4 533 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...MONMOUTH COUNTY...
MANALAPAN 1.0 640 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER
1 E COLTS NECK 0.9 600 PM 1/17 COCORAHS
HOWELL TWP 0.9 510 PM 1/17 SOCIAL MEDIA

...MORRIS COUNTY...
2 E RANDOLPH TWP 0.4 635 PM 1/17 COCORAHS

...OCEAN COUNTY...
FORKED RIVER 1.0 529 PM 1/17 SOCIAL MEDIA
BRICK TWP 0.8 520 PM 1/17 SOCIAL MEDIA
BAYVILLE 0.1 500 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...SOMERSET COUNTY...
BASKING RIDGE 0.6 536 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

...SUSSEX COUNTY...
HIGHLAND LAKES 0.3 500 PM 1/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

This is so early it's silly.

Hopefully you notice I didn't start it, lol. Before Facebook and other social media becoming so big, I wouldn't start weather threads until about 4 days before the event, but I now start the gameday weather threads a week before, just because I like starting them, so I can edit the title, as the situation changes. Winter storm threads are even less worthy of being started early, IMO. I still don't send weather emails to my lists until we're about 4 days out, since I don't like wasting people's time - way too many "big snowstorms" at day 6 that just don't pan out. If we're still looking at a major storm on most of the models on Monday night, it'll be time to sound the alarm, so to speak.

Reactions: retired711
I predict one thing. There will be sniping between the two board weather-tards. One of the best parts of the free board.
I predict another thing. Someone will start another thread on the storm. Dueling storm threads is one of the other great parts of the free board.
Yup. You called it. And you are right, it is one of the best things about the board. (sincerely) Glad there is a chance of snow just to read all this. I missed it. : )

Reactions: bac2therac
This was more than snow showers and flurries. That was the call last night before bed for the whole state. Roads are becoming iced over. Mets first bust of the year albeit small.

All the DOTs got caught by surprise, all the roads in western MonCo are iced over and there are accidents - and injuries - all over the place.

Your glee over such events renders unlikely any outpouring of sympathy should anything befall you.
Yeah, it's my fault, because wishing for snow leads to injuries. I also don't really give a shit about getting any sympathy from you should I get injured in the snow - also, your barely concealed anticipation of me getting injured in the snow is just a little bit disturbing, but not unexpected given the multiple times you've threatened me (and others) with physical harm in arguments. Time to grow up Lester. And by the way, I'm quite secure in my record of helping people avoid bad winter weather (and possible injuries) for the last 20+ years, via emails and posts on boards like this. But, please, feel free to continue your petty criticisms. It's what you do so well.

My criticism lies in your endless, inarguable "YAY! SNOW CATASTROPHE!" cheerleading, without any thought as to how it may impact the lives of actual people.

And you've never actually, personally, helped anyone. So blow it out your ass.

Your uppance is close. Trust me. Very, very, very close.
Anyone else have to look up "uppance"?

Oh, please. Please do share with us all of those countless recountings of admiration.

Not that you care, but the thing that I greatly dislike about you is that you are, without question, the most self-important person I've ever encountered. It's pathological.

As for threats - I never make threats. They're a waste of my time.

You'll go back on "Ignore", now. I've had about all of the bloviating I can stand.

Anyone have to look up the word bloviating?

Reactions: Cabana Man
Why do winter days last forever. Today felt like it lasted 48hrs. During the Spring and Summer days come and go in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:
remember a week ago the forecast for the weekend storm said 1-2 inches of rain and we got a small amount of rain Friday night. Things can easily adjust especially given the progressive pattern we have been in which would not allow the storm to slow down....many many many runs to go

As the potential storm approaches, can someone clarify what could make this storm "historic?" In my mind, it would take at least three feet of snow to do it for me.

-Scarlet Jerry

As the potential storm approaches, can someone clarify what could make this storm "historic?" In my mind, it would take at least three feet of snow to do it for me.

-Scarlet Jerry

Depends who you ask, but somewhere between 12 and 18" would be considered historic by most. Personally, I think 18" or more is "historic," given that there have only been 12 storms with that much snowfall in NYC in 146 years of record-keeping. Interesting thing is that 5 of those 12 have occurred in the past 12 years - we've had an unusual run of big snowstorms. I see some posters/experts referring to 12" as the cutoff for historic - there have been 36 storms with 12" or more in NYC - doesn't quite seem "historic" if it occurs every 4 years or so.

There's never been an "official" snowfall of 36" in NYC, so maybe you're setting your sights too high, lol. The most was 26.9" in Feb 2006, although many experts feel that they've been under-reporting snowfall in Central Park for decades (they just fired the guy who makes the measurements). March 1888 only reported 21", but if you've ever seen pix, most people think 30" or more fell (as was recorded in places not far from NYC). Largest snowfall ever in NJ is 35" in Whitehouse Station during the blizzard of 1996 (only 20.2" in NYC and everywhere else had at least 26", from what I recall - another data point for low measurements in CPK).

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/records/footplussnow.html

"The 0z GFS is in and it continues to show a major winter storm for the upcoming weekend. All snow for inland areas on this run. Some inland areas would see 25-40 inches based on this run while coastal areas up to 12 inches as there are some mixing issues there. Remember we are still 6 days away."

The NWS in Philly had the following to say in their 4 pm discussion, which is very unusual for 5 days out. Also, tonight's models continue showing a major to potentially historic (12"+) snowstorm for much of the I-95 corridor from Richmond to Boston.

FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY...A WINTER STORM IS LIKELY AND THOSE WITH
TRAVEL-OUTDOOR PLANS FOR THE DELMARVA, EASTERN PA AND NJ SHOULD
THINK ABOUT CONTINGENCY PLANNING FOR ADVERSE WINTER WX. THIS
INCLUDES THE POTENTIAL FOR SUBSTANTIAL PRECIPITATION, INCLUDING A
POSSIBILITY OF SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL. NORTHEAST TO NORTH WIND GUSTS
25 TO 40 MPH...STRONGEST ALONG THE COAST.

DETERMINISTIC DETAILS ARE IN THE FORECAST, BUT TIMING HEAVIEST
PCPN, AXIS OF HEAVIEST PCPN AND THE AMOUNTS, AS WELL AS THE RAIN
SNOW LINE STILL REMAIN WITH A VARIETY OF POSSIBILITIES. THIS
MESSAGE ONLY SERVES NOTICE THAT A POTENT EVENT LOOMS AND THOUGHT
SHOULD BE GIVEN AS TO MITIGATING ACTIONS SHOULD OUR FORECAST
REMAIN SIMILARLY ADVERSE WHEN ISSUED TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.

WE DO NOT POST SNOW ACCUMULATION GRAPHICS AND SNOW PROBABILITIES
ON OUR WINTER WEATHER PAGE BEYOND 72 HOURS. HOWEVER, WPC HAD A 50
TO 70 PCT PROBABILITY OF AT LEAST A QUARTER INCH OF MELTED WATER
EQUIVALENT PRECIPITATION ALONG THE I-95 CORRIDOR.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

My criticism lies in your endless, inarguable "YAY! SNOW CATASTROPHE!" cheerleading, without any thought as to how it may impact the lives of actual people.

And you've never actually, personally, helped anyone. So blow it out your ass.

Your uppance is close. Trust me. Very, very, very close.

While I too find the cheering for snow and ice annoying and hard to comprehend, I certainly don't wish any uppance on RU848789.

I would like to remind everyone that, cheering for or cursing the potential snowstorms has no effect on the actual snowfall totals. I absolutely hate winter and snow but how can you not get excited for a good old fashioned blizzard? My excitement level will not cause anyone to die in the storm or cause an accident on a snowy road. Should I not get excited over a nice, sunny day then too? People die on those days too, sun glare while driving, heat exhaustion, drowning while swimming, etc.

[QUOTE="newell138, post: 1344592, member: 396"]I would like to remind everyone that, cheering for or cursing the potential snowstorms has no effect on the actual snowfall totals. I absolutely hate winter and snow but how can you not get excited for a good old fashioned blizzard? My excitement level will not cause anyone to die in the storm or cause an accident on a snowy road. Should I not get excited over a nice, sunny day then too? People die on those days too, sun glare while driving, heat exhaustion, drowning while swimming, etc.[/QUOTE]
You know, we are all on an online message board for a college football team, I doubt most of us understand this point! :)

While I too find the cheering for snow and ice annoying and hard to comprehend, I certainly don't wish any uppance on RU848789.
If we're going to a word like uppance can't we agree to not abbreviate it? The word is comeuppance.

Might happen - my snowblower is broken.
Then we no longer need a forecast, we just need to know what your plans are for having it repaired. It's entirely up to you. If you get it fixed, it'll be a non-event. If you don't, snowmageddon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT