ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big winter storm next weekend (01/22-01/24)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This message board is the first place I come when I hear of an impending storm. I don't want to get in a pissing contest but RU 4real are you?....As a person who drives for a living I need to be aware of weather situations and this is the place I come for that info. I take what I need and use the info accordingly. I'm thankful for this forum and the people that add to it...thanks as always #s , Bac, ND all the other RU brethren that supply insight here...u too RU4REAL. .so count me among the helped

You two need to go do 20 paces in Weehawken and get this over with
It's pretty clearly an inverse case of opposites attract. I'm longtime close friends with @RU848789. I only know @RU4Real from the board, but I like him a lot. From my perspective, they are very similar types with many similar tendencies. That they arrive at opposite sides of an argument so often seems more due to nurture than nature to me.

This message board is the first place I come when I hear of an impending storm. I don't want to get in a pissing contest but RU 4real are you?....As a person who drives for a living I need to be aware of weather situations and this is the place I come for that info. I take what I need and use the info accordingly. I'm thankful for this forum and the people that add to it...thanks as always #s , Bac, ND all the other RU brethren that supply insight here...u too RU4REAL. .so count me among the helped
#s I would also like to receive your emails...please add me to ur list...misterf1964@hotmail.com. ..thnx Eugene

101.5 Dan Zarrow there is a possibility of double digit amounts. Actually their news headlines say could be a snowmeggedon but too early yet.

Last edited:
Then we no longer need a forecast, we just need to know what your plans are for having it repaired. It's entirely up to you. If you get it fixed, it'll be a non-event. If you don't, snowmageddon.

It's a complex picture, just like this forecast.

Basically, it's a 24" 2-stage Troy-Bilt, 8 years old. The last storm of the year, last season, the trans blew - for the 2nd time in 3 years. I know the repair is about 200 bucks. So the questions are:
  1. Can my small engine guy get it fixed in 4 days?
  2. Do I start to consider the sunk costs and just buy a new one?
I'll have that all figured out sometime this morning. Meanwhile, the overnight model runs are basically armageddon.

Oh, and @misterf - Really? You drive for a living and THIS is the place you come for "expert" advice on weather conditions? To each their own, but... I've always relied on direct sources, rather than 2nd & 3rd hand info.

It's a complex picture, just like this forecast.

Basically, it's a 24" 2-stage Troy-Bilt, 8 years old. The last storm of the year, last season, the trans blew - for the 2nd time in 3 years. I know the repair is about 200 bucks. So the questions are:
  1. Can my small engine guy get it fixed in 4 days?
  2. Do I start to consider the sunk costs and just buy a new one?
I'll have that all figured out sometime this morning. Meanwhile, the overnight model runs are basically armageddon.

Oh, and @misterf - Really? You drive for a living and THIS is the place you come for "expert" advice on weather conditions? To each their own, but... I've always relied on direct sources, rather than 2nd & 3rd hand info.
I'd be surprised if you could get it repaired that quickly - the timing is bad. Is the $200 for a new trans or a rebuilt one?

I know you'll work it out logically. For me, if a new one was $500 or less, I'd just do that with no further thought. But it looks like it'll be at least $600 for a new Troy-Bilt, w/more features quickly upping the price considerably. Makes it a much tougher decision.

Anyway, I wonder if renting one for this storm would be enough to kill the storm in it's tracks.

Why do winter days last forever. Today felt like it lasted 48hrs. During the Spring and Summer days come and go in the blink of an eye.
Seasonal affective disorder? You need to have more fun, after all, it makes time fly.

You know, we are all on an online message board for a college football team, I doubt most of us understand this point! :)
You do realize that focusing on and cheering for our football team directly affects the outcome, don't you?

Focus!

focus_zps7ve1uchp.gif

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Confidence is increasing. Run after run of every model is showing the storm.

Still way too early though to call.

I'd be surprised if you could get it repaired that quickly - the timing is bad. Is the $200 for a new trans or a rebuilt one?

I know you'll work it out logically. For me, if a new one was $500 or less, I'd just do that with no further thought. But it looks like it'll be at least $600 for a new Troy-Bilt, w/more features quickly upping the price considerably. Makes it a much tougher decision.

Anyway, I wonder if renting one for this storm would be enough to kill the storm in it's tracks.

I think I came up with an Option 3. I'm gonna buy a single-stage, for about 400 bucks. It will be enough to get me through this storm and will subsequently handle 80% of all the snowfalls we typically get in this area. I'll let the guy take his time fixing the big one (he can't even come out and look at it until 11AM tomorrow) and when it's done I'll have 2 snowthrowers. The reduction in duty cycle on the big one should keep it from breaking as often.

I have convinced myself that this is the best value prop. Please don't convince me otherwise. :)

I think I came up with an Option 3. I'm gonna buy a single-stage, for about 400 bucks. It will be enough to get me through this storm and will subsequently handle 80% of all the snowfalls we typically get in this area. I'll let the guy take his time fixing the big one (he can't even come out and look at it until 11AM tomorrow) and when it's done I'll have 2 snowthrowers. The reduction in duty cycle on the big one should keep it from breaking as often.

I have convinced myself that this is the best value prop. Please don't convince me otherwise. :)
Sounds perfectly logical to me. Unclear if that approach will suffice to kill the storm though. Could go either way, really. Might not snow at all now, making the $400 a worthwhile expense (if you don't like snow). But it might also snow four feet with the bottom foot being heavy wet snow (impossible to clear w/the new machine).

We might have to consult with @RutgersRaRa to see if there's something that can be done, some clothing choice perhaps, that might sway the Cosmic Ironies decision one way or the other.

This will be interesting.

Sounds perfectly logical to me. Unclear if that approach will suffice to kill the storm though. Could go either way, really. Might not snow at all now, making the $400 a worthwhile expense (if you don't like snow). But it might also snow four feet with the bottom foot being heavy wet snow (impossible to clear w/the new machine).

We might have to consult with @RutgersRaRa to see if there's something that can be done, some clothing choice perhaps, that might sway the Cosmic Ironies decision one way or the other.

This will be interesting.

You're right - there's no real sense of determinism, here. The way I see it, the two most likely outcomes are:
  1. It doesn't snow at all, in which case I've wasted 400 bucks. HOWEVER - since the plan would be to utilize the single-stage as my new "primary" machine, there may be too much reward inherent in the overall plan to affect the outcome of this storm.
  2. It will snow like all holy hell, feet and feet of it, and to make the smaller snow machine useful I'll have to be outside every hour for 24 hours straight.
See, when you put it that way, it really seems like "2" is the most likely outcome.

Reactions: mildone
You do realize that focusing on and cheering for our football team directly affects the outcome, don't you?

Focus!

focus_zps7ve1uchp.gif
MR. FOCUS! What happened to him? Did he ever calm down and come back under a different name?

Focus!
Focusing on football, the real question is how will this storm affect our weekend official visits? Right now it looks like a close call for incoming flights Friday afternoon although hopefully they'd make it in. If the large amounts verify by Saturday, unlikely the staff will be able to take our visitors to the city (assuming Ash carries that tradition forward).

Focusing on football, the real question is how will this storm affect our weekend official visits? Right now it looks like a close call for incoming flights Friday afternoon although hopefully they'd make it in. If the large amounts verify by Saturday, unlikely the staff will be able to take our visitors to the city (assuming Ash carries that tradition forward).

Depends on travel - it would take a LOT of snow to shut down Amtrak / NJT from NB to NYC. Could be an option, given a moderate snowstorm.

if by Thursday it looks like we will have a snowmaggedon with 1-2 foot amounts, expect all those visits to be cancelled beforehand

Accuweather internet calling for 8-12 inches starting Fri afternoon in Montclair area

if by Thursday it looks like we will have a snowmaggedon with 1-2 foot amounts, expect all those visits to be cancelled beforehand
Agreed - doubt they'd want anyone stranded (or worse) due to severe weather, although for kids from the south, I'm sure they'd get a blast out of a big snowstorm. Today's models, so far, including the latest GFS, continue to show a major to historic snowstorm. Still a ways to go, but a big snowstorm is becoming more likely with each model suite.

Euro comes out in a couple of hours and I'd be surprised to see it shift much, since it's been locked in pretty well for at least the past 2-3 days on this being a major east coast snowstorm. It may have missed the western edge of last year's blizzard by 50-75 miles, but it was the only model that consistently had that one being a major snowstorm for days and it's been right on these systems much more than the other models, i.e., it's still the best model.

Last edited:
They're just looking for clicks. Crazy that they put out a call already.
-----
It is unusual for them to predict that far out...... I use that site all the time, usually all they would put out at this point is chance of snow

The new 12z run of the GFS model is in and it continues to show the potential snow storm for the weekend. This run has a widespread area of 10-20 inches of snow. Again, it's still 5+ days away.

12376400_1026205004089752_1744446683659045783_n.jpg

Agreed - doubt they'd want anyone stranded (or worse) due to severe weather, although for kids from the south, I'm sure they'd get a blast out of a big snowstorm. Today's models, so far, including the latest GFS, continue to show a major to historic snowstorm. Still a ways to go, but a big snowstorm is becoming more likely with each model suite.

Euro comes out in a couple of hours and I'd be surprised to see it shift much, since it's been locked in pretty well for at least the past 2-3 days on this being a major east coast snowstorm. It may have missed the western edge of last year's blizzard by 50-75 miles, but it was the only model that consistently had that one being a major snowstorm for days and it's been right on these systems much more than the other models, i.e., it's still the best model.

in fairness the GFS was the first to identify this snow event last week....Euro while still dumping big amounts, seems to be further southeast in its runs that the GFS so lets see how that goes in future runs

RU#'s can you add me to your email list? Would love to get the updates. Smith.michaelm@gmail.com thanks

@RU848789 Ive been meaning to ask you forever, can I get on your email list?

Gents - thanks for the interest, but as mildone and silentwillie could tell you, the weather emails usually don't contain anything different than what I post here - in fact, I post info more frequently here (hate cluttering people's inboxes more than once a day; people can choose to ignore board threads), so there's really no point in being added to the emails.

As an aside, I started winter weather emails for work and friends/family about 20 years ago, but didn't start posting weather stuff here until maybe 15 years ago (and FB about 8 years ago) - the long term solution, which many have suggested, is a blog of some sort, so I could just post info in one place, but I'm not web-page-design savvy - maybe a retirement project, lol.

Party foul. AccuWeather is not allowed to be discussed in any serious weather-related threads.
Quite correct! We all know that weather.com is the expert we should be referring to.

The 12z Canadian is in and it continues to show the winter storm. It's slightly warmer than the gfs and coastal areas change to rain for a short period of time. Still a foot or more of snow for most.

12509798_1026237204086532_1722183786265517249_n.jpg

Based on how the local news is hyping this and their track record I'll go out on a limb and say zero snow, just rain.

Oh well... Karma just whispered that it's all over. Somebody on the AmericanWX board just started talking about the CCB (Cold Conveyor Belt).

As soon as the snow weenies invoke the CCB, any chance of snow goes immediately out to sea.

Reactions: rurichdog
The new 12z run of the GFS model is in and it continues to show the potential snow storm for the weekend. This run has a widespread area of 10-20 inches of snow. Again, it's still 5+ days away.

Actually, it's not 5+ days away. Today's 12Z models initialized about 7 am today, EST, and the storm will be getting going in our area on Friday evening, 4.5 days from then. Plus, realistically speaking, we're going to know with reasonably well what's going to happen by Thursday night, about 24 hours before the storm hits and that's only 3.5 days away.

I also don't think there's much value in posting output from each model, especially several days out, as it just clutters up the thread with relatively low value info. It's why I tend to post after the entire model suite has come out, so that one can look at the overall consensus (if there is one) or look at outliers or look at trends from the previous suite. Just a suggestion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT