ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major winter storm 3/20-21?

What is funny about these numbers is Uwchlan, which is actually where I live, and Exton are probably a mile or two apart, yet the numbers are 1.5 inches different.

On the big storm 2 weeks ago I was doing measurements on my deck and was almost 6-7 inches ahead of what had been “officially” reported. It wasn’t until the morning the 28 inches I had reported verified “officially”

We made double digits. As of 10 pm we have 10.0" on the ground. Nice! Still 31F. If those 25-30 DBZ bands rotating in from the NE can hold together for 2-3 more hours, we might just make 12". I think 11" is almost a given. With some of the numbers we're seeing all over the place being 10" or more (or will be) we may owe the NWS some apologies. I'll admit I was skeptical of getting to 8" let alone 10 or 11".

Islip recorded 4" of snow - 4 inches! - in the last hour. That's unbelievable. Some places on LI are going to make it to 15" or more and a bunch of places near the Shore are going to make it to 10" or more in the last 4-5 hours (Lakewood at 10.5").
Calm down. I was thinking about you while I was clearing my driveway, muttering something to the effect of who the heck gets excited about this shit. Nothing personal, just business. . [cheers]

Storm seems to be doing some back building or at least holding very steady on the western side. I was at 7 inches at 9pm in Butler. Will check at 11 where I am. Shoveled once before and didn’t think I would have to again. Might need to get out there again

Looking at the radar, this thing looks parked off the Jersey Coast. It ain't moving north, south, east or west. It just keeps churning in the same position.

I did say 15-18 inches. There are definitely, I would say 15 inches at the very least....and no, I'm not an anomaly. The whole town I live in got walloped like this.

I took this picture at 2pm this afternoon. 2PM. And it has been a hard, steady snow for the
last 9 hours. since then. It has snowed at least another 8-10 inches since this picture.

Last edited:
you would be a pretty big anomoly then..you might have a foot but you dont have 18

..Chester County...
Uwchlan Twp 9.6 730 PM 3/21 Trained Spotter
Valley Forge 9.5 838 PM 3/21 Social Media
New London 8.6 830 PM 3/21 Social Media
West Caln Twp 8.0 517 PM 3/21 Social Media
Exton 8.0 715 PM 3/21 Social Media
West Bradford Twp 8.0 417 PM 3/21 Trained Spotter
Landenberg 7.0 757 PM 3/21 Trained Spotter
Phoenixville 6.5 528 PM 3/21 Social Media
East Goshen Twp 6.2 535 PM 3/21 Broadcast Media
West Chester 6.1 415 PM 3/21 Trained Spotter
2 SE Exton 5.6 430 PM 3/21 Trained Spotter

...Delaware County...
Wayne 10.0 907 PM 3/21 Social Media
Chadds Ford 9.0 905 PM 3/21 Social Media
Drexel Hill 8.0 906 PM 3/21 Social Media
Clifton Heights 6.8 350 PM 3/21 Storm Total.
Collingdale 5.8 423 PM 3/21 Public
Media 5.2 722 PM 3/21 Trained Spotter
Upper Darby 5.0 451 PM 3/21 Trained Spotte

Compaction? If he is shoveling every couple hours, and measuring when he shovels, would he get an artificially high total?

Just took a quick walk around town, and saw one branch fall, heard another, and then just outside my house a telephone poll with a ton of wires and a transformer just cracked, lurched but did not fall. Yet. I called that one in to the cops.

Bust or no bust, seems like expectations for weather forecasts way exceed reason. I know our guys would probably don't want to hear this but I believe meteorological forecasts are not an exact science. It's one of the most useful courses I took at RU for a career in forest management, but I know from experience you can't expect precision.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Just took a quick walk around town, and saw one branch fall, heard another, and then just outside my house a telephone poll with a ton of wires and a transformer just cracked, lurched but did not fall. Yet. I called that one in to the cops.
Where are you?

I'm a couple of miles from you in northern Tinton Falls. I measured 5" on the grass and on my car. Plow has been through a few times. Snowing pretty hard here.
Amazing what a few hours will do. Easily up to 8. All of which occured in the last 2 hrs

Forester, good to see you post . Having attended "Cook" in the late 60's? 70s I surprised you remember much of anything. Hope to see you again at our tailgate this coming year. Hope to someday get a tour of some of the land you managed. As per our music thread do you remember any bands that played on campus or at Rutgers stadium during the years you attended?

Definitely has been coming down for some time now on Jackson/Freehold border.

Just measured - 10 " on pavement , 12 " on grass

Exceeded my expectations based on this morning.

Does having 2 kids under 2 and 2 stupid dogs count as a farm? Because then I do too.
I think that would be more in line with having a Zoo.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: O and it's still snowing. I think a transformer just blew. I saw a bright flash and through my woods two farm's barns usually have lights on. Well there's no lights.

Last edited:
We made double digits. As of 10 pm we have 10.0" on the ground. Nice! Still 31F. If those 25-30 DBZ bands rotating in from the NE can hold together for 2-3 more hours, we might just make 12". I think 11" is almost a given. With some of the numbers we're seeing all over the place being 10" or more (or will be) we may owe the NWS some apologies. I'll admit I was skeptical of getting to 8" let alone 10 or 11".

Islip recorded 4" of snow - 4 inches! - in the last hour. That's unbelievable. Some places on LI are going to make it to 15" or more and a bunch of places near the Shore are going to make it to 10" or more in the last 4-5 hours (Lakewood at 10.5").

Edit: woke up and there was 1/4" of pixie dust on my car and driveway from after I went to sleep, so my final tally is 11.5". Interestingly, someone else reported 11.5" from Metuchen and there are plenty of tallies in Middlesex County, near me in that range.

We're at 11.25" as of 12:45 am, after my 3rd and final shovel, and still 31F. Went from moderate to light, non-accumulating snow around 12:30 am, so unless we get some backbuilding, I think that's my final number, just short of my 12" prediction yesterday afternoon. Will be awake for another hour or so and will watch the radar and remeasure if needed. If not, wow, what an amazing freaking storm, especially for Spring! And we were a bit fortunate that the snow was a lot drier for the last 2/3 of the storm and winds were not too strong, such that power outages have been minimal.

Been a ton of fun tracking, watching, and discussing (and yes, even bickering lol) this event with all of you and, of course, being out in it to enjoy it - it never gets old, even though I do. And remember, try to measure the snowfall at the end of the storm not tomorrow morning, as there is always some compaction (but luckily no melting tonight, which will limit compaction a bit).

P.S. I'm sure most of you will be happy to hear that the weekend storm is looking to be about 200 miles S of the area and likely will not affect us - but it's far enough out it needs to be watched a bit.

Last edited:
I did say 15-18 inches. There are definitely, I would say 15 inches at the very least....and no, I'm not an anomaly. The whole town I live in got walloped like this.

I took this picture at 2pm this afternoon. 2PM. And it has been a hard, steady snow for the
last 9 hours. since then. It has snowed at least another 8-10 inches since this picture.

Where are you located? Biggest numbers reported so far, oddly enough, are where the forecasts were for the least snow - the NJ coast from Toms River to Sandy Hook. Amazing what precip rates in a slow moving storm can do in just a few hours.

Bust or no bust, seems like expectations for weather forecasts way exceed reason. I know our guys would probably don't want to hear this but I believe meteorological forecasts are not an exact science. It's one of the most useful courses I took at RU for a career in forest management, but I know from experience you can't expect precision.
It's a very inexact science filled with uncertainty, by definition, given the realities of chaos theory, in which even minor variations in a model's initial conditions (which are never knows that accurately) can lead to major variations over time in the model output. It's literally impossible for weather forecasts to ever be completely accurate. The challenge, then, for mets, is how best to convey that uncertainty - the NWS tries via those snowfall maps that show their best guess, the outlier high snowfall (10% chance) and the outlier low snowfall (10% chance). NB, for example, was predicted to get around 14", with a low of 7" and a high of about 22". That's why after flirting with 12-18" for NB, they backed off to a more reasonable 10-15" and I think NB got 10 or 11.

That cranky weather guy on twitter really needs to STFU.
Yeah, he made an absolute ass of himself - they're laughing at him on 33andrain. It's why you never claim victory or a bust too early. I'm pretty sure I can at least claim victory now in my decision to start this thread and my exhortations about the potential of the event even when it sometimes looked less likely to occur. Helluva pattern. And it might not be completely over...

That seems asinine considering how close union and middlesex counties are to nyc. Like 5 mins away from Elizabeth and Perth Amboy.
Well, you have to draw lines somewhere - the logic was to try to keep the core "NYC Metro" counties together - I think it should've included Middlesex, as we're the only county bordering NYC that's not under that office. Also, Union is in the NWS-NYC group, but Middlesex is not.

Reactions: Plum Street
Thanks for this update. I live in Fair Haven but I’m currently snowed in in Bermuda. No flights out to NYC area until late tomorrow. No planes could get here today and so no flights out tomorrow early. My wife took the kids to my inlaws up north so I had no clue what to expect when I get back home and need to dig out. Happy to hear it was a minor event in our area.
It wasn't minor at all - most shore folks have gotten 10" or more...

Cranky was explaining why places were not getting the high amounts like 15-22...certainly verified for some of us like me and other parts of western jersey...he in later tweets explained how the movement of the storm got delayed which put an additional 4-5 inches at the coast so he definitely acknowledged this..he gave in storm analysis which was good to see because most weenies stop analyzing. I didnt see his tweets after 8 so ill have to go back

And its not a contest on who is right so not sure why you are claiming some sort of victory

Reactions: newell138
Still snowing at 5am in Somerset County...storm that wouldn't die..almost 24 hours...but its been pretty light here for the past 5 hours..maybe adding an inch total in that time while obviously other parts of the state got pounded by larger rates....if this was January we all would have been ****ed

We're at 11.25" as of 12:45 am, after my 3rd and final shovel, and still 31F.

So let me get this straight, Edison got 7", which is about what I'd say I got, but you somehow managed to get 11"+ in Metuchen ? Nobody is reporting those numbers anywhere in Middlesex County except you.

Middlesex County
Old Bridge: 8.5 inches
Spotswood: 7.5 inches
East Brunswick: 7.5 inches
Hopelawn: 7.5 inches
Edison: 7.2 inches
South Plainfield: 6.8 inches
South River: 6.2 inches
Fords: 6.0 inches
Perth Amboy: 6.0 inches
Woodbridge: 5.8 inches
South Old Bridge: 5.0 inches
Plainsboro: 4.5 inches
Cranbury: 4.1 inches
Highland Park: 4.0 inches
Sayreville: 3.5 inches

So let me get this straight, Edison got 7", which is about what I'd say I got, but you somehow managed to get 11"+ in Metuchen ? Nobody is reporting those numbers anywhere in Middlesex County except you.

Middlesex County
He can't answer now. He is coating the snow globe over his yard with flex seal and making snow angels in his yard.

Middlesex County

Thoise numbers look like the total before it started to get bad.

Just got to work here in Wayne after shoveling maybe an inch off my sidewalk in Clifton. Easy peasy....

There is resolutely no ways these measurements on Nj.com are correct. They must have been taken by the snow deniers on this board.

I am in Aberdeen near Keyport boarder and we easily have 10-12 inches stacked on the patio table.

I can't say much different in SB than last night even though it still was snowing through some of the night. Still looked like 5-6" on the grass/deck and 2" on the driveway maybe not even.

Middlesex County

How do you even get dressed in the morning? Do you ever research, analyze and solve problems at work? This info is so easy to find. The Edison number, by the way, is low, as I saw 2 reports on line of 10 and 11 inches and another Metuchen guy reported 11".

...Middlesex County...
Cheesequake 12.5 220 AM 3/22 Trained Spotter
Port Reading 11.5 115 AM 3/22 Trained Spotter
Hopelawn 11.0 321 AM 3/22 Social Media
Sayreville 10.0 1109 PM 3/21 Social Media
Spotswood 10.0 1055 PM 3/21 Social Media
East Brunswick 10.0 1102 PM 3/21 Trained Spotter
Woodbridge 10.0 1033 PM 3/21 over 1 inch per hour
Cranbury 9.7 130 AM 3/22 Social Media
Perth Amboy 9.0 1103 PM 3/21 Trained Spotter
Monroe Twp 9.0 1103 PM 3/21 Trained Spotter
Edison 9.0 1204 AM 3/22 Newspaper