ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Jets 2020 Season Thread

Waived, not traded
Cant believe Joe Douglas got zip for him........
tenor.gif

Should have waived Gase instead. If the Jets really wanted to figure out what they have in Darnold before next year's draft, need to have SOMETHING resembling talent around him. And a new playcaller and head coach as well.

As a Jet fan for 55 years I beg the Jets to please move on from this guy. It is impossible to watch this team. They are so bad in every facet of the game. I realize that the personnel isn't very good as the last two GMs have been horrendous but week in and week out the team looks so unprepared and completely non competitive. As I had said before I'm so sick of watching him write little notes on his play sheet which a NY sportswriter described as a menu sheet from Denny's.
Every shot of him on the sidelines he is standing alone!!! I can't recall the last time I saw him speak to an assistant or a player. A column in the Post talked about how Peyton Manning decided not to enter the draft after the disaster of the '96 Kotite team and that Trevor Lawrence might feel the same way today.
Even if Lawrence comes out I wouldn't put it past the Jets to trade the pick or take someone else.
Look at the first three rounds of the draft from 2012 until 2017. Let's give them a pass on the last three years to see if there is development. During that time they drafted 19 players in Rounds 1-3. At this time a grand total of four are still in the league and only two(Maye, Jenkins) are with the Jets. Most of the others had very brief or even non existent NFL careers.
It's intolerable.

Jets may need to hire Dabo!
While I don't think he would leave Clemson, I could see a scenario where if Dabo was to leave Clemson for the NFL, it would be Atlanta (Trevor Lawrence's favorite NFL team). Could be an Elway scenario as well. Jets will most likely need to trade the pick for a haul of players / draft choices.

Why would Dabo ever leave Clemson for the Jets? Hes a god in Clemson and the only place he should think of going to would be Alabama... maybe.

21.5 is a lot of points. I thought Buffalo -10 was free money yesterday, then the Bills offense came down with a case of Endzonaphobia. That early TD by the Jets was enough to blow the spread.

Rut Roh for the Jets:

If the Jets had bothered to build an OL then Darnold wouldn’t be running for his life every game. Could have invested in OL instead of RB Le’Veon Bell.

McCagnan was another in a long list of disasters as GM of the Jets.Possibly the worst run franchise in major sports imo.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
If the Jets had bothered to build an OL then Darnold wouldn’t be running for his life every game. Could have invested in OL instead of RB Le’Veon Bell.

McCagnan was another in a long list of disasters as GM of the Jets.Possibly the worst run franchise in major sports imo.
The knicks say haaaaay!!! 👋😎

Reactions: Knightmoves
I tuned into NFL Network for gameday coverage - thought I heard Ray Lucas’ distinctive voice doing some analysis, but it’s Terrell Davis.

I'm a 55 year Jet fan and this is a question I'm asking myself. With the glut of QB injuries recently in the league there seems like no better time to put him on the block. I don't know if he's the answer or not and I don't think 8 more games will make a difference.
Could they get a second and fifth round pick for him and if you're a team in need of a QB would you give up that much or is that too high a price. Obviously they would be going all in with whoever they draft, Lawrence or Fields.
Opinions

You can't trade Darnold now. Although it probably won't happen, there is still a chance the Jets may win a couple games and not be in position to draft Lawrence or Fields in 2021.

I'm a lifelong Jets fan and NYJ season-ticket holder since 1987.

Reactions: colbert17
@PiscatawayMike ,
I understand. I'm wondering if Douglas has seen enough of the kid to fairly evaluate him. But if they do finish with the #1 do they pick Lawrence? Then do you have a QB battle with a new head coach or does Douglas trade Darnold?

@PiscatawayMike ,
I understand. I'm wondering if Douglas has seen enough of the kid to fairly evaluate him. But if they do finish with the #1 do they pick Lawrence? Then do you have a QB battle with a new head coach or does Douglas trade Darnold?
It's all a mystery right now. When it comes to the the Jets, the only thing we know is that whatever move they make will probably be the wrong one.

When do the Harbaugh to Jets rumors heat up? Though I think Eric bieniemy ends up their coach for next year.

When do the Harbaugh to Jets rumors heat up? Though I think Eric bieniemy ends up their coach for next year.
I can't imagine the Jets replacing a failed coach who built his career on incorrectly getting credit for a offense run by a HOF QB in Denver, with a new coach who is getting credit for a offense run by a HOF coach and HOF QB in Kansas City.

Reactions: RUBama21
@PiscatawayMike ,
You don't pass on Michael Jordan because you have Clyde Drexler. I mean you could - it's been done before - but you shouldn't.

And we have zero indication that Sam Darnold is Clyde Drexler.

One way or another, Jets must make a decision on Darnold by the end of this year. He has a four year contract with a team option for a fifth year. However, that option must be exercised at the end of year three (this year).

You don't pass on Michael Jordan because you have Clyde Drexler. I mean you could - it's been done before - but you shouldn't.

And we have zero indication that Sam Darnold is Clyde Drexler.

One way or another, Jets must decide on Darnold by the end of this year. He has a four year contract with a team option for a fifth year. However, that option must be exercised at the end of year three (this year).
Pump your brakes. Unlike basketball, football is about the sum of the parts. Not individuals. You can have Michael Jordan on your team, but if the rest of it still stinks, you're still stuck in the same position...last place going nowhere fast. A lot of bad talent surrounds Darnold, and it shows. Darnold happens to play a position that takes too much credit when things go well and too much of the blame when it goes south. Also, the coaching stinks. The Jets need an offensive line to protect the QB and open up the run game. The Jets could use an RB because Gore is beyond done. The receivers can't stay healthy, and for once (against the New England), they were healthy enough to show they can look like NFL receivers and help the QB. Darnold hasn't had that opportunity for most of his short career.

IMO, the Jets should trade down in the first round to gain more picks because they have too many holes to plug. Getting another QB in the first round only endangers the new QB because the OL issue remains a problem.

For the record, Darnold has shown enough to be an average QB in the NFL. The question becomes, will the Jets ever give him enough to work with to see if he can move up to the upper half of NFL QB.

Again with the "pass on a generational QB" because of "but the OL! So many holes!".

Every team with the #1 pick has alot of holes to plug. The biggest and most important plug is QB.

Should Arizona have traded back? They just took Rosen and had so many holes to fill.
Should Cincinnati have traded back? They had so many holes to fill.

If you think Trevor/Fields are generational talents (not saying they are but up to the teams to decide) then you take him no matter what.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Again with the "pass on a generational QB" because of "but the OL! So many holes!".

Every team with the #1 pick has alot of holes to plug. The biggest and most important plug is QB.

Should Arizona have traded back? They just took Rosen and had so many holes to fill.
Should Cincinnati have traded back? They had so many holes to fill.

If you think Trevor/Fields are generational talents (not saying they are but up to the teams to decide) then you take him no matter what.
The Jets have a historical number of holes. If people really studied other teams, they would realize Arizona or Cincy had fewer problems than the Jets. The Jets problems start with ownership and continued with several GMs and HCs.

Let the rest of us know when that "once in a generational QB" can catch his own passes will blocking for himself, then run the ball to take pressure off himself in the passing game?

Ask the Charges about taking a generational QB (Leaf) and how it has worked out for them?

Building a football team is more like putting a puzzle together. You have to fit the pieces together before you see the big picture. Trevor or Fields can't make receivers who struggle to catch suddenly get hands of glue. Stop looking at the sexy picks and look at building a team.

Last edited:
The Jets have a historical number of holes. If people really studied other teams, they would realize Arizona or Cincy had fewer problems than the Jets. The Jets problems start with ownership and continued with several GMs and HCs.

Let the rest of us know when that "once in a generational QB" can catch his own passes will blocking for himself, then run the ball to take pressure off himself in the passing game?

Ask the Giants about taking the best available player (Barkley) on their board and how it has worked out for them?

Building a football team is more like putting a puzzle together. You have to fit the pieces together before you see the big picture. Trevor or Fields can't make receivers who struggle to catch suddenly get hands of glue. Stop looking at the sexy picks and look at building a team.

#1 Gettleman should have been fired the moment he picked Barkley. If you dont like any of the QBs, fine, but a RB was the worst possible pick.

#2 Yes its a puzzle. And you start with QB.
After you have a QB you build around him.
Only after you have a QB, you start upgrading receivers and the rest. If you dont have a QB, you can't even start the puzzle.
Picking a QB isn't the sexy pick. It's the first step.

You are saying the Jets should build around Darnold.
Pay him $9m in 2021 and pick up his 2022 option for $25m?
And start working on a long term contract extension?

I'm not a Jets fan so haven't seen much of him - wonder how Jets fan feel about Darnold being their QB of the future.

Also, the coaching stinks.
This week's game against the Patriots was an abject example of that!
Eh, what the hell do you know about football?

Ask the Charges about taking a generational QB (Leaf) and how it has worked out for them?

Scorching hot take here. You know Lawrence doesn’t have to play right away if they take him, right?

Scorching hot take here. You know Lawrence doesn’t have to play right away if they take him, right?
I agree, but that's old school thinking, and people today are against this approach. Don't forget we are talking Jets here. They will figure a way to screw this up.

I agree, but that's old school thinking, and people today are against this approach. Don't forget we are talking Jets here. They will figure a way to screw this up.

Ehhh...I’m willing to give this GM the benefit of the doubt and trust his picks. Becton looks like a stalwart future All-Pro at LT. Think he had a really solid first draft plus he’ll get to pick his own Head Coach in the offseason.

Reactions: RUBama21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT