ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2019 NY Yankees Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didi is playing rehab games at Scranton (he appears a bit rusty offensively). He could be back as early as next week. Stanton is getting close too... I think he's doing things down in Tampa (it sounds like he's a couple of weeks away). Judge is doing baseball activities in the outfield and is hitting off a tee. He might be a few short weeks away. I don't think Betances is far off either.
I can't even remember what was Betances injury, hard to keep track of everything!

Didi is playing rehab games at Scranton (he appears a bit rusty offensively). He could be back as early as next week. Stanton is getting close too... I think he's doing things down in Tampa (it sounds like he's a couple of weeks away). Judge is doing baseball activities in the outfield and is hitting off a tee. He might be a few short weeks away. I don't think Betances is far off either.
When Betances returns, do we need our starters to only go four innings ?

When Betances returns, do we need our starters to only go four innings ?

Maybe once in a while if needed... I think they are more likely to use a few guys every other day (on days when you have a small lead or it's a tie game). I just don't want to blow out arms where they are tired when September and October arrive.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Yanks win 5-3 Saturday night to clinch the short is ties and go 9 1/2 games up on the Sox heading into Sunday's game. Woohoo!

It's gonna be interesting to see who Boone uses out of the bullpen Sunday night...as he's used all of his main guys two days in a row.

I would expect Hale to be first man out. That’s my guess anyway.
Hale and Cessa are the only two fresh bullpen arms. Holder should be available too since I don't think he went Friday and only pitched one yesterday. I think Nestor got sent down but not 100% sure.

It's gonna be interesting to see who Boone uses out of the bullpen Sunday night...as he's used all of his main guys two days in a row.
You just knew that when the Yanks went to the bullpen....problem.
Not a Cessa fan. And that guy in right field needs to DH or sit.

You just knew that when the Yanks went to the bullpen....problem.
Not a Cessa fan. And that guy in right field needs to DH or sit.
In the post game some players and the manager all said he needs to play and learn. I strongly feel, not in this case.
You will never hear me bad mouth a Yankee, but this kid should not be allowed to be in the field at any time, I don't recall ever seeing worse. I don't know if he can learn outfield, but not on a major league team, in the middle of a pennant race.

Reactions: Kbee3
What is a starter? Wasn't a starter a pitcher whose arm was built up to start a game and the goal was to try to pitch a complete game?

Max Sherzer apparently thinks so... he yelled at his manager when he was going to be pulled with two outs in the 8th and then proceeds to strike out Joey Votto on three pitches (the last one his 120th of the day).

I'm not saying that every pitcher has to do that, but isn't it reasonable to expect the average MLB starter to go 6 innings with some regularity?

It’s a good thing Cashman didn’t sign Kuechel or Verlander when he had the chance.

So true.
BTW, German hurt. CC may be as well. Betances may be gone for the season.
The ship is leaking.
Betances “may be out for the season”? Did you read/hear that somewhere?

Never mind - just heard them talk about it during the game.

Last edited:
It’s a good thing Cashman didn’t sign Kuechel or Verlander when he had the chance.
When did they have the chance to sign Verlander? He was traded then he re-signed with the Astros. I get your point, though.

When did they have the chance to sign Verlander? He was traded then he re-signed with the Astros. I get your point, though.
You know, ever since you found out about those tickets, the Yanks have been tanking. FYI.

Reactions: Rhuarc
Not the way you draw it up but a win’s a win. The bullpen needs to get their shit together.

Nobody expected Verlander to have a rebirth of his career in Houston. Honestly, I wasn't upset that the Yankees didn't get him until I saw how great he surprisingly pitched for the Astros.

In the post game some players and the manager all said he needs to play and learn. I strongly feel, not in this case.
You will never hear me bad mouth a Yankee, but this kid should not be allowed to be in the field at any time, I don't recall ever seeing worse. I don't know if he can learn outfield, but not on a major league team, in the middle of a pennant race.
He'll be fine. He's young, and this is his first real season in Major League parks. When he was up two years ago his fielding was fine and it has been this year too for the most part. I think this has been mental more than anything else. One error led to another led to overthinking. Besides, Frazier's been very productive at the plate- top five on the team in hits, RBI, homers, average and OPS.

Lots of people wanted to throw in the towel on Gary last year and he turned it around pretty well this year. Clint's putting all the extra work in on his fielding; I'm still confident that he will be fine long term. Of course, this could all be moot; not ponying up the extra million to sign Keuchel could well cost the Yanks Frazier in a trade for a starter.

Nobody expected Verlander to have a rebirth of his career in Houston. Honestly, I wasn't upset that the Yankees didn't get him until I saw how great he surprisingly pitched for the Astros.
Honestly, I'm not even sure he has that rebirth if he ended up somewhere other than Houston. That staff has a real knack for getting far more out of their pitchers than you would think. Every guy that goes there in the last five years or so seems to start pitching at another level. Look at Gerrit Cole. Good pitcher in P'burgh but who would have thought he'd be leading the league in k's?

Honestly, I'm not even sure he has that rebirth if he ended up somewhere other than Houston. That staff has a real knack for getting far more out of their pitchers than you would think. Every guy that goes there in the last five years or so seems to start pitching at another level. Look at Gerrit Cole. Good pitcher in P'burgh but who would have thought he'd be leading the league in k's?
Rx

Reactions: czxqa
That Didi play looked like something my team does in softball. Almost as ugly as Chapman's performance. Man, when he's off, he's really off. Sanchez did a great job of not letting those wide 100 mph heaters go to the screen. I can't believe I just typed those words.

That Didi play looked like something my team does in softball. Almost as ugly as Chapman's performance. Man, when he's off, he's really off. Sanchez did a great job of not letting those wide 100 mph heaters go to the screen. I can't believe I just typed those words.
Tommy Kahnle was the biggest reason we almost lost that game.

Paxton killed any chance we had tonight. Him and Boone going to guys just up from AAA when he finally pulled Paxton.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
Paxton killed any chance we had tonight. Him and Boone going to guys just up from AAA when he finally pulled Paxton.
Meh, always hard to sweep a doubleheader, even against a triple A team like the Mets.

Am I the only person who thinks Paxton's knee is still bothering him? When he came back from the IL, he said the knee didn't "hurt" but that he still felt "something" in there.

Am I the only person who thinks Paxton's knee is still bothering him? When he came back from the IL, he said the knee didn't "hurt" but that he still felt "something" in there.
Certainly looks like it is still bothering him.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT