ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Potential Significant to Major Winter Storm Saturday, 1/29/22 (but high uncertainty)

images
The trifecta of lower abdominal insults? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: bac2therac
I have drifts as high as my outdoor dining table but then have other spots were I can see grass. Still blowing snow falling. Will likely bite the bullet soon and go out and at least clear out the end of the driveway since that is probably thigh high at this point giving the multiple plow passes.

wow, didn't think you'd have that much, but you got that nice band this morning - up to 6.25" now, as we had 4.75" at 4:30 am, so that's only 1.5" the past 4.5 hours, as we just haven't had good rates. Have seen reports on the boards of 7.5" in Carteret and 8.0" in Staten Island and 8.0" in Monroe, so more to my east and south as expected. Looks like maybe 1-2 more hours of some chance at more accumulation anywhere along and NW of 95; the snows continue at the shore, though, where they're just getting crushed, with some reports up to 18".
Took a nap and did some shoveling and walking around and as of 12:00 pm, we have 7.25" here in Metuchen, which was very, very hard to measure with the windblown snow, so it was probably an average of at least 20 measurements around the yard (the snowboard measurement seemed a touch high to me at 7.6") which is close to my 8.25" prediction - wasn't sure we'd get that close a few hours ago, but the mostly light snow still delivered 1/3" per hour for the last 3 hours. 19F now.

Debating what to do with the 1/4" I got yesterday in the late morning - saw some pros saying to include it - if so, I got 7.5". I'm inclined to not include it, as it was from the front/clipper and we had many hours of no snow after that. Don't think we'll get more than another 1/4", looking at the radar. Posters I trust around me got 8.5" in Carteret, 7" in P'way, 8" in Woodbridge, and 7.5" in New Brunswick, so I think my 7.25" is likely reasonable.

Just shoveled off back deck wait till stops to get snowblower cranked up measured 8.5-9 Monroe Middlesex Cty no real drifting here. Plow went down front of house while out but not down side where driveway is ???? Id say not a bust here

Reactions: rurichdog
Yeah... rat bastard motherf*ckin' snow. I got everything about 95% done before the pieceashit snowblower packed it in, which was 2 hours ago. So now I'm just sitting here waiting for it to stop so I can go out and shovel.
If you don't have any dogs, I'll come over and work on your snowblower carburetor.

Too deep for the dog to pee in middletown, 80lb dog so not some little runt either.
Have shoveled the 14 inches we got at the shore 3 times so far but keeps filling up. I try to stay ahead of it and do a little at a time. We have 2 smaller dogs - a Chihuahua and a King Charles Cavalier and had to shovel an area for them to go out back to piss early this morning My wife just wanted me to send them out in the snow but I sympathized with them. I wouldn’t want to go out in 14 inches of snow and 20 degrees with my naked balls covered in snow either.

Just got done but it’s still coming down pretty good in Summit. Can’t tell how much because of snow drift.

Lucky us the last place it's snowing inland is the 195 corridor.
I guess I am inland,but I consider this part of Wall and the Eastern part of Howell "the coastal plain." Never thought about whether 3 miles from the beach makes that big of a different. Maybe @knightfan7 and I can compare measurements. Problem is finding a reliable spot in the yard- some less than 6 inches, and some are probably 15-18". As said above, it's really not too bad. Even the wind and the snow was not too bad, and it was kind of refreshing having the snowblower discharge getting blown back in my face. Yeah- it's weird.

It's not the carb. The engine is actually running really well. The auger stopped engaging, so I'm thinking the auger belt is gone.
You got all the snow out of the auger and the chute? One thing I did once was get some sort of yard debris stuck in the auger, and after clearing that, all was good. Took out a flower pot in today's work.

You got all the snow out of the auger and the chute? One thing I did once was get some sort of yard debris stuck in the auger, and after clearing that, all was good. Took out a flower pot in today's work.

Yeah, it's all cleaned out. I can hear the PTO 'click' when I squeeze the lever, but nothing spins.

Friggin' chinese snowblowers. They're all crap, anymore.

We have 2 smaller dogs - a Chihuahua and a King Charles Cavalier and had to shovel an area for them to go out back to piss early this morning My wife just wanted me to send them out in the snow but I sympathized with them
I have one small dog Yorkie/ Dachshund mix it's only his second snow so he doesn't have the hang of it yet. The two Great Pyrenees went flying out the door at 5 am bounding through the snow, Lincoln decided to follow them right into it, Poof Gone! Next thing I know I see movement in the snow tearing ass back to the house. My little dog came back dressed as the Abominable Snow man.

That is me. I am equal distance between exit 16 and 21 and 1 mile due south of the highway

Still snowing here
Yea you're in Jackson, you're part of the last of the heavy inland snow in NJ. I mean it's snowing now as heavy as it has snowed this entire event. News 12 is saying it's going to be enough to put down another 1".

Last edited:
Took a nap and did some shoveling and walking around and as of 12:00 pm, we have 7.25" here in Metuchen, which was very, very hard to measure with the windblown snow, so it was probably an average of at least 20 measurements around the yard (the snowboard measurement seemed a touch high to me at 7.6") which is close to my 8.25" prediction - wasn't sure we'd get that close a few hours ago, but the mostly light snow still delivered 1/3" per hour for the last 3 hours. 19F now.

Debating what to do with the 1/4" I got yesterday in the late morning - saw some pros saying to include it - if so, I got 7.5". I'm inclined to not include it, as it was from the front/clipper and we had many hours of no snow after that. Don't think we'll get more than another 1/4", looking at the radar. Posters I trust around me got 8.5" in Carteret, 7" in P'way, 8" in Woodbridge, and 7.5" in New Brunswick, so I think my 7.25" is likely reasonable.
Damn, radar not showing it well, but we're getting some moderate snow right now. Might get another 1/2" since my noon measurement. Keep thinking the storm is over and it keeps going, albeit at a mostly light clip. Had 4.75" at 4:30 am, mostly over about 7 hours (about 0.7" per hour, with only one hour at a 1" per hour clip) and then only got 1.5" over the next 4.5 hours (1/3"/hr) to get to 6.25", and the radar was looking really weak, so I was thinking we would not get to 7". But since 9 am, we went from 6.25" to 7.25" over 3 hours (still 1/3" per hour). Usually if we get a 7"+ storm, there would be some hours with 1" per hour and once it tailed off it would be over soon after that, but this one keeps chugging, slowly. I kind of like the "slow" snowstorm more than I thought I would as it's been more hours seeing the snow falling, which I love.

Damn, radar not showing it well, but we're getting some moderate snow right now. Might get another 1/2" since my noon measurement. Keep thinking the storm is over and it keeps going, albeit at a mostly light clip. Had 4.75" at 4:30 am, mostly over about 7 hours (about 0.7" per hour, with only one hour at a 1" per hour clip) and then only got 1.5" over the next 4.5 hours (1/3"/hr) to get to 6.25", and the radar was looking really weak, so I was thinking we would not get to 7". But since 9 am, we went from 6.25" to 7.25" over 3 hours (still 1/3" per hour). Usually if we get a 7"+ storm, there would be some hours with 1" per hour and once it tailed off it would be over soon after that, but this one keeps chugging, slowly. I kind of like the "slow" snowstorm more than I thought I would as it's been more hours seeing the snow falling, which I love.
For you, @bac2therac or @rurichdog - CBS 2 said at about 11 a.m., the Jersey Shore should be in the clear by 2 p.m., meaning no more snow. What do you think? Snowfall seems to be letting up a bit.

This threat has become unreadable (I get it, “so don’t read it.” II plan to not read starting now) with all the bitching, ”I told you so’s,” nastiness, and other assorted Fourth grade bullshit.

its definitely winding down for me, the dry air has reached northern and western somerset so for me it may shut off within the hour, cannot say with any clarity for you guys but they may think it just rapidly pulls away

This threat has become unreadable (I get it, “so don’t read it.” II plan to not read starting now) with all the bitching, ”I told you so’s,” nastiness, and other assorted Fourth grade bullshit.

I think you are reading the wrong thread, this thread has been pretty calm, a few small spats today but i really dont recall much arguing in the past few pages

@Knight Shift @knightfan7 @koleszar we got a lot here.

20” in the front yard. Much deeper drifts on the side of the house. And still snowing.

Went into a snow bank on the Parkway that appeared out of nowhere at the express and local lanes merge on my way home from work this morning.

A young kid from the Glendola house just happened to be driving by in his Central Towing truck and got me out real fast. Said he knew you.

Someone else went into the same snowbank right after I got pulled out.

I guess I am inland,but I consider this part of Wall and the Eastern part of Howell "the coastal plain." Never thought about whether 3 miles from the beach makes that big of a different. Maybe @knightfan7 and I can compare measurements. Problem is finding a reliable spot in the yard- some less than 6 inches, and some are probably 15-18". As said above, it's really not too bad. Even the wind and the snow was not too bad, and it was kind of refreshing having the snowblower discharge getting blown back in my face. Yeah- it's weird.
All I know is that it’s a lot of f***ing snow behind the Shop Rite on 34. Birdbath in a protected corner of my back patio has a good 16-18” worth. So happy the HOA clears out most of it.

Reactions: Knight Shift
yeah there might be some drifting effecting my measurements, Rock was measuring 3.5 in hillsborough, i see the guy on americanwx who lives in sourlands mountains had 4.75 so I think my 5 is pretty accurate and we have added a bit to that especially the last 15 minutes and figure to finally finish around 6.

we will see the final tallies but I did good with my 5-8 prediction, i should have included northern somerset in my 3-6 and I should have known better to split the county.

@RU848789 do you know what the site was that i posted a couple years back that gave update snowfall totals in real time, it was not cocorohas, it was a site like a excel grid and took reports from everywhere but it was not a nws site. I didnt bookmark and i would imagine trying to find it in an old weather thread is like finding a needle in a haystack
Are you thinking of the CoCoRahs table of snowfalls for NJ, which one can sort by county? It's pretty good and I added a link and screenshot below. Like the NWS reports, one has to be careful, as any reports from a location that are well before the storm was over are incomplete. I see way too many people saying, look, so and so only had X snowfall, not realizing it was 3 hours before the storm was over.

https://www.cocorahs.org/ViewData/ListDailyPrecipReports.aspx

hr3zlWC.png

@Knight Shift @knightfan7 @koleszar we got a lot here.

20” in the front yard. Much deeper drifts on the side of the house. And still snowing.

Went into a snow bank on the Parkway that appeared out of nowhere at the express and local lanes merge on my way home from work this morning.

A young kid from the Glendola house just happened to be driving by in his Central Towing truck and got me out real fast. Said he knew you.

Someone else went into the same snowbank right after I got pulled out.
Glad you got out safely and got home. Good folks over at Glendola.

All I know is that it’s a lot of f***ing snow behind the Shop Rite on 34. Birdbath in a protected corner of my back patio has a good 16-18” worth. So happy the HOA clears out most of it.
We have 4 foot eaves (overhangs) on our house. meticulously stacked the firewood against the house and under the eaves by our back patio door. Never had snow drifts under the eaves, but we have them, covering the firewood. Brushing it off and keeping the wood stove burning.

At the girlfriend's in Wall, near the high school. Hard to say for certain but I'd guess at least a foot with lots of drifts. Still snowing here as of 10 after 1 and some wind. Did I mention, she's in Miami on business? If I wasn't joining her on Wed., I'd be sending her thoughts of torrential rain. LOL.

Reactions: rurichdog
So we got another 1/4", since my noon measurement to get us to 7.5" as of 1 pm. O the radar it is finally looking like it might be done though. Pretty good storm and, overall, very well forecast, with even the "busts" being maybe a couple of inches low or high vs. forecast.

Are you thinking of the CoCoRahs table of snowfalls for NJ, which one can sort by county? It's pretty good and I added a link and screenshot below. Like the NWS reports, one has to be careful, as any reports from a location that are well before the storm was over are incomplete. I see way too many people saying, look, so and so only had X snowfall, not realizing it was 3 hours before the storm was over.

https://www.cocorahs.org/ViewData/ListDailyPrecipReports.aspx

hr3zlWC.png

no its another site and its update every 15 minutes, a few years back someone posted it on 33andrain or americanwx and I was linked it here, really informative because unlike Cocohoras they updated like every 15 minutes......on a day when i have nothing to do i will have to look through all the old threads

Have shoveled the 14 inches we got at the shore 3 times so far but keeps filling up. I try to stay ahead of it and do a little at a time. We have 2 smaller dogs - a Chihuahua and a King Charles Cavalier and had to shovel an area for them to go out back to piss early this morning My wife just wanted me to send them out in the snow but I sympathized with them. I wouldn’t want to go out in 14 inches of snow and 20 degrees with my naked balls covered in snow either.
Well he woke me up at 3am to go out, so I just pushed open the door this time even though there was a snow drift, and let him try with a smile on my face. Didnt feel bad for him, payback is a bitch sometimes. Kids went out there with the shovel just now to help him out.

Islip has had 8 straight hours of blizzard conditions and probably has 2 feet of snow by now. Not sure if people realize how close this storm was to delivering 1-2 foot amounts for all of us, as a couple of models showed at times, if a few things upstream had just played out slightly differently.

My other meteorological comment is I've seen a couple of posters reporting snow:liquid ratios of about 12:1, which is what I was thinking it was this morning. This means the NWS was a little off (they were predicting 14-15:1) and Kuchera was off even more (15-16:1 for most locations and up to 20:1 NW). Have never liked the Kuchera maps, but yesterday was thinking they'd be reasonable, so I included them along with the 10:1 maps, which ended up being better predictors. Will likely go back to just showing 10:1 maps in the future, unless we have an unusual case.

I'd say the 14+ is close. Still pretty windy (25-30?) so I don't know if there's anywhere to get a true measure.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT