ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Potential Significant to Major Winter Storm Saturday, 1/29/22 (but high uncertainty)

Islip has had 8 straight hours of blizzard conditions and probably has 2 feet of snow by now. Not sure if people realize how close this storm was to delivering 1-2 foot amounts for all of us, as a couple of models showed at times, if a few things upstream had just played out slightly differently.

My other meteorological comment is I've seen a couple of posters reporting snow:liquid ratios of about 12:1, which is what I was thinking it was this morning. This means the NWS was a little off (they were predicting 14-15:1) and Kuchera was off even more (15-16:1 for most locations and up to 20:1 NW). Have never liked the Kuchera maps, but yesterday was thinking they'd be reasonable, so I included them along with the 10:1 maps, which ended up being better predictors. Will likely go back to just showing 10:1 maps in the future, unless we have an unusual case.

agree because its way too variable to figure out ratios, kuchera I think is more valuable in wet snow events or when there are mixing issues

Reactions: RU848789
Manasquan Park here. Across street from Manasquan River.
There's about 3 inches on the ground, and it is snowing, but not very hard. I'm going to live to regret typing this. 🤣
Going out to clear a pass now to cut down on the work tomorrow.

Great spot! And yes lol thats the best method. I think we will all be OK with this one. Glad you aren't getting buried.
I own what I typed. Still was not too bad to clear.
The storm earlier this year that had heavy wet snow was worse to clear than this one.

It's not the carb. The engine is actually running really well. The auger stopped engaging, so I'm thinking the auger belt is gone.
If the auger is not spinning you probably broke the shear pins ; otherwise it's the belt. There might be a few spares on the handle of the machine.

Just went outside to check, likely 4-5 inches at most. However, probably only half that to shovel due to the wind. Enough for the kids to play in and sled, so mission accomplished.

Definitely another forecast bust. Will they ever learn?
First off, I'm sure you're underreporting, which you always do, and secondly, I'm surprised you'd slam bac so hard on his forecast. He and I were actually pretty well aligned yesterday (and close to the NWS forecast) and thought the forecasts were pretty good.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
I think you are reading the wrong thread, this thread has been pretty calm, a few small spats today but i really dont recall much arguing in the past few pages
Thought it was pretty good also - helps when you and I can disagree agreeably, which I think we did on a few things, although we were pretty well aligned throughout. If it weren't for T and goruwhatever, there wouldn't have been any trolling and their trolling was just so weak. And the various tangents were entertaining and harmless and what makes this board fun and interesting.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Or the fratus.
Remember, @Bleem Phuppert lost the cannonball to Jacksonville.

367aba29-4d60-49dc-9e23-799c2886d897_text.gif

As forecast the shore got hit hard. The worst has past as the heavy bands now solidly off coast.
In Philadelphia you can call it a bust. No where near some of the forecasts even as of late yesterday afternoon. Easy shovel. No boots needed. Will rap up soon here
Philly was in the 6-8" swath from the NWS for multiple forecasts, although they did list Philly going from 6" to 7.2" yesterday afternoon, but most reports were within the 6-8" swath (I took the two from before 9 am out, since they were too early) which I think is reasonable. Were local forecasters calling for more (I don't usually see Philly forecasts)?

...Philadelphia County...
1 W Belmont 8.9 in 1230 PM 01/29 Trained Spotter
Philadelphia Internati 7.5 in 0100 PM 01/29 ASOS
Rittenhouse Square 6.2 in 0924 AM 01/29 Public
1 SE Point Breeze 6.0 in 1000 AM 01/29 Trained Spotter
South Philadelphia 4.5 in 1027 AM 01/29 Public

Last edited:
Reactions: rurichdog
We went to key west for our honeymoon back in June since leaving the country was still sketchy during covid. It’s awesome there. I’ve been 3 times and it always gets better. We stayed at the Kimpton Bungalos. Where are you staying?
We have stayed at southernmost beach resort the last couple times but opted for a VRBO at the Galleon resort in Mallory square this time

my neighbor is reporting 16 inches in OC with more coming

Philly was in the 6-8" swath from the NWS for multiple forecasts, although they did list Philly going from 6" to 7.9" yesterday afternoon, but most reports were within the 6-8" swath (I took the two from before 9 am out, since they were too early) which I think is reasonable. Were local forecasters calling for more (I don't usually see Philly forecasts)?

...Philadelphia County...
1 W Belmont 8.9 in 1230 PM 01/29 Trained Spotter
Philadelphia Internati 7.5 in 0100 PM 01/29 ASOS
Rittenhouse Square 6.2 in 0924 AM 01/29 Public
1 SE Point Breeze 6.0 in 1000 AM 01/29 Trained Spotter
South Philadelphia 4.5 in 1027 AM 01/29 Public
Well I'm in South Philly. And we have had this discussion many times before. The Point Breeze "trained spotter" is way over every time. Should not be reporting after the last storm. Look up Point Breeze location. It's in South Philly!
All but one map you posted yesterday was high 7 or 8+
The Airport isn't close to the city and I bet had accumulation yesterday afternoon as it's not in the urban jungle. 6ABC and NBC10 both had 4+ for the Art Museum. The lowest was 5.6 in the maps posted you posted late yesterday.
Again changes to forecasts while the event has started is not an forecast it is an observation.

Storm's going to start soon, folks - probably by 9-10 pm for most, lightly, and the heaviest snow will fall between about 1 am and 11 am Saturday, so be safe, but enjoy...

Updated NWS snowfall maps, below, which have been increased a small amount (an inch or so in most places) vs. 4 am this morning. Also, as per below, they're generally using a snow:liquid ratio of 14:1, which is close to the Kuchera ratio of 15:1 for snowfall maps for this event, at least for 95/coast. I also included the NBM, national blend of models snowfall map that the NWS often uses to guide their forecasts. Think I've had enough of models and maps - time to watch the radar, observations, meso trends and looking out my window and enjoying it all - even shoveling, lol.

One last time: this setup is exquisitely delicate and volatile, such that small changes, even now, could have substantial impacts on the snowfall. As such, the bust potential on both the low and high side is higher than normal.

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/208...cussion/page/314/?tab=comments#comment-317275

sPJpTTt.png

0TR6Nkf.png

tOSlFkD.png
No 6 in these maps

And, of course, the Euro moves back east and weaker with less precip (due to a later phase) to almost where the GFS is now. Can't make this up, lol. Still a major snowstorm for 95 and eastward, but not the storm it was advertising the past few runs. Never easy...

gtV3YfW.png

BmAOTiq.png
No 6in in this map.
Why do you have to start shit with me every time? You have admitted the numbers in other places didn't hit the forecast but you have to single out my post as being inaccurate when I am spot on. It didn't make 6in in South Philly! Right! I'm the guy that lives in Philadelphia. But you act like you do. Idiotic.

This house fire was Tuesday a mile from the Herbertsville Fire House.

It's now 11:40 and for the past hour it's been snowing heavy once again in Howell. I thought this thing would taper off by now. Best guess we're now crossing into the 10" range. Piggies, Horses, Chickens and Humans not are happy campers right now. The only one's in their Glory are the dogs.
Where are you at, off Herbertsville area? I love driving by all the farms in Howell.
IDGAS what color, it's still snowing fairly heavily here, and the Weather Channel has said 3-4 times since 2 pm that the snow is done in NJ.
It's about done now. Real light.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Just got done with the driveway

My problem is my driveway sits lower than my neighbors on either side and when it is windy there are several areas where I get large drifts of close to 2 feet. I will have to go out tomorrow morning and clear a good 30 feet that will have at least a foot of snow.

Of course I also expect to have to clear the bottom of the driveway where the plow blocks you in

Just got done shoveling/snow blowing in Hamilton. Snow drifts make it tuff to measure. Im going with 8", it was light and fluffy snow. When snow blowing it was blowing right back at your face from the wind. The forecast was spot on for me I'd say. I used my snow rake on the roof hopefully I avoid the ice damns I had last year.
Time for a hot chocolate with fireball

No 6in in this map.
Why do you have to start shit with me every time? You have admitted the numbers in other places didn't hit the forecast but you have to single out my post as being inaccurate when I am spot on. It didn't make 6in in South Philly! Right! I'm the guy that lives in Philadelphia. But you act like you do. Idiotic.
You said, "In Philadelphia you can call it a bust." You didn't say anything about South Philly in that post and my reply was simply pointing out that the Philadelphia reports, other than South Philly, were in the 6-8" range the NWS specified for that area by the yellow color. The specific NWS forecast of 7.9" was for Philadelphia Int'l Airport, as that's the station of record for Philly and what they're specifically referring to if they put a number on a map like they did there. And the Airport reported 7.5", which is pretty damn close to the 7.9" forecast.

You claimed the forecast for "Philadelphia" was a bust and I disagree and I'm trying to show you why. Why that should make you angry is beyond me. If you had said the forecast for South Philly was inaccurate, I would have never responded, since that is correct, as the South Philly report of 4.5" is below the 6-8" range.

Reactions: rurichdog
Just got done with the driveway

My problem is my driveway sits lower than my neighbors on either side and when it is windy there are several areas where I get large drifts of close to 2 feet. I will have to go out tomorrow morning and clear a good 30 feet that will have at least a foot of snow.

Of course I also expect to have to clear the bottom of the driveway where the plow blocks you in
Our street in Metuchen is one of the first to get plowed. I shoveled the first 4" or so at 4 am and on one of my measurements around 7 am saw that they had just plowed. I hate letting that stuff sit, as it's often mixed in with salt and partly melts and refreezes solid if it sits when it's cold as it was. So I shoveled out the driveway bottom around 7 am. We have a driveway that slopes down into the street, which I don't always love, but I do love it when shoveling, as gravity helps, lol.

We have stayed at southernmost beach resort the last couple times but opted for a VRBO at the Galleon resort in Mallory square this time

my neighbor is reporting 16 inches in OC with more coming
So you were able to get out early? Nice - nothing flying in the area today, at least not this morning...

Reactions: newell138
Where are you at, off Herbertsville area? I love driving by all the farms in Howell.
South Howell off Kent Rd. there's a road called Brown which runs from Kent to Ford Rd. It has about 9 small farms and a Dog training facility on it. There's also farms all over this part of Howell on other roads.

You said, "In Philadelphia you can call it a bust." You didn't say anything about South Philly in that post and my reply was simply pointing out that the Philadelphia reports, other than South Philly, were in the 6-8" range the NWS specified for that area by the yellow color. The specific NWS forecast of 7.9" was for Philadelphia Int'l Airport, as that's the station of record for Philly and what they're specifically referring to if they put a number on a map like they did there. And the Airport reported 7.5", which is pretty damn close to the 7.9" forecast.

You claimed the forecast for "Philadelphia" was a bust and I disagree and I'm trying to show you why. Why that should make you angry is beyond me. If you had said the forecast for South Philly was inaccurate, I would have never responded, since that is correct, as the South Philly report of 4.5" is below the 6-8" range.
Jesus and have you done the same with every other post on this thread?? That is why I'm calling you out because you are wrong again and calling me out when you accept everyone else's measurements. Look at your posts again that I highlighted. Maps were way off. Your posts had maps with 8in. Any 8in in CC Philly? Not only that your posts with 8in + was after the event started and still wrong!
Again for the 1000th time measurements at the Philly Airport is in Delaware County.

For OC to have 2 snowstorms over a foot in the same year and same month is probably a first
I'm sure records for OC are sketchy at best, but AC's biggest January snowfall ever is 20.3", which means they couldn't have ever had a January with 2 one-foot storms - don't know about Feb, but unlikely. AC is also ahead of Burlington - VT, not NJ - in seasonal snowfall to date. Crazy.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...zzard-warning-as-snowstorm-approaches/1132971

If the auger is not spinning you probably broke the shear pins ; otherwise it's the belt. There might be a few spares on the handle of the machine.

It's not the shear pins.

Key phrase in earlier post: "Stopped engaging"

It's either the drive belt or the PTO clutch.

Measured 4 inches on the patio table (I imagine a little windblown) and 4.5 inches on the driveway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT