ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Great day for steel, oil, nat gas, and materials companies; they had a rough week last week, but I’m sure some of you jumped in and took advantage on Friday. It’s been a great run so far this year.
I didn't jump in, but I didn't bail out, so today was a good day for sure.

the question still remains: where is the market heading? Growth or value? Cyclical or secular? Materials or Tech?

the question still remains: where is the market heading? Growth or value? Cyclical or secular? Materials or Tech?
Tom Lee still bullish on energy. I'm still majority growth/tech heavy with increased value allocation (the barbell strategy). So far so good!

Reactions: RU-05

That's why you buy the entire market.... Vanguard Total Stock Market fund... no guessing required, you take what the market gives you. That's my strategy anyway.

Reactions: tom1944 and RU-05
If someone is bullish on everything, and is right, then what's the issue?
So the experts pumping the real estate market from 2004-2007 were right as well, until it blew up in the face in historic proportion. So just because assets prices are going up, it doesn’t mean that there isn’t a level of price risk. It’s rare that financial “experts” are consistently bullish. Markets ebb and flow, and as such,strong financial experts often can see the potential downside. We don’t get that too often from Mr. Lee.

So the experts pumping the real estate market from 2004-2007 were right as well, until it blew up in the face in historic proportion. So just because assets prices are going up, it doesn’t mean that there isn’t a level of price risk. It’s rare that financial “experts” are consistently bullish. Markets ebb and flow, and as such,strong financial experts often can see the potential downside. We don’t get that too often from Mr. Lee.
If they were still pumping it just prior to the bubble then no they were not right.

Without that same sell off, we can't critique Lee for being consistently bullish. He has been right thus far, and maybe he does call for caution when the time comes.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus20
If they were still pumping it just prior to the bubble then no they were not right.

Without that same sell off, we can't critique Lee for being consistently bullish. He has been right thus far, and maybe he does call for caution when the time comes.
Nice common sense POV. He's just going Little Bear again.

Sure, it's volatile. Even on the 30K dip it was up 200% yoy. So was he wrong on being bullish on BTC, even if his price target, to this point, has not been met?
When BTC pumps again, it will go well north of it's ATH of $65k. Will that happen this year? Probably, but you never know.

Sure, it's volatile. Even on the 30K dip it was up 200% yoy. So was he wrong on being bullish on BTC, even if his price target, to this point, has not been met?
Now do YTD instead of YOY or from 52 wk high? If you think he made a good call on it, more power to you.

Now do YTD instead of YOY or from 52 wk high? If you think he made a good call on it, more power to you.
The discussion has already recognized that it is down almost 50% off it's highs. YOY was a new point noting that if you were ahead of the curve on BTC, then you've still tripled your money in a year. Thus a bullish call would have proven justified.

And as I've already noted, we are not yet half way through the year. (though most technical analysis think the trend continues downward in the short term).

You understand that there was life prior to Jan 1, 2021 and tomorrow life will continue. Right? You truly are the definition of a LB.

The discussion has already recognized that it is down almost 50% off it's highs. YOY was a new point noting that if you were ahead of the curve on BTC, then you've still tripled your money in a year. Thus a bullish call would have proven justified.

And as I've already noted, we are not yet half way through the year. (though most technical analysis think the trend continues downward in the short term).
He always seems determined to paint the most gloomy picture possible (no matter how artificial). LOL!

Started a position in FDX in extended. Pretty flat since October, looking inexpensive with a 17x 2021 p/e. 10% growth expected for the forseeable. Should have been in either UPS or FDX since last spring, but I think this is a good spot to hop in. Earnings tomorrow, if it dips I'll buy more.

Started a position in FDX in extended. Pretty flat since October, looking inexpensive with a 17x 2021 p/e. 10% growth expected for the forseeable. Should have been in either UPS or FDX since last spring, but I think this is a good spot to hop in. Earnings tomorrow, if it dips I'll buy more.
Consensus ratings are solid:

Haven't mentioned a penny stock in a while, but I think I got a good one.

SPEYF. Canadian based Litium miner, which also has projects in South America. It started trading OTC in the fall but volumes didn't really start get going till a month ago, and has doubled in that time, from .25 to .48 at closing today. Supposedly there extraction process is environmentally friendly.

Like all pennies, this is very much a spec play, still pre revs and a $30 million market cap. But for reference check out LAC, which hasn't shown rev's since 2017(and those were pretty paltry) and it has a $1.8 billion market cap.

Set up a very small position, about .3% of portfolio, a couple weeks ago, at around .32 so I'm up 47% including 17% today.

Lumber which dipped below 900 a couple days ago before bouncing back to 930 closed today at 879.

So that continues the strong downward trend.

Copper down fairly significantly but it never got as high nor has it's drop been as drastic.

Iron Ore and Aluminum both hanging not too far off it's post covid highs.

Aluminum is the lone member of this group that has not come close to it's 10 year highs.

Lumber which dipped below 900 a couple days ago before bouncing back to 930 closed today at 879.

So that continues the strong downward trend.

Copper down fairly significantly but it never got as high nor has it's drop been as drastic.

Iron Ore and Aluminum both hanging not too far off it's post covid highs.

Aluminum is the lone member of this group that has not come close to it's 10 year highs.
#inflationistransitory
:)

#inflationistransitory
:)
I think it will prove to be. For the most part.

I do think it will be more "sticky" then the fed wants to let on, last longer, with more residual effects, but the fed does want some level of inflation, and I think this spike offsets some previous years, as well as fwd looking years, of lower then desired levels of inflation.

You understand that there was life prior to Jan 1, 2021 and tomorrow life will continue. Right? You truly are the definition of a LB.
So, you still think ARK is doing great because of last year’s performance. I’m just providing facts. You guys can spin all you want to make yourself feel better.

And down 7.14% over the last 6 months. Like the actuary who was asked how much is 1 + 1 ? The response "What do you want it to be?"

The 6 month returns is about the only time frame you can find where ARKK is down. 5 year it's way up. 3year is way up. 1 year is way up. 1 month it's up.

But sure find the intermediate time frame where it's down and then act like we are the guys playing with the numbers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT