ADVERTISEMENT

Snow 1/3-1/4? And continued very cold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair Haven/Red Bank area getting crushed. With the wind blown snow pile up I've got a foot outside my door and garage. Still dumping.

Still snowing heavily here in Wall. Radar looks like the storm is not moving. @bac2therac or @RU848789 , when does this end down here in coastal Monmouth?

you have quite a while to go...at least until 4...but you can see everything collapsing on the radar..this puppy is dying

snow has slowed to very light snow here...just about done for me with around 5 inches or so

for those west of 95 you all survived this without it being too bad

Reactions: Knight Shift
Typically these storms that creep up the coast from the south just crush us here at the shore. We have over a foot here in Sea Girt with drifts exceeding three feet. Like others, I'm gonna wait this one out. Doesn't do any good to shovel now. The wind just blows it back.

Both ends

Of the yard

8MX7l.gif

Reactions: bac2therac
Just got in from taking our son to the doc for a sinus infection. Local/county roads and Route 1 are treacherous, but nobody's out, so not that big of a deal). As of noon, we have about 5" of snow, which continues our 1" per hour rates since 8:30 am. Looks like we should make 6".

Really thought it looked like more than 1" per hour, but that's what I measured - and in a windy situation like this, I take the average of about a dozen measurements in our fairly quiescent back yard (away from trees and the house), so I don't think I could measure much better. Have been off line for 90 minutes, which I hate during a storm, but I did get a chance to go for a walk and a drive, which was nice, as it's just gorgeous out there. Time to shovel.

And just got in from shoveling, then going on a little drive. As of 2 pm, we have 6.0", so we surpassed by 5.5" guesstimate; had 1/2" per hour rates for the past 2 hours. Gessing we'll tack on another 1/2" or so before it ends as it's been snowing moslty lightly. Great storm. My one surprise, which I haven't investigated, is I'm pretty sure we got standard 10:1 ratios, not the 15:1 or so many thought we would get, including me (been shoveling for decades and this snow "felt" fairly dense).

Side streets are all snow-covered and a tough go, while county roads are a bit better. Route 1 is very slushy and slow, while 287 has some slushy spots, but isn't that bad, especially since traffic is very light. With the snow ending out here, the rush hour or what's left of it (traffic is really light) might not be too bad near I-95 and west with the snow winding down. I'm sure road/visibility conditions are far worse near the coast.

Monmouth County schools starting to notify of school closings for tomorrow. I have about a foot of snow and 3-4 foot drifts in the Brielle/Mansquan/Wall area.

They were dead on about there being a drastic western cutoff. Ended up with about 1.5” in Northampton county PA.

Reactions: bac2therac
Better than a foot here in Manahawkin and still going. Once we passed a foot the NEW moved us from 8-10" to 9-13." I'm waiting for the next revision.

And just got in from shoveling, then going on a little drive. As of 2 pm, we have 6.0", so we surpassed by 5.5" guesstimate; had 1/2" per hour rates for the past 2 hours. Gessing we'll tack on another 1/2" or so before it ends as it's been snowing moslty lightly. Great storm. My one surprise, which I haven't investigated, is I'm pretty sure we got standard 10:1 ratios, not the 15:1 or so many thought we would get, including me (been shoveling for decades and this snow "felt" fairly dense).

Side streets are all snow-covered and a tough go, while county roads are a bit better. Route 1 is very slushy and slow, while 287 has some slushy spots, but isn't that bad, especially since traffic is very light. With the snow ending out here, the rush hour or what's left of it (traffic is really light) might not be too bad near I-95 and west with the snow winding down. I'm sure road/visibility conditions are far worse near the coast.

You should get a cameraman so you can broadcast this stuff when driving around Middlesex County. Just like the news stations.

Haven't measured since like 1 , looks like over 12 at Freehold/Jackson border. Still snowing at a good rate.

Storm definitely overperformed !

Last edited:
Numbers, definitely standard ratio outside of the bands. Some of the best lift was above the DGZ. In Flemington, all I had we're busted up shards of flakes all day. Might've been less than 10:1

you have quite a while to go...at least until 4...but you can see everything collapsing on the radar..this puppy is dying

snow has slowed to very light snow here...just about done for me with around 5 inches or so

for those west of 95 you all survived this without it being too bad
Just got in from first driveway blowout.

16-18" (measured in 2 spots). Top that, chief!

I would reckon minimally 14 inches in the Freehold Route 9 Corridor and it wouldn't surprise me if it's 16 inches. Thank goodness the snow is light and powdery.

I would reckon minimally 14 inches in the Freehold Route 9 Corridor and it wouldn't surprise me if it's 16 inches. Thank goodness the snow is light and powdery.
I concur with those totals. We're here in Howell and just finished some shoveling and it's over 14" in general with 2 to 3 ft. drifts. It's hilarious watching our dogs run through the snow. They're big at 32" in height and have to bound through it. They don't want to come in again, stuff's like crack to them.

Just waking up from a good nap - only slept an hour or so last night. So, I went out to shovel again around 3:30 pm, after the snow had essentially stopped and ther was close to an inch of snow on the driveway, but I'm pretty sure some of that was blown there, so I didn't just add the 1" to my 6". I did my usual walk around our large relatively quiescent backyard and took about 15 measurements, because there was still some variability, due to blowing. The range was about 4-8" and my overall average was about 6.5", but I'm sure it could've been anywhere from 6 to 7". 6.5" on top of the 10.2" we've had so far brings me to 16.7" for the winter, which is great.

One of my favorite storms to track, but certainly nowhere near my top 10 to experience - never got the intense bands and wasn't that windy this far inland. Huge storm for folks nearer to the coast and from NYC eastward, though.

Just waking up from a good nap - only slept an hour or so last night. So, I went out to shovel again around 3:30 pm, after the snow had essentially stopped and ther was close to an inch of snow on the driveway, but I'm pretty sure some of that was blown there, so I didn't just add the 1" to my 6". I did my usual walk around our large relatively quiescent backyard and took about 15 measurements, because there was still some variability, due to blowing. The range was about 4-8" and my overall average was about 6.5", but I'm sure it could've been anywhere from 6 to 7". 6.5" on top of the 10.2" we've had so far brings me to 16.7" for the winter, which is great.

One of my favorite storms to track, but certainly nowhere near my top 10 to experience - never got the intense bands and wasn't that windy this far inland. Huge storm for folks nearer to the coast and from NYC eastward, though.
That's a sad statement in multiple ways!

Numbers, definitely standard ratio outside of the bands. Some of the best lift was above the DGZ. In Flemington, all I had we're busted up shards of flakes all day. Might've been less than 10:1

Thanks, Johnny, hadn't seen any reports on ratios posted on the weather boards and haven't had time to look at the NWS reports. I wonder if the snowfall down the shore was so much more, just from more precip at the same ratio or partly from higher ratios. Do you know a good source for finding ratios for various locations (the PNS don't show ratios)?

Numbers I always wait until this type of snow stops to shovel and snowblower it. I see you’re shoveling why it’s snowing. Is there any benefit to that ?

Agreed, roads were worse than I expected this morning at around 9am, even county roads that are usually in pretty good shape hadn't been touched. I heard on the radio last night that because of the cold and minor snowfalls we've had so far this winter, the trucks weren't out pre-treating as there was already enough salt and sand on the roads. Perhaps they were wrong about that.
No amount of pre-treating can stop snow falling at rates of about 1/2" or more per hour when temps are well below freezing, as the accumulation rate is well beyond the melting rate from the salt. Even in early April with the much stronger indirect sunlight, heavy snow, beyond maybe 1" per hour will accumuate on treated roads at 32F around midday.

Numbers I always wait until this type of snow stops to shovel and snowblower it. I see you’re shoveling why it’s snowing. Is there any benefit to that ?
Yes, it gets me out in the fallling snow, which I love. Beyond that, the only actual advantage for most people would be doing a couple of smaller shovels is easier than doing it all at once at the end. The other thing I usually try to do is shovel right after the road in front of me is plowed, so that the mass, which usually contains salt, doesn't melt a bit and then freeze solid.

Reactions: Plum Street
Numbers,
I don't know of any news product that does it. Maybe they ask it of the cocohras network? Would be terribly helpful if they did.

Bayville and Margate at 16 inches is the highest I have seen!
Cape May Courthouse reported 17" - most I've seen - may have been added to the list after your post. One thing I find slightly annoying by the NWS PNS's is that at the end of the storm, they don't filter out the very early reports, which are obviously way incomplete and make it appear as if less snow fell if one isn't looking at these carefully. I've often just edited out reports that are more than an hour or two before the end of the storm.

Bayville and Margate at 16 inches is the highest I have seen!

Cape May Courthouse reported 17" - most I've seen - may have been added to the list after your post. One thing I find slightly annoying by the NWS PNS's is that at the end of the storm, they don't filter out the very early reports, which are obviously way incomplete and make it appear as if less snow fell if one isn't looking at these carefully. I've often just edited out reports that are more than an hour or two before the end of the storm.

I measured in two spots in Wall, and I had 16" and 18" . I used a yardstick, and I made sure I was not standing in a snow drift (we have many).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT