ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the Booster Trying to Push Awful Moorhead to Sarg?

SCILS02

Junior
Jul 18, 2012
This is starting to smell like a Brown-Alvarez-Hobbs type caper yet again. I'm not buying it but it would be a COLOSSAL MISTAKE just like Ash. Embarrassing his name is even being mentioned. All the coaches on planet earth and Borehead is a "top candidate?" Smells fishy!

Last edited:
I need to understand why a HC who has been at 2 programs in 5 seasons and has never had a losing record, who comes with arguably one of the best DCs in the country and is an offensive mind...and a guy from the northeast...why is this guy a disaster?

Why is 6-6 at Miss St with Moorhead bad but 6-6 with Schiano good?

I need to understand why a HC who has been at 2 programs in 5 seasons and has never had a losing record, who comes with arguably one of the best DCs in the country and is an offensive mind...and a guy from the northeast...why is this guy a disaster?

Um have you watched him at all this year? Clearly not. Awful defense and anemic offense. They just got clocked by one of the worst teams in the country and he'll be lucky to end up with 4 wins this year not 6!! Watch the remainder of his games and report back to me or go visit the Miss St. board and argue with them about it.

Reactions: Steve91562

Read the reviews of Moorhead on the MSU football forums and the comments of local sportwriters. He is Flood/Ash rolled into one. Consensus seems to be that he is in over his head, does not know how to be a head coach but was a good coordinator. But he is a smooth interviewer and did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Last edited:
It is very strange!!. First floating Monken, now floating Moorhead. Even more hutzpah to push Moorhead after a disasterous loss to Tennessee. That team was built to win now!!! There certainly appears to be a pathetic anti-Schiano faction and bias. Hope that most RU fans and primary boosters don’t buy it.

Reactions: beaced and SCILS02
Read the reviews of Moorhead on the MSU football forums and the comments of local sportwriters. He is Flood/Ash rolled into one. But he is a smooth interviewer and did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Yup. Has had two straight weeks of bizarre press conferences too. Guy is not cut out to be a head coach.

These stories get clicks. Sarg's gotta put food on the table, and there's only so many stories you can write about a punter. If he can get this story shared enough on social media, it will make up for all the company paid bowl trips he's missed out on the last five years.

Anybody wanna buy a NO MOORHEAD shirt to show your disapproval?

Reactions: Steve91562
It is very strange!!. First floating Monken, now floating Moorhead. Even more hutzpah to push Moorhead after a disasterous loss to Tennessee. That team was built to win now!!! There certainly appears to be a pathetic anti-Schiano faction and bias. Hope that most RU fans and primary boosters don’t buy it.
Because we should just forget about a Coach who had a disastrous loss. Good thing Greg Schiano never had any disastrous losses.

These stories get clicks. Sarg's gotta put food on the table, and there's only so many stories you can write about a punter. If he can get this story shared enough on social media, it will make up for all the company paid bowl trips he's missed out on the last five years.

Anybody wanna buy a NO MOORHEAD shirt to show your disapproval?
Yeah, honestly I think it is just Sarg stirring something up. Nobody will vet him on his sources so it doesn't matter if it's true or not. We know he reads our board so he probably saw all of our posts about not breaking any info in the past week too.

So how do these types even get to be considered or floated at all? Seems to me that the anti-Schiano fix in.

This time will be different than last time with Ash. We will pay bigger bucks for an Ash-like guy who is already a HC. Not necessarily a good head coach, but a head coach nonetheless. I have no reason to believe that Hobbs is capable of getting it right this time.

We need a guy with charisma, a guy who can sell a vision. Ahh. Sounds like someone we already know. The answer is clear. There's only one guy on most lists that makes sense right now.

Reactions: SCILS02
It would be kind of funny if Moorhead decided to Costanza his way out of the job and landed anywhere else the next day. I've watched his older videos. He's got enough fire in him to stir a team. He's just not connecting with the southern guys.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
So how do these types even get to be considered or floated at all? Seems to me that the anti-Schiano fix in.

This time will be different than last time with Ash. We will pay bigger bucks for an Ash-like guy who is already a HC. Not necessarily a good head coach, but a head coach nonetheless. I have no reason to believe that Hobbs is capable of getting it right this time.

We need a guy with charisma, a guy who can sell a vision. Ahh. Sounds like someone we already know. The answer is clear. There's only one guy on most lists that makes sense right now.
Yep, if they don't want Schiano then someone in the Ath. Dept. could contact Sarg with such info to quiet the Schiano chatter. Especially after their poll which was pro-Greg in a landslide.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yup. Has had two straight weeks of bizarre press conferences too. Guy is not cut out to be a head coach.
You do realize that other than the bowl game in 2017 and 2018, Mullen in his last year and Moorhead in his first year had identical records? Mullen did not coach the bowl game.

2018:
Beat Stephen Austin 63-6
Beat Kansas State 31-10
Beat Louisiana 56-10
Lost Kentucky (ranked 12) 28-7
Lost Florida (ranked 7) 13-6
Beat Auburn (8-5) 23-9
Lost LSU (ranked 6) 19-3
Beat A&M (ranked 16) 28-13
Beat Louisiana Tech 45-3
Lost Alabama (ranked 1) 24-0
Beat Arkansas 52-6
Beat Ole Miss 35-3

2017 (Mullen):
Beat Charleston Southern 49-0
Beat Louisiana Tech 57-21 (worse margin of victory)
Beat LSU (ranked 18) 37-7
Lost Georgia (ranked 2) 31-3
Lost Auburn (ranked 10) 49-10
Beat BYU 35-10
Beat Kentucky (7-6) 45-7
Beat A&M (7-5) 35-14
Beat UMASS 34-23 (troubling)
Lost Alabama (ranked 1) 31-24
Beat Arkansas 28-21 (worse margin of victory)
Lost Ole Miss (6-6) 31-28

In comparison, Moorhead elevated Miss. State over the previous season. Losing to a mediocre Ole Miss and getting beat badly by Auburn and Georgia. Barely beating Arkansas and an 11 point victory over UMASS are not impressive.

Do you realize in the prior year, 2016, Mullen was 6-7 at Miss. State? Lost to South Alabama (LOL), a mediocre Kentucky , and a lousy Arkansas.

You are fixated on two losses to SEC teams this year, one being Auburn? Seems you have some sort of agenda here.

Because we should just forget about a Coach who had a disastrous loss. Good thing Greg Schiano never had any disastrous losses.

You have to admit though...the timing is almost comical. All the headlines are about what a bad loss it was. Tennessee hadn't won an SEC game for almost a year, Mississippi St. is headed toward a terrible year, etc. The USA Today headline literally reads: Joe Moorhead: "I Did Suck".

Last edited:
You do realize that other than the bowl game in 2017 and 2018, Mullen in his last year and Moorhead in his first year had identical records? Mullen did not coach the bowl game.

2018:
Beat Stephen Austin 63-6
Beat Kansas State 31-10
Beat Louisiana 56-10
Lost Kentucky (ranked 12) 28-7
Lost Florida (ranked 7) 13-6
Beat Auburn (8-5) 23-9
Lost LSU (ranked 6) 19-3
Beat A&M (ranked 16) 28-13
Beat Louisiana Tech 45-3
Lost Alabama (ranked 1) 24-0
Beat Arkansas 52-6
Beat Ole Miss 35-3

2017 (Mullen):
Beat Charleston Southern 49-0
Beat Louisiana Tech 57-21 (worse margin of victory)
Beat LSU (ranked 18) 37-7
Lost Georgia (ranked 2) 31-3
Lost Auburn (ranked 10) 49-10
Beat BYU 35-10
Beat Kentucky (7-6) 45-7
Beat A&M (7-5) 35-14
Beat UMASS 34-23 (troubling)
Lost Alabama (ranked 1) 31-24
Beat Arkansas 28-21 (worse margin of victory)
Lost Ole Miss (6-6) 31-28

In comparison, Moorhead elevated Miss. State over the previous season. Losing to a mediocre Ole Miss and getting beat badly by Auburn and Georgia. Barely beating Arkansas and an 11 point victory over UMASS are not impressive.

Do you realize in the prior year, 2016, Mullen was 6-7 at Miss. State? Lost to South Alabama (LOL), a mediocre Kentucky , and a lousy Arkansas.

You are fixated on two losses to SEC teams this year, one being Auburn? Seems you have some sort of agenda here.
My agenda is I want the best head coach for the school I love. I was one of the few who didn't buy the Ash hype and I want to ensure it doesn't happen to us on here again.

Could care less about Mullen. I don't believe he's some great coach either. Please watch Miss St and you can see for yourself on Borehead. I've watched them closely all year and they have been an undisciplined mess. No offense. Soft defense. There's a reason the entire fanbase wants him gone and he'a had borderline emotional breakdowns two straight weeks in his pressers. You can ask the MSU board if you don't believe me. Nothing against the man. I've said nice little coordinator but clearly not a head coach. Again, I like coaches that do more with less talent, rather than less with more.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
You have to admit though...the timing is almost comical. All the headlines are about what a bad loss it was. Tennessee hadn't won an SEC game for almost a year, Mississippi St. is headed toward a terrible year, etc. The USA Today headline literally read: Joe Moorhead: "I Did Suck".
BOOM! No agenda from me folks, just evidence if you take the time to watch Miss St. play. He has been terrible. I only want the best for RU because I believe in our potential!

You have to admit though...the timing is almost comical. All the headlines are about what a bad loss it was. Tennessee hadn't won an SEC game for almost a year, etc. The USA Today headline literally read: Joe Moorhead: "I Did Suck".
Well, timing is a bitch. Just like my dark horse favorite, Jason Candle's Toledo got trounced by Bowling Green, when Toledo was 27 point favorites.

Tennessee previously lost to Georgia and Florida. That's expected. They went with a new QB against Miss. State, and he got things moving.

Tennessee beat #12 Kentucky 24-7 on November 10, 2018. Don't really get the narrative against Tennessee.

Well, timing is a bitch. Just like my dark horse favorite, Jason Candle's Toledo got trounced by Bowling Green, when Toledo was 27 point favorites.

Tennessee previously lost to Georgia and Florida. That's expected. They went with a new QB against Miss. State, and he got things moving.

Tennessee beat #12 Kentucky 24-7 on November 10, 2018. Don't really get the narrative against Tennessee.
Yeah but Tenn's new QB got hurt in the first half and JG had to play again and they made him look like Joe Montana!

My agenda is I want the best head coach for the school I love. I was one of the few who didn't buy the Ash hype and I want to ensure it doesn't happen to us on here again.

Could care less about Mullen. I don't believe he's some great coach either. Please watch Miss St and you can see for yourself on Borehead. I've watched them closely all year and they have been an undisciplined mess. No offense. Soft defense. There's a reason the entire fanbase wants him gone and he'a had borderline emotional breakdowns two straight weeks in his pressers. You can ask the MSU board if you don't believe me. Nothing against the man. I've said nice little coordinator but clearly not a head coach. Again, I like coaches that do more with less talent, rather than less with more.
He didn't have a borderline emotional breakdown. He just plainly talked about the loss and how difficult it is in the SEC. I don't really care about the MSU board and what they have to say. The probably want a Good Old Boy as a head coach. I'm not cheerleading for Moorhead, but can't understand your over the top campaign and vitriol.

Yeah but Tenn's new QB got hurt in the first half and JG had to play again and they made him look like Joe Montana!
Now it is clear you just have some of strange hard on for Moorhead. Tennessee primarily ran the ball in the second half, setting up a single TD pass by JG. Not the stuff of legends.
The real problem in the game for Miss State was lack of offense.

Reactions: BLewis1968
He didn't have a borderline emotional breakdown. He just plainly talked about the loss and how difficult it is in the SEC. I don't really care about the MSU board and what they have to say. The probably want a Good Old Boy as a head coach. I'm not cheerleading for Moorhead, but can't understand your over the top campaign and vitriol.
Well in his presser the week prior he was talking about how he was listening to fan chatter too much and has to do a better job of tuning it out. Call it what you want but the guy isn't coming off well. As for my rhetoric, everything I've said has been true -and over the top is when a unaccomplished fanbase like Miss St. wants their coach fired after only a year and a half. I think that supports my rhetoric.

way too early for any current coach to be a public front runner. This sounds like someone trying to get clicks on their story. I am sure RU is targeting people already, but you won't hear about it for another 5 weeks or so.

Here is Moorhead's presser. Don't have a single problem with what he said.

Here's Greg Schiano answering for tOSU's defensive woes. Don't see a huge difference.

It's a Hobbs-proxy. It's obvious that Hobbs doesn't want Schiano because he'll lose a huge portion of his power and influence (at least as it relates to the football program). So now he is floating trial balloons into the press in hopes of finding anyone that the fanbase might consider palatable. We're going to hear another three or four names as the "favorite" over the next month as he tries trial balloon after trial balloon. I'm also willing to bet that you'll hear another four or five names before you'll ever hear "the administration has settled on Schiano as the best choice" (if that ever happens).

Reactions: Eaton Beaver
Built to win now? In what universe? He lost a great QB from last year and had three first round picks go from his defense.

I think Moorhead is a good coach and if he ended up Rutgers choice I wouldn't have been unhappy.

However, hearing that rumor about the money Rutgers is willing to pay has changed my attitude. $4 million for a HC and $5 million for assistants isn't "go after a head coach who is struggling at his current job" money, let alone "pick a guy who already got fired from his last HC job" money.

That kind of money is "poach a head coach from a job he is successful at right now" money. We should be taking a run at Clawson and Norvell, making sure Harsin wouldn't come east after it worked out for Mendenhall, making sure Fickell wants to stay in the midwest, etc.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
I'm not going to complain about Moorhead's recruiting if he does it here. 2018 class #27, 2019 class #24 would've ranked 5th in B1G and 2020 class #20 and 4th in B1G. I know different areas but he is more of a Northeast guy anyways.

Last edited:
Yep, if they don't want Schiano then someone in the Ath. Dept. could contact Sarg with such info to quiet the Schiano chatter. Especially after their poll which was pro-Greg in a landslide.

How do we know Schiano is interested ? I've asked this question 100X already. If GS told them thanks, but no thanks all this Moorhead talk begins to make sense.

Reactions: patk89
Read the reviews of Moorhead on the MSU football forums and the comments of local sportwriters. He is Flood/Ash rolled into one. Consensus seems to be that he is in over his head, does not know how to be a head coach but was a good coordinator. But he is a smooth interviewer and did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
go read the comments about Schiano on any message board in the US not names Rutgers and report back. Do you really want to use message boards as your barometer?

Reactions: Knight Shift
go read the comments about Schiano on any message board in the US not names Rutgers and report back. Do you really want to use message boards as your barometer?
Ok - THEN WATCH HIS TEAM PLAY THIS YEAR! They just got clocked by one of the worst teams in college football. Clearly you don't WATCH him as a head coach.

It's simple. Moorehead doesn't have the same track record with respect to recruiting and extinguishing a dumpster fire. Fordham was within spitting distance of an 8-4 record when he arrived. Success at Penn. St. and MSU raises the possibility of a false positive. Limited experience as a HC. Butch Jones and Schiano would be far better, and safer, options.

Reactions: SCILS02

If you are going to say an entire fanbase doesn’t want a coach, then you have to at least acknowledge that the entire fanbase at Tennessee nearly burned the University down when Schiano was named head coach!
How much do you care about what another school’s fanbase thinks now?

In answer to the question of why Sarge wrote this article now, I think he answered that in his tweet.

He needed to file an open records request to get a copy of Morehead's contract. Morehead was one of the names mentioned when Ash was fired. Even if Sarge filed the open records request on the day Ash was fired, he may not have received the contract until this week. Then he wrote the column.

It's simple. Moorehead doesn't have the same track record with respect to recruiting and extinguishing a dumpster fire. Fordham was within spitting distance of an 8-4 record when he arrived. Success at Penn. St. and MSU raises the possibility of a false positive. Limited experience as a HC. Butch Jones and Schiano would be far better, and safer, options.
Are you joking, or just lying because you want Schiano so bad? When Moorhead took over at Fordham the team had gone 5-6, 5-6 and 1-10 the three previous years (it was the 1-10 that got the previous coach fired).

It is fine to not want Moorhead but don't misrepresent what he did at Fordham. He inherited a 1-10 team and went 6-5, 12-2, 11-3 and 9-3 before leaving for the PSU OC job.

Are you joking, or just lying because you want Schiano so bad? When Moorhead took over at Fordham the team had gone 5-6, 5-6 and 1-10 the three previous years (it was the 1-10 that got the previous coach fired).

It is fine to not want Moorhead but don't misrepresent what he did at Fordham. He inherited a 1-10 team and went 6-5, 12-2, 11-3 and 9-3 before leaving for the PSU OC job.

When Moorehead took over Fordham they were previously, 8-4, 5-6, 5-6, and 1-10, which is what alluded too. One good year, two mediocre years, and one terrible year. One terrible year doesn't make a "dumpster fire." The next coach at Rutgers will inherit a program with 4 or 5 terrible years in a row -- 2-10, 4-8, 1-11, 1-11 (likely). What exactly did I get wrong?

When Moorehead took over Fordham they were previously, 8-4, 5-6, 5-6, and 1-10, which is what alluded too. One good year, two mediocre years, and one terrible year. One terrible year doesn't make a "dumpster fire." The next coach at Rutgers will inherit a program with 4 or 5 terrible years in a row -- 2-10, 4-8, 1-11, 1-11 (likely). What exactly did I get wrong?
You are still wrong. After Fordham went 8-4, they went 5-6 for three straight years, not two, followed by the 1-10 season.

Fordham had gone 8-4 FIVE SEASONS before Moorhead took over and you called that "spitting distance', which is a foolish statement.

Reactions: jerzeyguy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT