ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

Kind of funny to think about, Rod "the bod" 😆 was a Flyer for most of his career. He now is a highly successful coach of another team.

Has to hurt 😆, but hey Flyer fan's, you now have Keith Jones to fix your problems.
To be fair to Rod, he would've been a Flyer for life if his wife didn't sleep with Lindros...

• Haha
Reactions: TM94goRU
Kind of funny to think about, Rod "the bod" 😆 was a Flyer for most of his career. He now is a highly successful coach of another team.

Has to hurt 😆, but hey Flyer fan's, you now have Keith Jones to fix your problems.
All these years after his retirement and I still think Brind'Amour resembles an ankylosaurus.

Quick post mortem for me. I ridiculously underestimated CAR. Looking back, I have no idea why, except I wanted 2 rounds of locals. So I was more hoping than thinking. Not a good look, lol. They were in first all year, have a great coach, and are a very well rounded team. Plus, those injuries didn’t stop them from taking first while the devils were coming on strong, so why I thought it would ONLY start to be a problem in the playoffs seems nuts.

FLA is just a hot team that pulled it all together at the right time. It happens. But, beating those 2 teams is a huge accomplishment for a team that just barely squeaked in.

Either team is worthy of a SCF. West is still going on. No real huge surprises there. Kinda rooting for an all expansion WCF.

On the locals, I’d say they all performed like they did in the reg season. WYSIWYG (past tense, lol).
NYI - the big shocker here was those goalie bonehead miscues. Can’t happen with a world class one. And it’s fatal to a team with very little O.
NYR - the Sybil of the NHL, haha. World beaters one day, stuck in the fetal position the next. A no tactics coach didn’t help, and he paid for it. But this was mostly on the players, and mostly on Panarin. He has entered into Nash territory now, but without the D. Yeesh - how many more years of this…
NJD - a young and talented team played like one. Too young to know that you‘re not supposed to come back from 0-2 at home. But now that they do know, should pay dividends later. Still think the mix is wrong. Didn’t like the Timo trade. Still think they should have gotten Bertuzzi - who had a sick playoff BTW. Do they right that wrong and make room for him? I would.

When Panarin signed with the Rangers, originally he and his friend Bobrovsky explored the idea of signing with the same team. Obviously, with the cap there was no one who could pull that off.

After they signed, the hockey consensus was that the Rangers made a great move by signing Panarin while the Panthers were nuts for giving Bob the contract they did.

Given the playoff performance of each, that attitude might need to be revisited.

Where was Austin Mathews for an entire series?
Nylander seemed to be the only one who seemed to make an impact every shift last night.

Matthew's disappearing act bodes well for the poster who said he's going to be a Ranger when his deal is up.

Reactions: zappaa
Nylander seemed to be the only one who seemed to make an impact every shift last night.

Matthew's disappearing act bodes well for the poster who said he's going to be a Ranger when his deal is up.
The Rangers already have 3 centers under contract for the next 5 years totaling about 20 mil a year. I don’t see it.

The Rangers already have 3 centers under contract for the next 5 years totaling about 20 mil a year. I don’t see it.
Oh I don't either - was simply joking that the "big star who disappears in playoffs" MO is exactly what NYR seem to look for.

One game tomorrow (Sunday), and they are playing it at 10:00 PM EDT? I could understand if it were a Mon-Fri game. Heck, if I were going, I wouldn’t want to be walking out of the arena at 10:00 on a Sunday night with the work week ahead,

One game tomorrow (Sunday), and they are playing it at 10:00 PM EDT? I could understand if it were a Mon-Fri game. Heck, if I were going, I wouldn’t want to be walking out of the arena at 10:00 on a Sunday night with the work week ahead,
It’s an ESPN game, so putting in on after the Sunday night MLB game outweighs any concern for the fans.

It’s an ESPN game, so putting in on after the Sunday night MLB game outweighs any concern for the fans.
I get the media angle but it's just a shame. You have the best player in the world, in an elimination game at home, with the 2-5th best player in the world beside him, and they drop the puck at a time that 3/4 the fans / market will be sleeping.

And the league wonders why they're not growing the game faster.

Reactions: Section124
I get the media angle but it's just a shame. You have the best player in the world, in an elimination game at home, with the 2-5th best player in the world beside him, and they drop the puck at a time that 3/4 the fans / market will be sleeping.

Cheeseball the league doesn't have much a say. They sold the rights to ESPN who determines the time.

If it was the leagues call they would have the game on ABC in prime time.

Smarten up

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan

I might even have mentioned this earlier in this long thread, but K’Andre Miller scored one of the sick goals he pulls off once or twice a year, and ESPN (who one would think would be all over promoting a player like Miller) had 4-5 basketball dunks you can see every day in their Top Ten Plays and no mention of Miller there or in their regular highlights.

Cheeseball the league doesn't have much a say. They sold the rights to ESPN who determines the time.

If it was the leagues call they would have the game on ABC in prime time.

Smarten up
So what you are saying is fans should just be glad the league wasn’t incompetent enough to have tonight be a game 7?

Canada is done, yet again. Edmonton out.

Edmonton incredibly talented, but far too reliant on special teams. 5v5 they are not a threat.

Canada is done, yet again. Edmonton out.

Edmonton incredibly talented, but far too reliant on special teams. 5v5 they are not a threat.
4 GA on 21 shots doesn't help either. Vegas goalie made some big stops in 2nd and 3rd.

Gotta imagine the NHL is not loving the way this is shaking out. Carolina/Florida in one conference final, and Vegas against either Seattle or Dallas in the other (possible matchup of two most recent expansion teams)? Not exactly cities that scream hockey. Those people up in Canada who invented the game must be rolling over in their graves.

Compare that to the NBA. Boston/Miami in one series, and Los Angeles/Denver in the other. NBA pulling for yet another Lakers/Celtics final?

Gotta imagine the NHL is not loving the way this is shaking out. Carolina/Florida in one conference final, and Vegas against either Seattle or Dallas in the other (possible matchup of two most recent expansion teams)? Not exactly cities that scream hockey. Those people up in Canada who invented the game must be rolling over in their graves.

Compare that to the NBA. Boston/Miami in one series, and Los Angeles/Denver in the other. NBA pulling for yet another Lakers/Celtics final?
Real hockey fans think otherwise though.

Why would any hockey fan care that if a Canadian or “big hockey market” team was still alive?

The best teams are advancing and that translates into the best hockey

Would like to have seen a Canadian team moving on.
I have a mixed perspective on this. I enjoy seeing Toronto and Montreal do poorly but I root for Edmonton or Calgary. Something about those late night games whenI was a kid.

Hockey fans — how boring are these conference finals. In theory, fun to see Florida do what they’re doing. But man, these series are one-sided.

Last years playoffs were awesome. This year has been such a letdown. Hopefully Carolina and Dallas can win a few. We need more Game 7’s.

After sophomoric troll job, GREAT SERIES CANES HAHA 😄!

Devils fan's, Washington is shopping Anthony Mantha. 6' 5" 235. After a subpar season, going into a contract year, I hope Fitz makes this happen.

After sophomoric troll job, GREAT SERIES CANES HAHA 😄!

Devils fan's, Washington is shopping Anthony Mantha. 6' 5" 235. After a subpar season, going into a contract year, I hope Fitz makes this happen.
His entire tenure in Wash has been subpar. 118 games, 24 goals. 11 playoff games zero goals.

Career high of 25 goals. Crossed 20 goals only twice in his career.

Misses a lot of games.

Makes $5mil now, we'd have to trade for him, and then resign him?

Hard pass.

Ross Colton is a name Devils fans are floating, and that sounds interesting. From NJ, grew up a Devils fan himself. Only makes $1.1 mil now, but he's an RFA, I'm a little wary of what he would command contract wise.

His entire tenure in Wash has been subpar. 118 games, 24 goals. 11 playoff games zero goals.

Career high of 25 goals. Crossed 20 goals only twice in his career.

Misses a lot of games.

Makes $5mil now, we'd have to trade for him, and then resign him?

Hard pass.

Ross Colton is a name Devils fans are floating, and that sounds interesting. From NJ, grew up a Devils fan himself. Only makes $1.1 mil now, but he's an RFA, I'm a little wary of what he would command contract wise.
I like the size and the fact he is coming into a contract year at only 28. He didn't fit well with Washington, and the Devs would only have to give up a middling prospect, of which we have many.

As previously stated, Colton would also be nice. This team has to get bigger for the playoffs. It is the main reason the NYI played the Canes tougher IMO.

You have to be able to create your own time and space.

I like the size and the fact he is coming into a contract year at only 28. He didn't fit well with Washington, and the Devs would only have to give up a middling prospect, of which we have many.

As previously stated, Colton would also be nice. This team has to get bigger for the playoffs. It is the main reason the NYI played the Canes tougher IMO.

You have to be able to create your own time and space.
Meh, I think the need to "get bigger for the playoffs" is a convenient fall back, but I don't think it's that accurate here.

We lacked finish, especially from our high end talent, including Nico and Meier, and those guys don't suffer from smallness. Both guys got plenty of shots off.

As an extension of that, our PP was lousy, scored 6 allowed 2. And one of those goals for was a 6 on 4 late game goal.

And our D just couldn't handle the pressure Carolina applied on the forecheck. Bahl, our biggest D-man, really struggled in this regard, while Luke came in and moved the puck much better(though he did have a couple mistakes).

Now a guy like Tatar likely played himself off the team with his playoffs, and maybe we do use that slot to add some size, and I do think a net front PP presence would be helpful(though I could see Mercer filling that role), but in general, I think the issue was lack of execution, more then a lack of size.

Some stronger goalie play, from Vitek specifically, would have been helpful as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT