ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

After sophomoric troll job, GREAT SERIES CANES HAHA 😄!

Devils fan's, Washington is shopping Anthony Mantha. 6' 5" 235. After a subpar season, going into a contract year, I hope Fitz makes this happen.
God knows what went wrong there. Devils would have beat Florida in 5-6. Hell, the rangers, even without a coach could have stepped in and beat Florida. The Panthers have a hell of a goaltender, sure, but like....if you keep shooting into his chest protecter every time, it doesn't matter that you have 38 shots a game. Other than that, the Panthers have 1 guy...you keep him away from the net. I get that it's easier said than done, but it seems like every goal he scored, the canes were looking around scratching their ass going...oh yeah...that guy....ooops. I think the Panthers are just good at getting into people's heads. Canes looked flustered much of the last 2 games.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Meh, I think the need to "get bigger for the playoffs" is a convenient fall back, but I don't think it's that accurate here.

We lacked finish, especially from our high end talent, including Nico and Meier, and those guys don't suffer from smallness. Both guys got plenty of shots off.

As an extension of that, our PP was lousy, scored 6 allowed 2. And one of those goals for was a 6 on 4 late game goal.

And our D just couldn't handle the pressure Carolina applied on the forecheck. Bahl, our biggest D-man, really struggled in this regard, while Luke came in and moved the puck much better(though he did have a couple mistakes).

Now a guy like Tatar likely played himself off the team with his playoffs, and maybe we do use that slot to add some size, and I do think a net front PP presence would be helpful(though I could see Mercer filling that role), but in general, I think the issue was lack of execution, more then a lack of size.

Some stronger goalie play, from Vitek specifically, would have been helpful as well.
LOL, we lacked finish because of our great size limitations. It is why punch and Judy Martinook looked like a star.

We already have enough smaller skill, we must get bigger and stronger to open up the ice, and create time for the likes of Nico and Jack.

Vanecek sucked in the playoffs with Washington as well, I hope Schmid and Daws work out. In the meantime, there are a few nice prospects for our current only pick in the top 100.

LOL, we lacked finish because of our great size limitations. It is why punch and Judy Martinook looked like a star.

We already have enough smaller skill, we must get bigger and stronger to open up the ice, and create time for the likes of Nico and Jack.

Vanecek sucked in the playoffs with Washington as well, I hope Schmid and Daws work out. In the meantime, there are a few nice prospects for our current only pick in the top 100.
Nico is not small. Meier is def not small. Martinook is not big.

Mantha has zero goals in 11 career playoff games.

God knows what went wrong there. Devils would have beat Florida in 5-6. Hell, the rangers, even without a coach could have stepped in and beat Florida. The Panthers have a hell of a goaltender, sure, but like....if you keep shooting into his chest protecter every time, it doesn't matter that you have 38 shots a game. Other than that, the Panthers have 1 guy...you keep him away from the net. I get that it's easier said than done, but it seems like every goal he scored, the canes were looking around scratching their ass going...oh yeah...that guy....ooops. I think the Panthers are just good at getting into people's heads. Canes looked flustered much of the last 2 games.
I'm not a believer in blanket karma, but it looked like it here. The Panthers are bigger/stronger across the board. Plus they peaked at the right time, even to make the playoffs.

The Canes are a better front running team. Once Florida drew first blood, they caved.

Reactions: RUinBoston
Nico is not small. Meier is def not small. Martinook is not big.

Mantha has zero goals in 11 career playoff games.
Meier is 240, we need more like that. Nico is not big. Martinook is over 200. The Devils smaller lineup also made Fast look like a 🌟.

As far as Mantha, agree to disagree. Washington is said to be shopping him, and except for the money ( for 1 year), he would not cost much. Given how it is common for career years to happen in contract year's, I see it as a low risk, potentially high reward prospect which could work out well. If not, cut or trade him for a low draft pick or minor prospect. Either way, no big deal if it doesn't work out.

Meier is 240, we need more like that. Nico is not big. Martinook is over 200. The Devils smaller lineup also made Fast look like a 🌟.

As far as Mantha, agree to disagree. Washington is said to be shopping him, and except for the money ( for 1 year), he would not cost much. Given how it is common for career years to happen in contract year's, I see it as a low risk, potentially high reward prospect which could work out well. If not, cut or trade him for a low draft pick or minor prospect. Either way, no big deal if it doesn't work out.
Nico and Fast are about the same size. Martinook is a solid guy, but not big. He also had a grand total of 3 goals this playoffs. 5 in 50 career playoff games. 2 in 35 games before this playoffs.

Carolina plays a highly structured 200 ft game which frustrated our attack. That's why they took it too us. Not because they were bigger and stronger then us, which they aren't.

Anyways, Manta isn't that good, is oft injured, and will be a UFA next offseason..

Zero chance Fitz trades for him.

Well to be fair every game was decided by one goal, with two of them in overtime and one with 4 seconds left, so even though they got swept, it really wasn't a dominant series.

Meanwhile in the World Championships, USA is undefeated and plays Germany in the semifinals on Saturday at 11:20 AM. Germany upset Switzerland in the quarterfinal to get there. The other semifinal features Canada taking on Latvia, who has been very impressive this tournament finishing 3rd in their group and knocking off Sweden today. Heavy underdog Hungary managed to win a game, beating France in overtime, but that wasn't enough for them to avoid being relegated along with Slovenia, who went winless. They will be replaced by Britain and Poland who have earned promotion. Barring further upsets, the gold medal game will probably feature USA and Canada Sunday at 1:20 PM.

Bummer for the US today, up 3-2 over Germany in the semifinal and gave up a tying goal with 1:23 remaining, then lost in overtime. In the other semifinal game, Latvia was up 2-1 against Canada going into the 3rd, but Canada came back to win 4-2 with an empty netter. USA plays Latvia for bronze at 8:20 AM and Canada plays Germany for gold at 1:20 PM. Of course a lot of NHL players not being there and Russia still banned levels the playing field a bit, but even so there seems to be more parity in international hockey these days. Slovakia winning bronze at the last Olympics, Germany winning silver in the previous Olympics, Switzerland is consistently a strong team now, and now Latvia playing for bronze.

USA jumped out to a 2-0 lead 7 minutes into the game and looked lethargic after that.
Just sat back in the 3rd Period and let the Germans take it to them.
Not sure why Petersen was not in Goal…. Our goaltender looked weak.
Yet another World Championship disappointment for Team U.S.A…. Getting ridiculous now.

Another major disappointment in the World’s ..USA loses to Latvia.
Need serious upgrade in Players and Coaches.
We are playing other Country’s best players while USA is using AHL, College, and few NHL players.

Another major disappointment in the World’s ..USA loses to Latvia.
Need serious upgrade in Players and Coaches.
We are playing other Country’s best players while USA is using AHL, College, and few NHL players.
Well they were the only team in the tournament to go undefeated. They just choked this weekend, losing two overtime games to end up going home without a medal. Definitely disappointing.

Well they were the only team in the tournament to go undefeated. They just choked this weekend, losing two overtime games to end up going home without a medal. Definitely disappointing.
Yes.. it had been a trend for the USA Team in recent World Championships

If Peter Laviolette runs a 21st century defensive and forechecking system instead of the 1990s Red Wings system GG ran.
Rangers high end talent should prosper and 3rd and 4th lines should be completely effective

Reactions: RU Cheese
If Peter Laviolette runs a 21st century defensive and forechecking system instead of the 1990s Red Wings system GG ran.
Rangers high end talent should prosper and 3rd and 4th lines should be completely effective
I’m not happy. Yes, he will establish more structure than Gallant, but he sucks as bad at in game adjustments as Gallant and will continue the over-reliance on veteran forwards and limited ice time for the younger players.

He likes defenseman who can handle the puck so Zac Jones should finally get a chance, though.

I have been a Ranger fan too long to ever stop, but for my sanity I think I need to adopt a Western Conference team as my second rooting interest. I have to do some research to find the team that isn’t run by “old hockey guys”.

Reactions: RU Cheese
I never thought the NYR would hire an ex-Islander retread.

Quel Dommage 😆.

Looking way too much like the Devils vs. Kings in 2012. No game 7, not even an interesting 3rd period.

I’m not happy. Yes, he will establish more structure than Gallant, but he sucks as bad at in game adjustments as Gallant and will continue the over-reliance on veteran forwards and limited ice time for the younger players.

He likes defenseman who can handle the puck so Zac Jones should finally get a chance, though.

I have been a Ranger fan too long to ever stop, but for my sanity I think I need to adopt a Western Conference team as my second rooting interest. I have to do some research to find the team that isn’t run by “old hockey guys”.
Agree. I adopted Chicago as my second team back in 2009. I was living outside of Chicago at the time and this was the start of their run, but it just makes NYR's performance more painful.

Agree. I adopted Chicago as my second team back in 2009. I was living outside of Chicago at the time and this was the start of their run, but it just makes NYR's performance more painful.
Chicago is out for me based upon how that organization handled the Aldrich scandal. Very Penn State-ish in attitude and result.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Back in the 80's/early 90's, I rooted for the Oilers teams (since I could watch them on SportChannel). Made it pretty easy when a bunch of former Oilers ended up on the Rangers. Messier was always my favorite player.

Since their move to Denver in the late 90's, I have rooted for the Av's. I used to travel there monthly on business and almost moved there in '98. I always hated the Red Wings (since I had a close friend that was a big Detroit fan) and loved those Av's-Red Wings series at the time. A friend of my daughter plays on the Av's now so it's a cool connection (especially with them winning the cup last year).

My hatred for the Red Wings did diminish in the late 2000's when I used to go to Troy MI on business monthly. Especially after the Konstantinov accident. We used to hang in Birmingham where the accident happened. Got to meet Joe Micheletti and his daughter at the Stanley Cup event in Detroit one year. I spent a good 20 minutes or so with him during the cocktail hour and then he came over for another 10-15 minutes when he was leaving. He didn't have too, but he's such a good guy.

Chicago is out for me based upon how that organization handled the Aldrich scandal. Very Penn State-ish in attitude and result.
Yeah, in hindsight of course. My point was simply that I tried that route when I lived there and the team was good and it just made NYRs failures even worse.

If I ever move I see myself doing that as well. And not just for hockey.

As it is now I go to BlueClaws games even though I don’t care for the parent club, the Phillies.

If there is ever another ECHL team around here I’ll support them too. Just like I did for the Titans and the Florida Everblades, who were near my Parent’s place in Naples.

If I ever move I see myself doing that as well. And not just for hockey.

As it is now I go to BlueClaws games even though I don’t care for the parent club, the Phillies.

If there is ever another ECHL team around here I’ll support them too. Just like I did for the Titans and the Florida Everblades, who were near my Parent’s place in Naples.
I moved up here to Maine and have become a fan of their football and hockey programs. It’s nice to go to a football game and have things be completely low key (no traffic, well behaved crowds, people just there to enjoy the game) like it used to be at RU in the 80’s and before.

I moved up here to Maine and have become a fan of their football and hockey programs. It’s nice to go to a football game and have things be completely low key (no traffic, well behaved crowds, people just there to enjoy the game) like it used to be at RU in the 80’s and before.
The Titans games were like that too.

If I end up in small college town I might latch on to the locals as well.

The Rangers have to be f**king with their fans at this point.

Their move to hire Laviolette (who wasn’t good enough for the Capitals and is being replaced by better Rangers candidate Spencer Carbery) is rumored to be held up by them maybe going after Hines from Nashville who just was replaced by another much better candidate in Burnette.

Hines is a much worse option than even Laviolette, but was a teammate of Drury’s and there is allegedly a lot of interest.

Chris Knoblock has run GG’s awful system in the minors.
I don’t know anything about his personal philosophies.
I have been out on Knoblach the whole time, because I figured they haven’t fired their worst assistant Gord Murphy yet because their intention was he would stay on as Knoblach’s defensive coach if he was promoted.

Reactions: zappaa
The Rangers have to be f**king with their fans at this point.

Their move to hire Laviolette (who wasn’t good enough for the Capitals and is being replaced by better Rangers candidate Spencer Carbery) is rumored to be held up by them maybe going after Hines from Nashville who just was replaced by another much better candidate in Burnette.

Hines is a much worse option than even Laviolette, but was a teammate of Drury’s and there is allegedly a lot of interest.
Hynes

YES baldy himself. With Quinn, this completes the Boston University contingent, if it happens. Personally 😆.
The only consolation for a Ranger fan on the coaching front is the Devils strong year and win over the Rangers convincing them to keep Ruff.

Reactions: TM94goRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT