ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

Brunette is leaving to be Nashville's head coach. My assumption was the Devils hired him as an assistant so that he'd be here to take the reins when Ruff gets fired. Of course the season went much better than planned, so that never came to fruition.

Reactions: RU-05
The only consolation for a Ranger fan on the coaching front is the Devils strong year and win over the Rangers convincing them to keep Ruff.
Yes, Fitzgerald is the only fanboy GM in the NHL.

How did Brylin do as the top assistant in Utica two seasons ago?
He was great, in his 8 year's there. Lindy Ruff recently gave Brylin credit with allowing him to change personnel on the fly. It was Sergei in the booth relaying who was playing well. It was Brylin telling Ruff move this guy to the 1st Line or move this defenseman down to the 3rd pair, for example.

Sarge was in charge of Utica's power play, and they were over 21% in PP success that last year. His Stanley Cups are also a huge plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: goru1869
Sarge retired, rather than wear another sweater.

That's fine as a player, but if you want to coach you will take a good offer. If it comes down to the Devils vs. another team, I can see loyalty playing a part..

If it's head coach in the NHL (non-Devils) or being an assistant or AHL head coach, I think he takes the top job.

That's fine as a player, but if you want to coach you will take a good offer. If it comes down to the Devils vs. another team, I can see loyalty playing a part..

If it's head coach in the NHL (non-Devils) or being an assistant or AHL head coach, I think he takes the top job.
He’s never been a head coach

Since brunette was poached off the Devils staff, it’s possible Fitzgerald will have Ruff mentor Sarge this year

I don’t think they will fire Kevin Dinesen in Utica and give Sarge the keys

Reactions: TM94goRU
I appreciate what Brylin means to the Devils organization, but why would he get a head coaching job in the NHL yet? Why do we even know if he is any good?

Yes, I do also. I was just trying to add perspective to Proud's post.

I think the reason no other team has recruited him, is because he had always been an assistant coach in the minors. Oh and being Russian didn't help. 😆

He’s never been a head coach

Since brunette was poached off the Devils staff, it’s possible Fitzgerald will have Ruff mentor Sarge this year

I don’t think they will fire Kevin Dinesen in Utica and give Sarge the keys
Absolutely no. Kevin Dineen would also be a good candidate. Man those old Flyers have some coaching chops.

Why in the bloody hell are the Rangers kicking the tires on Hynes? They shouldn't even be giving him an accidental glance.

Reactions: RU Cheese
Answer GM Drury, college connection. He seems like he might turn into FITZ, I.e. another fanboy.

Answer GM Drury, college connection. He seems like he might turn into FITZ, I.e. another fanboy.
Drury is evidence of the continued influence of Sather in the organization.

Sather likes Drury and they groomed him for the top job, ignored the fact he wasn’t very good at what he did (Hartford was a shit show when Drury was running the minor league operation for the Rangers), and jumped at the opportunity given by events surrounding the Wilson incident to give Drury the GM position.

Drury is evidence of the continued influence of Sather in the organization.

Sather likes Drury and they groomed him for the top job, ignored the fact he wasn’t very good at what he did (Hartford was a shit show when Drury was running the minor league operation for the Rangers), and jumped at the opportunity given by events surrounding the Wilson incident to give Drury the GM position.

Sather coming into the Rangers organization was one of the worst, long term decision in franchise history. Just my opinion.

He truly believes he is the greatest hockey mind. In reality, he was very fortunate to have a young, and deep core coming into Edmonton at the right time.

Sather coming into the Rangers organization was one of the worst, long term decision in franchise history. Just my opinion.

He truly believes he is the greatest hockey mind. In reality, he was very fortunate to have a young, and deep core coming into Edmonton at the right time.
It’s an opinion that virtually anyone will agree with. Sather stunk at everything but lucked out with Gretzky and Messier.

Getting back to Stillman, he took 2/ thirds of that teams 1st Line out. I hope he makes the big club soon.

Getting back to Stillman, he took 2/ thirds of that teams 1st Line out. I hope he makes the big club soon.
Hopefully he shows signs of offensive capabilities next year in Utica. The physicality is good but he does need to bring some skills as well.

Reactions: TM94goRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT