ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

Howden, , Not good enuff for the Rangers
He wasn’t. He was not good on the Rangers and, unlike a lot of other young players, was given plenty of opportunities in a bunch of different roles because they didn’t want to admit they bitched the Ryan McDonough trade.

He’s looked pretty good this playoffs.
Playing his role well.

At the time of McDonough trade, Howden was a similarly ranked prospect in the TB system as Cirelli, and the Rangers chose poorly.

He had shown talent at several levels, but I don’t think Rangers did him any favors by refusing to send him to the AHL for development.

John Hynes lol
Interesting the book on Hynes is he’s incredibly prepared and able to make in game adjustments…don’t know why it hasn’t materialized in wins.

If I’m Drury I’m showing Hynes tape of our being pinned in our own end for ridiculous amounts of time.
And our weak ass retreating forecheck that allowed the most time and space in the league….ask him in detail how he’s going to address it.
Perhaps Drury will like his answers.

Interesting the book on Hynes is he’s incredibly prepared and able to make in game adjustments…don’t know why it hasn’t materialized in wins.

If I’m Drury I’m showing Hynes tape of our being pinned in our own end for ridiculous amounts of time.
And our weak ass retreating forecheck that allowed the most time and space in the league….ask him in detail how he’s going to address it.
Hynes career playoff record is 4-15, never winning a series. I just don’t get it. This hire dictates Drury’s future with the NYR.

Hynes career playoff record is 4-15, never winning a series. I just don’t get it. This hire dictates Drury’s future with the NYR.
Well-
I don’t think Casey Stengel had a winning record until he guided the Yankees to 5 championships in a row…😊

Everything they say about Hynes’ positives just make him sound like an excellent candidate for an assistant coaching job.

How is a guy with Hynes’ resume going to get more out of the many Ranger veterans with NMCs and a lot of term left on their contracts? They aren’t going to listen to him as head coach.

Rangers hire Laviolette.

Bernie Sanders Whatever GIF

Weak. I am convinced that they spent time generating the Hynes rumors just to show Rangers fans that, as bad as the Laviolette hire is, things could be worse.
Feels very typical Rangers. Has-been retread who seems to wear out his welcome. Our only hope is that his disciplinarian style resonates in the locker room. But knowing the guys we have, I‘d say that’s unlikely.

But hey, it’s ’win now’ time.

Feels very typical Rangers. Has-been retread who seems to wear out his welcome. Our only hope is that his disciplinarian style resonates in the locker room. But knowing the guys we have, I‘d say that’s unlikely.

But hey, it’s ’win now’ time.
No matter how you slice it 02
The guy won the cup and played in 3 finals

Unless you were a Vegas fan, this had to be the most boring playoffs ever. I hate to see a new team win but congrats to them. They kicked everyone's *ss.

Not sold on Lav. I wasn't too happy with Keenan back in the day and that worked out OK.

Weak. I am convinced that they spent time generating the Hynes rumors just to show Rangers fans that, as bad as the Laviolette hire is, things could be worse.
Im a fan of the lavi hire. Guy can coach. Has a pretty solid system and also holds players to it. Young guys with talent have had some pretty good success under him too.

Realistically, if the rangers cant win itll be on the players the roster is made of rather than lavi

In case anyone needed to be reminded how much and for how long Glenn Sather has been killing the Rangers, the Rangers had Conn Smythe winner Marchessault on a one year minor league deal after he went undrafted. Sather didn’t offer him another contract while the Rangers had exclusive rights, even though Marchessault was an AHL all star and third highest scoring AHL rookie, and he jumped to Columbus when he became a free agent.

Reactions: RU Cheese
In case anyone needed to be reminded how much and for how long Glenn Sather has been killing the Rangers, the Rangers had Conn Smythe winner Marchessault on a one year minor league deal after he went undrafted. Sather didn’t offer him another contract while the Rangers had exclusive rights, even though Marchessault was an AHL all star and third highest scoring AHL rookie, and he jumped to Columbus when he became a free agent.

To be fair, 3 other teams gave up on him afterwards
CBJ, TB and Florida

There were a lot of Ranger playoff runs where Henrik played great but they didn’t win the Cup, but this year might be the pinnacle for the Rangers wasting a great goalie performance.

Shesterkin finished in second place out of all goalies in the playoffs in Total Goals Saved Above Expected even though he only played one round.

He had 8.8 GSAE in only 7 games, meaning he basically spotted the Rangers over a goal a game and they still couldn’t get it done.

There were a lot of Ranger playoff runs where Henrik played great but they didn’t win the Cup, but this year might be the pinnacle for the Rangers wasting a great goalie performance.

Shesterkin finished in second place out of all goalies in the playoffs in Total Goals Saved Above Expected even though he only played one round.

He had 8.8 GSAE in only 7 games, meaning he basically spotted the Rangers over a goal a game and they still couldn’t get it done.
That's unbeleiveable.

It's also a sign of how bad the team was in that series.

Meanwhile VTek was pretty lousy.

That series going 7 was extremely misleading.
Schmid was 2.4 GSAE (eight place) for the 2 rounds but the Devils were dragged down by Vanacek being second worst out of all goalies (minus 7.7 GSAE).

No wonder the Rangers won the first two games. The games basically started with the score of Rangers 1 Devils -1 because of goaltending.

Bratt signs 8 year $63 mil.

Great deal from the Dev's perspective.
Strikes me as a fair deal. He is a flawed player in some ways, but can be productive. A contract under $8mm per year seems about right for someone like him.

Strikes me as a fair deal. He is a flawed player in some ways, but can be productive. A contract under $8mm per year seems about right for someone like him.
Flawed? I dunno, I mean he's not a star, but he's really darn good.

This is fair deal relative to contracts of similar players in the last 1-2 years, but will look like a great deal when the cap takes off in 2-3 years.

He turns 25 in a couple months and this buys up a bunch of UFA years.

Was concerns he was looking for a 2-3 year deal which took him into free agency in a higher cap era.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Flawed? I dunno, I mean he's not a star, but he's really darn good.

This is fair deal relative to contracts of similar players in the last 1-2 years, but will look like a great deal when the cap takes off in 2-3 years.

He turns 25 in a couple months and this buys up a bunch of UFA years.

Was concerns he was looking for a 2-3 year deal which took him into free agency in a higher cap era.
Flawed in that he is a perimeter player and maybe not selfish enough shooting the puck. He's a very talented player, no doubt, and a good piece to keep in the fold...the Devils are better for having signed him to this contract.

Wow I am absolutely flabbergasted! Renowned hockey insider kyk1827 reported that it was well known that Bratt wants out and will not re-sign. What a shocking turn of events!

Last edited:
Reactions: CHOPU
Bratt was top 50 in points. had 2 really solid seasons in a row and now he’s locked up in his prime years. Glad the deal got done and he’s under 8 million per

Reactions: RU-05
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT