ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

How bout Myer?
Team arbitration.

I'm surprised Bratt's got done first. His game is offense. My take is his playoff performance sucked because he was too small and weak to win puck battles.

Even with Timo the Devils need more size and grit. Fitzgerald had better acknowledge this. In Devils History arbitration has soured many relationships.

On the goalie front, I hope he doesn't pay the price for Hellebucyk.

Timo has told his agent to start negotiating and 8 year deal with NJ .

"He reiterated that, yesterday. This is where (Timo Meier) wants to be."

- #NJDevils Tom Fitzgerald

Reactions: TM94goRU
Wow I am absolutely flabbergasted! Renowned hockey insider kyk1827 reported that is was well known that Bratt wants out and will not re-sign. What a shocking turn of events!
Fitzgerald told Bratt’s agent that it was a take it or leave it deal. Basically if he didn’t say yes or with small alterations, they would trade him. Bratt clearly wanted to stay, he would have gotten a lot more on the open market next year.

Fitzgerald told Bratt’s agent that it was a take it or leave it deal. Basically if he didn’t say yes or with small alterations, they would trade him. Bratt clearly wanted to stay, he would have gotten a lot more on the open market next year.
Yeah I was just being sarcastic because earlier in this thread, kyk said Bratt isn't re-signing, and when I asked where he heard that, he just said, "Well known Bratt wants out, not gonna get into it." 🤡

If Fitz is able to sign Timo to a 8-year contract with an AAV under $9M, it will solidly him as one of the best GMs in the league. Maybe even the best, though I believe the Devils to win a cup for the latter to happen.

I would love to get him but I can't see it happening, first he's not going to come cheap assets wise, this would be nothing like the package that delivered us Timo, it probably start with Mercer or Nemec to get it done.

The biggest hurdle would be his contract, it would be on the level of what Timo is looking for, I don't know how we would fit him under the cap.

But boy, he would be perfect for what we need.

Too expensive and too old hockey wise. Most aren't Marty, thus we shouldn't mortgage our future for a few good years.

Travis Green not Sergei Brylin unfortunately. Haven't checked but I guess Fitz befriended him with the Islanders.

LMAO Mike Peca joins the Rangers coaching staff. If they win, they have Islanders to thank, Hahahahaha.

Reactions: RU-05
At some point you have to decide the rebuild is over and you are in win now mode, and when you have a bright enough future, you can afford to lose a couple parts to become a contender. Hellebuyck just turned 30 a few weeks ago. Sure, he's no prospect, but pretty much all of the best goalies in the league are only 2-3 years younger.

LMAO Mike Peca joins the Rangers coaching staff. If they win, they have Islanders to thank, Hahahahaha.
Peca only played about a quarter of his NHL games for the Islanders, so that is a pretty weak shot.

I would love to get him but I can't see it happening, first he's not going to come cheap assets wise, this would be nothing like the package that delivered us Timo, it probably start with Mercer or Nemec to get it done.

The biggest hurdle would be his contract, it would be on the level of what Timo is looking for, I don't know how we would fit him under the cap.

But boy, he would be perfect for what we need.
He is rumored to be looking for Vassy money (9.5), which would be crazy given he will be 30 when the contract starts.

Reactions: RU-05 and TM94goRU
Laviolette said the right things yesterday.
Rangers have top end talent up front and that includes Chytil.
Collectively they are clueless how to puck retrieve and support each other.
We know Kreider is big and has great net presence, but it will be a tall order for the new coaching staff to change a 32 year old with good numbers.
He is the poster boy for soft play, no pursuit outside of the stretch play and no jam.
He’s the softest 230 pound forechecker with great speed in the league.
I do not think he won’t commit to trying it, as Laviolette said it has to become habit and part of your DNA.
He has never been asked or challenged by a coach to make that commitment imo!

Peca only played about a quarter of his NHL games for the Islanders, so that is a pretty weak s

Didn't mean it as a shot. It just surprised me, and I don't think many Rangers fan's are happy. I mean, I would not be.

Just like I hate that Brylin was not promoted, and thought of Fitz's playing career. Same rival team and all. So I carried it over, damn Islanders. 😆

Didn't mean it as a shot. It just surprised me, and I don't think many Rangers fan's are happy. I mean, I would not be.

Just like I hate that Brylin was not promoted, and thought of Fitz's playing career. Same rival team and all. So I carried it over, damn Islanders. 😆
No one’s a bigger Ranger fan than me.
Ranger fans are not happy with what?
Whatever Rangers fans aren’t happy about has absolutely Zero to do with the Islanders

No one’s a bigger Ranger fan than me.
Ranger fans are not happy with what?
Whatever Rangers fans aren’t happy about has absolutely Zero to do with the Islanders
Not happy with the 2 former Islanders now coaching the team. OK, to each his own.

When I think Peca the Sabres are the first thing that pops in my head, not the Islanders.

Laviolette said the right things yesterday.
Rangers have top end talent up front and that includes Chytil.
Collectively they are clueless how to puck retrieve and support each other.
We know Kreider is big and has great net presence, but it will be a tall order for the new coaching staff to change a 32 year old with good numbers.
He is the poster boy for soft play, no pursuit outside of the stretch play and no jam.
He’s the softest 230 pound forechecker with great speed in the league.
I do not think he won’t commit to trying it, as Laviolette said it has to become habit and part of your DNA.
He has never been asked or challenged by a coach to make that commitment imo!
Kreider is a very good penalty killer and an elite power play forward. At his age they shouldn’t be overplaying him anyway, so he should be on the 3rd line at even strength to manage his total TOI.

At some point you have to decide the rebuild is over and you are in win now mode, and when you have a bright enough future, you can afford to lose a couple parts to become a contender. Hellebuyck just turned 30 a few weeks ago. Sure, he's no prospect, but pretty much all of the best goalies in the league are only 2-3 years younger.
Nico and Bratt are 24, J Hughes at 22, Luke Hughes and Nemec at 19, and see a pretty clear 8-10 year window. I really don't see this as a "win now" team. I mean, yes I think we are currently in contention mode, and this may be a semantics argument, but "win now" suggests the team is approaching the end of a contending window. We are not.

If Helle is looking for a max term deal, I want no part of that. Just no way do I open up the possibility of a broken down goal soaking up a large % of our cap space. Not with that list of young players(and that's only part of it) needing to be paid.

Reactions: goru1869
Are you willing to give him a 7-year contract with an AAV at least $9M?

If it was just 3-4 year contract, sure.

But also consider this, the last two cup winners goalies are far from elite, if a team can win a cup with Aiden Hill or Darcy Kuemper, why not Akira Schmid?

Nico and Bratt are 24, J Hughes at 22, Luke Hughes and Nemec at 19, and see a pretty clear 8-10 year window. I really don't see this as a "win now" team. I mean, yes I think we are currently in contention mode, and this may be a semantics argument, but "win now" suggests the team is approaching the end of a contending window. We are not.

If Helle is looking for a max term deal, I want no part of that. Just no way do I open up the possibility of a broken down goal soaking up a large % of our cap space. Not with that list of young players(and that's only part of it) needing to be paid.
Yeah semantics--we agree on where the team is at, just have different definitions of what "win now mode" is. Perhaps contending mode is a better term, as you put it.

Are you willing to give him a 7-year contract with an AAV at least $9M?

If it was just 3-4 year contract, sure.

But also consider this, the last two cup winners goalies are far from elite, if a team can win a cup with Aiden Hill or Darcy Kuemper, why not Akira Schmid?
I was really just replying to the notion that Hellebuyck is "too old." Too old for a 7-year deal perhaps, but not too old as in he is a washed-up veteran on the decline.

Reactions: Ronnie_B and RU-05
Yeah semantics--we agree on where the team is at, just have different definitions of what "win now mode" is. Perhaps contending mode is a better term, as you put it.

I was really just replying to the notion that Hellebuyck is "too old." Too old for a 7-year deal perhaps, but not too old as in he is a washed-up veteran on the decline.
I think he is definitely too old for a 7 year deal. But will any team actually consider handing him that contract? I could see an older team near the end of their window possibly doing so, then just dealing with the back end of his contract as they lose games, get high picks and rebuild. Again though, that is not where we are at. I have a hard time believing Fitz is actually considering signing him to a long term contract.

Now would he consider signing a shorter deal, 4-5 years perhaps? I think that is even risky, but that would definitely make more sense from our perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT