ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

This year’s moves only make sense if viewed in terms of basically treading water for this year, then making bigger moves to reorganize the team next summer when they will actually have cap space and some big contracts move from NMCs to modified NTCs.

I certainly can see that. I guess I don’t agree with rangers being happy to “tread water” with these signings.

Most of it had to do with the goaltending play. Also think they got too high after beating a rival and kind of looked past carolina
But carolina was old and slow. So whyd the devs get the shit kicked out of them? I thought thats what did the rangers in?

To quote Napoleon, " when you see your enemy making a mistake, don't interrupt."

The Red Wings waived Zadina, at 23 I wonder if anyone will pick him up. If I was the Flyers I would. I think of Zacha and Noesen, maybe a change of scenery will unlock his potential.

I told you why..goaltending was the difference in the series.
Igor wasnt better than raanta/andersen? The devs goalies stopped stopping shots? or was it that carolina had a better system to get guys in front, pressure the devs in their own end and generated chances off that?

Igor wasnt better than raanta/andersen? The devs goalies stopped stopping shots? or was it that carolina had a better system to get guys in front, pressure the devs in their own end and generated chances off that?

I mean it wasn’t one thing. It’s never just ONE thing.

I think the main reason is the devils goaltending went sour. Carolina certainly had a great system…Brindamour may be the best coach in the league. That certainly contributed too, yea

I mean it wasn’t one thing. It’s never just ONE thing.

I think the main reason is the devils goaltending went sour. Carolina certainly had a great system…Brindamour may be the best coach in the league. That certainly contributed too, yea
In other words the system. Gotcha. They were old and slow but played a good structured system and it kinda did something

It was the #1 reason. Raanta is a career backup and freddy was broken, it wasnt this enormous edge at goalie that won them the series

You didn’t ask why they lost: You asked why they got their asses kicked. Let’s be consistent, eh!

This line up goes nowhere in the playoffs.
You’re going to play Mika, arguably one of the top 25 forwards in the NHL with two wingers incapable of carrying the puck across the blue line, and less capable of assists?
On you top line!!!!!
lol

Last edited:
You’re going to play Mika, arguably one of the top 25 forwards in the NHL with two wingers incapable of carrying the puck across the blue line, and less capable of assists?
On you top line!!!!!
lol
If Cuylle doesn’t make the team, even as 13th forward, over the guys they picked off the scrap heap, we know we are dealing with Gallant 2.0.

On you top line!!!!!
lol
I don’t know that I have much confidence in any Ranger lineup of current players in the playoffs, but my lineup would be:

Panarin-Mika-Kakko
Lafreniere-Chytil-Wheeler
Kreider-Trochek-Cuylle
Vesey-Bonino-Pitlick

Goodrow traded.

They have to figure out exactly what they have on this roster, so they can rework the lineup when they have more flexibility beginning next season.

If Cuylle doesn’t make the team, even as 13th forward, over the guys they picked off the scrap heap, we know we are dealing with Gallant 2.0.
You dont put cuylle on the roster just to sit in the press box. Hes either making it as a regular or hartford.

The way I see it, our lineup right now is

12-7-2

Laff-Mika-Kakko
Panarin-Chytil-Wheeler
Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey
Goodrow-Bonino-Pitlick

Lindgren-Fox
Kandre-Trouba
Gustafsson-Schneider
Jones

Igor
Quick

Pitlick gets hurt alot and when he inevitably goes down then its cuylle time and cuylle doesnt look back imo and becomes a regular. Hes on an ELC so can move him up and down from hartford with no worries of waivers

I think Othmann does a full season in Hartford.

Rangers future is very promising. Berard, Cuylle, Sykora, Othmann will be NHL regulars in the next 1-2 years. I lean towards mcconnell-barker being near the cusp as well. And of course perrault but hes like 3 years away imo

“very promising”
Be Patient Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reactions: goru1869
“very promising”
Be Patient Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
In 3 years rangers will have the following on ice with their age

Forwards

Chytil-27
Kakko-25
Laffreniere-24
Othmann-23
Perrault-21
Sykora- 22
Berard- 23
Cuylle- 23
Trocheck- 33
Mika- 33
Mcconnell barker MAYBE as 3/4C - 22

Defense-
Fox- 28
Lindgren- 28
Kandre- 26
Schneider- 24

And of course there will be UFA signings which is always easy for a destination team like NYR.

The only people who say the rangers are old are people who dont follow the rangers.

And as gretz tells everyone, “if you get a chance to play for the rangers do it”. Everyone and their mother knows the rangers are taking a run at mcdavid before the above season too. And if they cant get mcdavid that class is STACKED and rangers will have a ton of cap space. So you can pencil at least 1, maybe 2 of the below into the 2026-2027 lineup.

Mcdavid
Eichel
Kaprisov

Last edited by a moderator:

Forwards

Chytil-27
Kakko-25
Laffreniere-24
Othmann-23
Perrault-21
Sykora- 22
Berard- 23
Cuylle- 23
Trocheck- 33
Mika- 33

Defense-
Fox- 28
Lindgren- 28
Kandre- 26
Schneider- 24

And of course there will be UFA signings which is always easy for a destination team like NYR.

The only people who say the rangers are old are people who dont follow the rangers
Meh

Reactions: goru1869
Amended it. You can pencil at least 1, maybe 2 of eichel, mcdavid or kaprisov into that lineup in 3 years. Lets say its kaprisov and eichel

Laff-eichel-kakko
Kaprisov-Mika-Perrault
Othmann-Chytil-Berard
Cuylle-Trocheck-Sykora

Lindgren-Fox
Kandre-Schneider
Jones/Robertson-UFA 6D

Igor

Thats an absurd lineup and would be one of the youngest in hockey. Only 2 total guys over 30

Fans of any team can recite.a list of all their recent draft picks lol, if we wanna talk about a real prospect pool with high end talent and a bright future then it's the Sabres

Fans of any team can recite.a list of all their recent draft picks lol, if we wanna talk about a real prospect pool with high end talent and a bright future then it's the Sabres
Im not saying the rangers are loaded with top talent in their prospects pool. Their two best are middle 6 guys in perrault and othmann.

Forwards

Chytil-27
Kakko-25
Laffreniere-24
Othmann-23
Perrault-21
Sykora- 22
Berard- 23
Cuylle- 23
Trocheck- 33
Mika- 33

Defense-
Fox- 28
Lindgren- 28
Kandre- 26
Schneider- 24

The only people who say the rangers are old are people who dont follow the rangers.

And as gretz tells everyone, “if you get a chance to play for the rangers do it”. Everyone and their mother knows the rangers are taking a run at mcdavid before the above season too. And if they cant get mcdavid that class is STACKED and rangers will have a ton of cap space. So you can pencil at least 1, maybe 2 of the below into the 2026-2027 lineup.

Mcdavid
Eichel
Kaprisov

This year the Rangers are old. They're gonna put a lineup on the ice with 75% of forwards 30 or older. That's old, no matter how much you want to talk it out of existence.

Of course they'll get younger when they call up prospects, every team will..lol.

But most of the prospects in the Rangers system aren't really anything special, (can certainly change)..but their minor league system ranking of prospects is 22nd aoccrding to the Athletic.

Plenty of teams will be younger this season with better prospect pools. (ie the Devils, who have the 2nd best prospect pool per the Athletic, and a top 5 young team in the nhl this season)...that my friend is a bright future.

Reactions: martingum1986
This year the Rangers are old. They're gonna put a lineup on the ice with 75% of forwards 30 or older. That's old, no matter how much you want to talk it out of existence.

Of course they'll get younger when they call up prospects, every team will..lol.

But most of the prospects in the Rangers system aren't really anything special, (can certainly change)..but their minor league system ranking of prospects is 22nd aoccrding to the Athletic.

Plenty of teams will be younger this season with better prospect pools. (ie the Devils, who have the 2nd best prospect pool per the Athletic, and a top 5 young team in the nhl this season)...that my friend is a bright future.
sure on paper for one season they'll be an older group. But when people say old here they're saying the rangers are aging and that couldn't be further from the truth. They'll once again be one of the youngest teams in hockey in 3 years. And frankly if they wanted to this year, they couldve opted to be one of the youngest teams in hockey but instead opted to have some vets play on 1 year deals to properly develop the kids in hartford and not rush them.

I agree the devs have a bright future. but you do realize more than 1 franchise can have a bright future right?

sure on paper for one season they'll be an older group. But when people say old here they're saying the rangers are aging and that couldn't be further from the truth. They'll once again be one of the youngest teams in hockey in 3 years. And frankly if they wanted to this year, they couldve opted to be one of the youngest teams in hockey but instead opted to have some vets play on 1 year deals to properly develop the kids in hartford and not rush them.

I agree the devs have a bright future. but you do realize more than 1 franchise can have a bright future right?

you keep contradicting yourself, though. You keep saying they'll be young when they bring up players, then you predict they'll sign kaprizov or eichel in 3 years (both will be 30)..thats not really young.

Again, just because you list prospects doesn't mean they're young. every team has prospects

you keep contradicting yourself, though. You keep saying they'll be young when they bring up players, then you predict they'll sign kaprizov or eichel in 3 years (both will be 30)..thats not really young.

Again, just because you list prospects doesn't mean they're young. every team has prospects
kaprisov and eichel would be 29. with eichel turning 30 in season, kaprizov not til end of his first year

It's not contradictory to say they'd be young with the lineup I mentioned. Kaprisov and Eichel would be the 3rd and 4th oldest guys on the team at 29. If they get mcdavid, good luck

kaprisov and eichel would be 29.

It's not contradictory to say they'd be young with the lineup I mentioned. Kaprisov and Eichel would be the 3rd and 4th oldest guys on the team at 29. If they get mcdavid, good luck

eichel will be 30 in october of the first season on his new contract kaprisov will be 30 in march of that season.

you said "good luck" to all when you got Kane and Tarasenko, and we all saw how that turned out (which i predicted following the trades). Rangers will need much more than McDavid.

eichel will be 30 in october of the first season on his new contract kaprisov will be 30 in march of that season.

you said "good luck" to all when you got Kane and Tarasenko, and we all saw how that turned out (which i predicted following the trades). Rangers will need much more than McDavid.

you seem to be arguing how young they are and in such good shape, but then rattling off UFAs they're going to get to take the next step...basically contradicting your opinion that they're a young up and coming team. Usually those types of teams steer clear of UFAs.

Last edited:
Rangers blue line is very young across the board with Trouba being the only old guy. The forward group is the opposite with basically the kid line representing the only young players.

You dont put cuylle on the roster just to sit in the press box. Hes either making it as a regular or hartford.

The way I see it, our lineup right now is

12-7-2

Laff-Mika-Kakko
Panarin-Chytil-Wheeler
Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey
Goodrow-Bonino-Pitlick

Lindgren-Fox
Kandre-Trouba
Gustafsson-Schneider
Jones

Igor
Quick

Pitlick gets hurt alot and when he inevitably goes down then its cuylle time and cuylle doesnt look back imo and becomes a regular. Hes on an ELC so can move him up and down from hartford with no worries of waivers

I think Othmann does a full season in Hartford.

Rangers future is very promising. Berard, Cuylle, Sykora, Othmann will be NHL regulars in the next 1-2 years. I lean towards mcconnell-barker being near the cusp as well. And of course perrault but hes like 3 years away imo
Lol
Laf can’t shoot or carry the puck…
Slowest forward on the team

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Lol
Laf can’t shoot or carry the puck…
Slowest forward on the team
not true. He is a good skater and has one of the best strides in all of hockey, does lack elite top end speed for sure but ELITE edges.

ELITE wrister too.

Very good puck carrier but again hasn't been given much of a chance to showcase anything.

Youre way off the ball here

not true. He is a good skater and has one of the best strides in all of hockey, does lack elite top end speed for sure but ELITE edges.

ELITE wrister too.

Very good puck carrier but again hasn't been given much of a chance to showcase anything.

Youre way off the ball here
Lol, his shot is milk toast.
I’ve never seen him carry the puck across the blue line.
He slow

CAN WE PLEASE HAVE SEPARATE THREAD FOR
THE DEVILS ???????

No need for islanders or flyers based on reply’s to this thread.
Problem is where does general hockey talk go? Can't have like 4 hockey threads in here except for the playoffs.

4700 comments
2500 rangers
2150 Devils
40 isles
10 flyers might be overstated

One of the youngest and top 2 most exciting teams
with speed should not be 🐔 blocked by the isles and turds from Philly

Lol, his shot is milk toast.
I’ve never seen him carry the puck across the blue line.
He slow
You're off the ball here. He's not a blazer at top end but has an elite stride, is great on his edges and overall a good skater.

You're way off the ball here. You'll see this year though.

You're off the ball here. He's not a blazer at top end but has an elite stride, is great on his edges and overall a good skater.

You're way off the ball here. You'll see this year though.
Great on his edges?
I’ve never seen a more invisible top pick in my life.

He isn’t capable of creating one foot of space for himself or anyone else.
Playing him with Mika would be a crime.

Great on his edges?
I’ve never seen a more invisible top pick in my life.
He isn’t capable of creating one foot of space for himself or anyone else.
Playing him with Mika would be a crime.

You’re both correct, in my opinion. He had the potential the Kyk is describing, but he’s yet to show it, maybe a new coach gets it out of him?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT