ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

With Luke entering the league, Graves coming back was never realistic.
Bingo! Especially at the ridiculous price the Pens paid. To me Graves while big, is a finesse defender, who was lousy in the playoffs.

Devs should be very good again but goalie is an enormous concern, they dont have an nhl caliber starter yet. Schmid maybe develops into one, im skeptical, but vanacek is what he is, a career backup. Maybe they go for it at the tdl and pay a big price to rent helly

Reactions: TM94goRU
Fitz has heard Connor's delusional contract demands, and is playing the long game. When/if he comes down from his 9.5 million demand, to say a more reasonable 7 or 7.5 million per year, Captain Fleece Tom Fitzgerald, will pounce and make the deal I believe.

Fitz has heard Connor's delusional contract demands, and is playing the long game. When/if he comes down from his 9.5 million demand, to say a more reasonable 7 or 7.5 million per year, Captain Fleece Tom Fitzgerald, will pounce and make the deal I believe.
Can always trade for him and use him as a rental. Hes not coming down from that number. Hes gonna get $8.5-$9mm

If you’re talking about a salary dump I understand.
If you’re talking playing the game, with a proper system in place, Goodrow is far better than any of the old guys we just signed excluding Wheeler
I’m talking about the fact that no team should be paying their 4th line center $3.6 million in a hard cap league, and the Rangers certain shouldn’t with their cap issues.

Reactions: zappaa
Can always trade for him and use him as a rental. Hes not coming down from that number. Hes gonna get $8.5-$9mm
You could very well be right. I don't think he gets traded now until the in season deadline, when the price might be down for a rental.

My comment about his price coming down, is just based on some recent goalie contracts.

Vanacek sucked in the playoffs with Washington also. If no trade is made, I hope Schmid starts. While I think the Devils are all in now, I would like to play some of the young blood, rather than stunt their growth. However the brass now has us up close to the cap limit. The talk is Nemec will start in Utica, after the Stars trade.

Ala your Broadway Blueshirts.

Top Shelf Hockey on YouTube, has the Rangers trying to trade Goodrow, for his bad contract. Also he thinks Laf gets traded because he is blocked from fulfilling his potential on a scoring line.

Also there are conflicting reports about Laf and Miller. Rangers brass have come out and said neither will be traded. However there are still persistent rumors.

They had almost zero cap space. They did better than anyone could have ever dreamed with what they had to work with. This is not even worthy of debate
WTF did they do other than get Wheeler, which I’m good with.
Lol if you think these other guys make us better.

Deangelo and bertuzzi to carolina confirmed. Theyre gonna be damn good. Theyre going for it

WTF did they do other than get Wheeler, which I’m good with.
Lol if you think these other guys make us better.
Im not saying were juggernauts, im saying we did as best as we could for the limited cap space we could. Wheeler is probably the best VALUE signing this entire offseason.

You could very well be right. I don't think he gets traded now until the in season deadline, when the price might be down for a rental.

My comment about his price coming down, is just based on some recent goalie contracts.

Vanacek sucked in the playoffs with Washington also. If no trade is made, I hope Schmid starts. While I think the Devils are all in now, I would like to play some of the young blood, rather than stunt their growth. However the brass now has us up close to the cap limit. The talk is Nemec will start in Utica, after the Stars trade.

Ala your Broadway Blueshirts.
You get more at the TDL because you can retain 50% and more teams can trade for them

Reactions: TM94goRU
Im not saying were juggernauts, im saying we did as best as we could for the limited cap space we could. Wheeler is probably the best VALUE signing this entire offseason.
We have to address Kakko and Laf are both 3td line players at best on any playoff team with hope to contend

They had almost zero cap space. They did better than anyone could have ever dreamed with what they had to work with. This is not even worthy of debate
Doing nothing would have been better. Best of all would have been to follow a multi year plan but I realize Dolan's whims make that difficult.

Doing nothing would have been better. Best of all would have been to follow a multi year plan but I realize Dolan's whims make that difficult.
I can get pretty worked up by Ranger moves, but these cheap one year signings don’t bother me much.

Their cap situation this year, along with the fact that so many NMCs are still in effect, made it next to impossible to make improvements that would impact multiple years. In addition, the level of these moves allows them to let Kakko and Lafreniere sink or swim with increased ice time, and possibly bring up Othmann later in the year.

I’ll save my strong reactions for the trade deadline, when they inevitably will trade another first round pick away even though their cup chances are slim to none.

Reactions: RU Cheese
Lol anyone who tries to say signing blake wheeler for $800K on a one year deal is a bad move is not to be taken serious.

Drury gets an A+ for his July 1 considering what he had to work with

Bunch of vets on 1 year deal who if they dont work out can be buried in hartford + wheeler being the biggest steal of the whole ufa class at that number. I like gustafsson as well at $800K, good PMD who had a good year under lavi last season

Lol anyone who tries to say signing blake wheeler for $800K on a one year deal is a bad move is not to be taken serious.

Drury gets an A+ for his July 1 considering what he had to work with

Bunch of vets on 1 year deal who if they dont work out can be buried in hartford + wheeler being the biggest steal of the whole ufa class at that number. I like gustafsson as well at $800K, good PMD who had a good year under lavi last season

Not a bad move at all. Again, it’s a very low risk high reward signing.

That being said they certainly didn’t address their needs of being faster and younger. Larry Brooks wrote a great column the other day…not really bashing the signings but questioning the direction of the team.

That being said they certainly didn’t address their needs of being faster and younger. Larry Brooks wrote a great column the other day…not really bashing the signings but questioning the direction of the team.
Those old guys playing together as a 4th line with no young, fast puck hound forecheckers will spend most of the time in their own end

Rangers have one of the younger teams in the league. Filling in some holes with vets on 1 year deals isnt a big deal at all.

4th line has guys like bonino, pitlick and top 6 wheeler who will soon in the next 1-2 years be replaced by kids in othmann, sykora, berard, mcconnell barker. Its of zero concern.

Lavi’s system stressing the LW or RW lock depending upon what dmen the opposition has values length as much as speed. And bonino and gustafsson have already proven to be very good in the system

Those old guys playing together as a 4th line with no young, fast puck hound forecheckers will spend most of the time in their own end
Zapp youre wrong. In lavi’s system f1 forces the puck up the right wall, f2 then gets in, LW then locks up the outlet pass on the boards, d1 plays support and d2 is playing centerfield.

You should watch a video on how the lw lock system works. Length is just as valuable as speed in a lot of cases. Would we like more speed? Sure. But this system is a good one and we have good personnel for it.

Lavi didnt exactly have burners leading his teams he took to cups. Claude giroux, jvr, mike richard and jeff carter arent exactly known for being a speed demons.

Gustafsson is your ideal 6 D. You wanted a puck mover, you got one of the best in hockey that was available at only $800K.

Rangers have one of the younger teams in the league. Filling in some holes with vets on 1 year deals isnt a big deal at all.

4th line has guys like bonino, pitlick and top 6 wheeler who will soon in the next 1-2 years be replaced by kids in othmann, sykora, berard, mcconnell barker. Its of zero concern.

Lavi’s system stressing the LW or RW lock depending upon what dmen the opposition has values length as much as speed. And bonino and gustafsson have already proven to be very good in the system

Per Capfriendly, Rangers current average age is 29. Third highest in the league.

Would certainly be higher if not for their young blue liners…but rangers forwards are anything but young

Reactions: CHOPU
Per Capfriendly, Rangers current average age is 29. Third highest in the league.

Would certainly be higher if not for their young blue liners…but rangers forwards are anything but young
This is skewed because they have a backup goalie whos 37, wheeler whos 36 and signed a bunch of vets to compete for 4th line spots who are older.

The rangers are not an old team, its absurd to claim otherwise.

Rangers oldest player of their core is chris kreider at 32.

Core Forwards

Kreider 32
Mika 30
Kakko 22
Panarin 31
Chytil 23
Laff 21
Trocheck 29
Goodrow 30

Core dmen
Fox 25
Lindgren 25
Kandre 23
Trouba 29
Schneider 21

Core Goalie
Igor 27

This is not an old team by any stretch youre trying to say its old by throwing in vet 4th liners, a 1 year bridge player in wheeler and a backup goalie.

And its quite likely that at some point this year + next pups like othmann, cuylle, berard, mcconnell barker and sykora join that core making it even younger.

This is skewed because they have a backup goalie whos 37, wheeler whos 36 and signed a bunch of vets to compete for 4th line spots who are older.

The rangers are not an old team, its absurd to claim otherwise.

Rangers oldest player of their core is chris kreider at 32.

Core Forwards

Kreider 32
Mika 30
Kakko 22
Panarin 31
Chytil 23
Laff 21
Trocheck 29
Goodrow 30

Core dmen
Fox 25
Lindgren 25
Kandre 23
Trouba 29
Schneider 21

Core Goalie
Igor 27

This is not an old team by any stretch youre trying to say its old by throwing in vet 4th liners, a 1 year bridge player in wheeler and a backup goalie.

I’m not trying to skew anything. Just stating facts. 9 of the 12 likely forwards this year will be 30 or older come the season. I’m sorry but that’s old in NHL terms.

Again, we agree the wheeler deal is great terms. Getting him for 800k is great. But do the Rangers need him? Is he filling a need? Did Pitlick, Bonino fill the Rangers glaring need that they need to become faster? Younger?

I’m not trying to skew anything. Just stating facts. 9 of the 12 likely forwards this year will be 30 or older come the season. I’m sorry but that’s old in NHL terms.

Again, we agree the wheeler deal is great terms. Getting him for 800k is great. But do the Rangers need him? Is he filling a need? Did Pitlick, Bonino fill the Rangers glaring need that they need to become faster? Younger?
Yes wheeler fills an enormous rw void, do you know the rangers roster? Theres a difference between being 30-32 and 35+. The rangers dont need to become younger this year theyre plenty young. If they wanted to force youth just say, “yeah bro, youth man”. Then they could easily have an entire 4th line of kids barely able to buy alochol and teenagers, just would be dumb and be rushing them.

The rangers are better this year with a 4th line of bonino goodrow and cuylle than the would be with a 4th line of cuylle mcconnell barker and berard/sykora. Youre acting as if these kids are gonna disappear.

And then next year the rangers magically become young when the following happens

Othmann replaces wheeler

Cuylle/sykora/berard/mcconnell barker/edstrom replace bonino pitlick

Zac jones/matthew robertson replace gustafsson (I like gus as a 6D so hope we can keep him)

Garand replaces quick

The idea of just becoming younger just to say youre young is dumb.

Yes wheeler fills an enormous rw void, do you know the rangers roster? Theres a difference between being 30-32 and 35+. The rangers dont need to become younger this year theyre plenty young. If they wanted to force youth just say, “yeah bro, youth man”. Then they could easily have an entire 4th line of kids barely able to buy alochol and teenagers, just would be dumb and be rushing them.

The rangers are better this year with a 4th line of bonino goodrow and cuylle than the would be with a 4th line of cuylle mcconnell barker and berard/sykora. Youre acting as if these kids are gonna disappear.

And then next year the rangers magically become young when the following happens

Othmann replaces wheeler

Cuylle/sykora/berard/mcconnell barker/edstrom replace bonino pitlick

Zac jones/matthew robertson replace gustafsson (I like gus as a 6D so hope we can keep him)

Garand replaces quick

The idea of just becoming younger just to say youre young is dumb.

The idea of becoming younger isn’t just to say you’re young. It was evident the rangers got worn down last season by a much quicker, much younger devils squad. They need speed and fire. Not sure a 2nd line wheeler or a 4th line of 33+ guys is the answer to that.

That’s why I think they need to get younger. It’s a young man’s league. You obviously think otherwise. Agree to disagree

The idea of becoming younger isn’t just to say you’re young. It was evident the rangers got worn down last season by a much quicker, much younger devils squad. They need speed and fire. Not sure a 2nd line wheeler or a 4th line of 33+ guys is the answer to that.

That’s why I think they need to get younger. It’s a young man’s league. You obviously think otherwise. Agree to disagree
Nah it wasnt that. It was truly the fact that they had no structure and literally didnt play a system under gallant. It wasnt that complicated. Youll see this year with a coach who has a structure, a system and actually runs practices.

Devs had more speed than the canes but got caved in and got the shit kicked out of them. Canes played a system and had a structure

Nah it wasnt that. It was truly the fact that they had no structure and literally didnt play a system under gallant. It wasnt that complicated. Youll see this year with a coach who has a structure, a system and actually runs practices.

Devs had more speed than the canes but got caved in and got the shit kicked out of them. Canes played a system and had a structure

Why did they play a system and have structure the first 3 games?

They were much better. Agree. They got worn down as the series went on.
Had zero to do with getting worn down. Ruff changed up their forecheck/support and rangers didnt have a system to counter haha. Well known, was talked about endlessly on nhl network and by the same beat writers you posted earlier.

Had zero to do with getting worn down. Ruff changed up their forecheck/support and rangers didnt have a system to counter haha. Well known, was talked about endlessly on nhl network and by the same beat writers you posted earlier.

I think they way the roster was constructed played a big role on why the rangers didn’t have the system to stop them.

This year’s moves only make sense if viewed in terms of basically treading water for this year, then making bigger moves to reorganize the team next summer when they will actually have cap space and some big contracts move from NMCs to modified NTCs.

I think they way the roster was constructed played a big role on why the rangers didn’t have the system to stop them.
Why did the devils get caved in by an older and broken down canes team who had to even roll with ahl players?

I dont think you followed the rangers the past 2 years with some takes here

Why did the devils get caved in by an older and broken down canes team who had to even roll with ahl players?

Most of it had to do with the goaltending play. Also think they got too high after beating a rival and kind of looked past carolina

This year’s moves only make sense if viewed in terms of basically treading water for this year, then making bigger moves to reorganize the team next summer when they will actually have cap space and some big contracts move from NMCs to modified NTCs.
Next offseason 2 of goodrow, trouba, kreider, lindgren are moved imo. Rangers are in fine shape

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT