ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

If the Jets don't get delusional after the Kings fleecing this could work. Getting Hellebucyk might get us the Cup this year. If reports are true about him wanting to be a Devil, he may accept a 3 to 5 year deal. Perhaps Fitz could even front load the contract, without the NHL screwing us ala Kovy.

There has been a gap between reported contract wants, and what the contract turns out to be. With Schmid, Daws, and Brennan we will be fine, even if he doesn't resign.

I've been hard on Fitz in the past, but I think he makes it work. As long as the Jets are responsible. Something like a '24 1st round pick and 3rd round pick, Vanacek, and Russian prospect Arseni Gritsyuk for Connor Hellebucyk.
Most contracts for big players are front loaded to accelerate cash flow to the player, but this has no salary cap impact in current CBA because cap number is constant average over life of the deal.

Most contracts for big players are front loaded to accelerate cash flow to the player, but this has no salary cap impact in current CBA because cap number is constant average over life of the deal.
Thanks, I thought it was that way.

Just need the cash flow from ownership to accomplish this . Fitzy said ownership has given him the green light to do this . Unlike previous owners

Reactions: TM94goRU
The big impact with the front loaded contracts is on the buyout. A buyout allows the team to pay only 2/3 of the remaining contract (and the cap hit reduces accordingly), and it spreads out over more years than the contract had left. So, if too much is paid up front to a player a buyout of their contract doesn’t really save the team any real money or reduce the cap hit much.

Surprisingly McLeod, Bastian, and Boqvist not tendered by the Devils. They still could resign at a lower price, but are UFA's as of noon tomorrow.

Kevin Weekes is reporting Jonathan Quick will sign with the Rangers tomorrow. He grew up rooting for them.

Last edited:
Surprisingly McLeod, Bastian, and Boquist not tendered by the Devils. They still could resign at a lower price, but are UFA's as of noon tomorrow.

Kevin Weekes is reporting Jonathan Quick will sign with the Rangers tomorrow. He grew up rooting for them.
Hopefully Quick signed for near the minimum. I am convinced that Rangers’ goalie coach Benoit Allaire could get you to post a .900 save percentage given a couple of months to work with you.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Hopefully Quick signed for near the minimum. I am convinced that Rangers’ goalie coach Benoit Allaire could get you to post a .900 save percentage given a couple of months to work with you.
He may sign for the minimum. Here is why I think that, he grew up a diehard Rangers fan, and he has made a ton of money, while never playing close to home. To me it all adds up.

Quick will sign for the minimum because he 's over 35 and you can give him performance bonuses that don't count against the cap. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers try do the same thing with Patrick Kane. I would also expect the Rangers to sign a couple of Lavolette's guys a la Garnet Hathaway

There's going to be a lot of one year deals because the cap is flat this year but rumored to be going up at least eight million next year.

I think my greatest fear during free agency is that a team will try to offer sheet K'Andre Miller to eat up the cap to match. Goodrow could be gone in that scenario

Scuttlebutt is the Devils would like to still add a forward. They are said to be in the Bertuzzi sweepstakes, as well as in it for Killorn. Killorn wants 5 million times 3. If anyone signs for more than 2 million AAV, some money has to be traded out IMO.

Boston going with New Jersey today. JVR from Middletown, by way of the Brick Hockey Club is now a.Bruin on short-term deal

also Tyler Pitlick. Vince Mercogliano just tweeted the Pitlick, Quick and Wheeler are expected to make the roster. this leaves 9.3 million to sign Laf and Miller and a few more slots. Right now i think the ideal lineup is:

Panarin-Mika-Kakko
Laf-Chytil-Wheeler
Krieder-Trocheck-Othmann or Cullye
Pitlick-Goodrow Vesey

Fox-Lindgren
Trouba-Miller
Jones-Schneider

Rangers LOVE the aging stars. Lol.

Low risk hig reward signing I guess…but ehhh.
As a Ranger fan, I have to compare moves to the potentially worse moves they could have done.

Wheeler is still a consistent 60 point player who can move down to the bottom six if necessary. One year deal, and his experience means you can get rid of Goodrow without creating a void.

They shouldn’t have such a need at RW, but given they do I much prefer this Wheeler move over coming off of surgery and needs to be top 6 Kane.

also Tyler Pitlick. Vince Mercogliano just tweeted the Pitlick, Quick and Wheeler are expected to make the roster. this leaves 9.3 million to sign Laf and Miller and a few more slots. Right now i think the ideal lineup is:

Panarin-Mika-Kakko
Laf-Chytil-Wheeler
Krieder-Trocheck-Othmann or Cullye
Pitlick-Goodrow Vesey

Fox-Lindgren
Trouba-Miller
Jones-Schneider
I totally agree with your lineup to start the year, except Goodrow should be gone for a cheaper 4C option. Hopefully Laviolette gives Chytil a real good run as 2C, and Kreider needs to be third line because he big value is on specials.

For the Rangers and every other playoff contender it’s all about time and space, forechecking and not reversing the puck in your own zone except in dire emergencies.
Not sure these old guy give us that

Perrault is apparently fvck up proof due to his iq. We’ll see.
I would say he’s got speed, jump, can create his own space and has a quick release.
All things Laf and Kakko can’t do.
No I don’t think Kakko pushing the puck to himself on the perimeter is creating space for himself or anyone else

Last edited:
Killorn to Ducks apparently. I have not heard a report on Graves, among several others.

I'm happy we are not maxing out our cap for Killorn. I don't think he sniffs last year's totals again.

Graves signs with Pittsburgh.

The Devils tap the goalie market kind of, former Toronto 7th round pick Eric Kallgren is now a Devil. He is 26 with a winning record, all be it a very small sample size.

• Sad
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Drury made chicken salad out of chicken shit. Very happy with how today went

Old and slow is not better
They had almost zero cap space. They did better than anyone could have ever dreamed with what they had to work with. This is not even worthy of debate

Only a AAV of $2.5M, so the length is meh but a very good AAV.
Takes him till he is 33.

I've always liked Wood, but missed almost all of the 21-22 season, and was banged up a bunch this year which hindered his play. Not surprising given his style of play that he's been injured.

I'd say a fair amount of his speed has been lost in the process.

If he can regain some of his form, and stay healthy I think that could be a good deal for Colorado. If he can't then it could look pretty bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT