ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

The fact is that fans get murdered at other sporting events but it gets less coverage than some stupid Santa story from 1968 in Philly.

Flyers fans threw tons of the LED bracelets on the ice in 2016 when they got crushed and I think there was a smaller incident in 2018 as well. Very curious to see all the other unique incidents that you're about to mention.

On a side note, good to see that the people of Newark, NJ apparently learned they have a hockey team over the last two weeks. Fun team to watch.

Cool story bruh

1975 😆

The fact is that fans get murdered at other sporting events but it gets less coverage than some stupid Santa story from 1968 in Philly.

Flyers fans threw tons of the LED bracelets on the ice in 2016 when they got crushed and I think there was a smaller incident in 2018 as well. Very curious to see all the other unique incidents that you're about to mention.

On a side note, good to see that the people of Newark, NJ apparently learned they have a hockey team over the last two weeks. Fun team to watch.
Or maybe fans in Newark are responding to the team not being the doormat they’ve been for the last decade. If you build it…

Reeves traded to Minnesota
Everyone was talking yesterday about the Reaves trade freeing up the money for deadline deals, but I think they need to use some of it to acquire a backup goalie now.

They have 7 regulation losses and 4-5 of them are due to Halak’s poor play,

It's too bad that John Tavares had to score one of the goals.

Edmonton must hate this Eastern trip.First,they lose to a born again Devils' team.Next,they get shut out by a settled Islanders' team.Now,they have to face an angry Rangers' team.The hotel at which they're staying is hoping that the players don't become Joe Walshes.

It's too bad that John Tavares had to score one of the goals.

Edmonton must hate this Eastern trip.First,they lose to a born again Devils' team.Next,they get shut out by a settled Islanders' team.Now,they have to face an angry Rangers' team.The hotel at which they're staying is hoping that the players don't become Joe Walshes.
The Rangers for some reason are usually pretty lifeless in afternoon games. Combine that with Gallant’s inexplicable stubbornness in not always matching lines at home and I would think McDavid is salivating over Saturday’s game more than today’s Thanksgiving meal.

Was in 21 a few rows back. Was insane. I cant say I wasn’t amused.
I was in the top of the lower bowl, corners, so no beer being thrown anywhere near me.

Of course throwing beers is no good, but it was an extreme situation, and the crowd was great, just bonkers in that 3rd period. Most fun I've had in a loss ever.

I guess he was a good enough ref in the AHL to be given a chance at the NHL, but yeah when I just saw the video of him butchering that announcement I was pretty surprised to see that in an NHL game. Hell even in a local youth game, a ref screwing up announcing a call like that would lose all credibility in the players' and coaches' minds, let alone at the highest level of the sport. You can tell he was nervous.
That was the worst thing that happened IMO. Like a player being afraid of the ball, he had 3 of them, and none of them made the home team 😊. Murphy's Law, it can only get better from here for him.

The fan site Pucks @ Pitchforks has a nice article/ breakdown of the 3 overturned goals last night. While it is a Tough way to lose, I think this could propel this team to greater heights in the future.

Now on with the rest of the year. I hope a new winning streak starts Friday, and Fitzgerald gets some size and toughness for the forward lines.

The fan site Pucks @ Pitchforks has a nice article/ breakdown of the 3 overturned goals last night. While it is a Tough way to lose, I think this could propel this team to greater heights in the future.

Now on with the rest of the year. I hope a new winning streak starts Friday, and Fitzgerald gets some size and toughness for the forward lines.
Why do we need size and toughness when we’ve been dominant thus far?

Reactions: TM94goRU
Everyone was talking yesterday about the Reaves trade freeing up the money for deadline deals, but I think they need to use some of it to acquire a backup goalie now.

They have 7 regulation losses and 4-5 of them are due to Halak’s poor play,
Soft goals lose more games than great saves win games.
Halak leads the league in soft goals.
I don’t remember a shot on goal by Sammy yet.

Why do we need size and toughness when we’ve been dominant thus far?
For where I expect us to go after this season, the playoffs. While not full, old-time hockey, to have a legitimate shot of maximizing the year, we need a couple of new-age enforcer's to keep the opposition honest.

Right now I would call this NJD team, a nice regular season team.

Soft goals lose more games than great saves win games.
Halak leads the league in soft goals.
I don’t remember a shot on goal by Sammy yet.
Benoit Allaire has been able to get a lot of different guys playing well, so with Halak being consistently bad from the beginning, I assume he is just shot.

Reactions: miker183
Akira Akira !!!

music video GIF by Shakira

It doesn't need to be a penalty to be disallowed. Incidental contact outside the crease negates the goal when the attacking player doesn't make enough of an effort to avoid contact. I'd say the majority of people who ref would agree that Tatar could have done more to avoid contact.

Having a second situation room would create more inconsistency, which defeats the purpose of having a situation room. It doesn't matter where it is, it's not like they're just hiring local hockey fans to be part of it.
Yes it does. Incidental contact does not disallow the goal. Should have been a penalty or a goal. The kid effed up.

For where I expect us to go after this season, the playoffs. While not full, old-time hockey, to have a legitimate shot of maximizing the year, we need a couple of new-age enforcer's to keep the opposition honest.

Right now I would call this NJD team, a nice regular season team.
How is that tough guy act working out for our friends across the river? Plus we thrive on having four lines churning out one after another with speed and tenacity, we don't need the size some think we need.

How is that tough guy act working out for our friends across the river? Plus we thrive on having four lines churning out one after another with speed and tenacity, we don't need the size some think we need.
Respectfully disagree. Exhibit A, the Watson hit, as well as some others lately. Nico and Jack do not have a great track record of avoiding hard hits or staying healthy.

The Rangers went too far done that path. I am saying get some strength and size, because right now we are too small when the ice "shrinks" and the hitting goes up in the spring. We have no one that strikes fear in the opposition. So they never will pull up on a dangerous hit, think twice about running our goalie, or giving a jab to the ribs. While we have pests and character, I feel we need protection.

Otherwise our next playoff matchup will look a lot like our last. Beaten up by Tampa Bay.

Respectfully disagree. Exhibit A, the Watson hit, as well as some others lately. Nico and Jack do not have a great track record of avoiding hard hits or staying healthy.

The Rangers went too far done that path. I am saying get some strength and size, because right now we are too small when the ice "shrinks" and the hitting goes up in the spring. We have no one that strikes fear in the opposition. So they never will pull up on a dangerous hit, think twice about running our goalie, or giving a jab to the ribs. While we have pests and character, I feel we need protection.

Otherwise our next playoff matchup will look a lot like our last. Beaten up by Tampa Bay.
He's still going to get hit with goons or no goons on our roster - just stop man. We don't need goons, we're manhandling everyone in the league, the only team who has been giving us fits is tonight's matchup, the Caps.

On top of that we have Palat coming back still, I mean what two players are you going to sit or get rid of?

He's still going to get hit with goons or no goons on our roster - just stop man. We don't need goons, we're manhandling everyone in the league, the only team who has been giving us fits is tonight's matchup, the Caps.

On top of that we have Palat coming back still, I mean what two players are you going to sit or get rid of?
I never said goons. I said size and toughness. Look at every team that has won a Stanley Cup the last decade, for all the skill and stars, the team's have been bigger and tougher than most. In the playoffs, you need more than skill. It is why most small players don't do as well in the playoffs IMO.

I never said goons. I said size and toughness. Look at every team that has won a Stanley Cup the last decade, for all the skill and stars, the team's have been bigger and tougher than most. In the playoffs, you need more than skill. It is why most small players don't do as well in the playoffs IMO.
But who are you going to get rid of? And we're not a bunch of mini-mites either, we do have size especially on the blue line. Get Palat back and there is some more size on the top-6. If we can pick up another big guy who can play the kind of hockey the Devils play, great, I'm all for it, I just don't think we need to fix what's not broken.

But who are you going to get rid of? And we're not a bunch of mini-mites either, we do have size especially on the blue line. Get Palat back and there is some more size on the top-6. If we can pick up another big guy who can play the kind of hockey the Devils play, great, I'm all for it, I just don't think we need to fix what's not broken.
Spit balling here, I see a trade market for RD Severson and Blackwood if healthy. That doesn't even get into the minor league system, where we have a lot of talent for a trade package or 2. We don't need 5 guys, just one or two to keep our opponents honest.

Not Gionta small, but a lot of 5 ft. nothing 100 and nothing. Miles Wood is a nice pest. Smith is a good team guy. Agree to disagree, I think we need 1 or 2 new age enforcer's. Hey it is to me our last obstacle to getting consistently good enough to be a Cup contender.

One of my favorite players to watch is Matt Martin. Now Lou would never trade him to the Devils, but he is the tough honest hockey player type I'm talking about when I say new age enforcer.

If you don't have a couple guys that will mash anybody who cheap shots your skill guys, you won't make it out of the second round. Without ramifications opponents will just hammer your front line guys. Just the way it is.
Guys saying Devs aren't built for playoffs right now are correct.
Love the way they are playing and have been a fan since arrival, but facts are facts.

Jack Hughes is abusing the Caps goalie tonight 2 goals. Come on I feel a hat trick coming and a new 2 game winning streak.

Did someone get hurt on Devils today? Heard announcer say it but couldn’t make out name.

If Bastian is hurt , guess Holtz gets called up?
I would certainly call him up. It certainly hurts our power play. I'm thinking maybe Ruff should try McLeod as a replacement. Although not a hitter, he is pretty big and fast.

Jack Hughes hat trick!

The end of this Isles-Flyers game has gotten interesting and I’m not talking about the hockey. Among other things, Tony DeAngelo decided to pick a fight with Wahlstrom and got his -12 +/- ass kicked. Still, Isles win!

Reactions: jreinsdorf
All I would say after the video is it is a shame Kakko has celiac disease. I think the fact that he is sick, and not able to eat normally has greatly hurt his game.

Even if no die hard fan in a opposing city is putting gluten in his food, cross contamination is very likely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT