ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

You're obviously right, the Rangers should have picked Hughes instead.

Oh wait, we picked second, so it wasn't actually an option.
You're missing the point, it's not that the Rangers made the wrong pick, it's that the Rangers fans in the video were pumped the Devils chose Hughes instead of Kakko. I wonder if T2K still thinks Kakko is better.

I would certainly call him up. It certainly hurts our power play. I'm thinking maybe Ruff should try McLeod as a replacement. Although not a hitter, he is pretty big and fast.

Jack Hughes hat trick!
I'd also go Holtz as per the call up.

But I'd go Zetterlund in Bastian's spot. On both the PP and 5v5.

Reactions: TM94goRU
That would work. I used McLeod in part, to try and raise his trade value.
McLeod is a pretty good 4th liner, and the team is absolutely rolling. Why are you looking to trade him?

As per the PP I'm looking for the best option. I'd give Zetterlund a look, he's not as big as Bastian, but he is a strong guy, can grind, and he has offensive skills.

McLeod is a pretty good 4th liner, and the team is absolutely rolling. Why are you looking to trade him?

As per the PP I'm looking for the best option. I'd give Zetterlund a look, he's not as big as Bastian, but he is a strong guy, can grind, and he has offensive skills.
I'm not looking to trade anyone except Severson because of his expiring contract. I figure McLeod is a former 1st round pick, who is good at his role. Other teams may want him, and we have players in the pipeline who can fill his role nicely.

You're missing the point, it's not that the Rangers made the wrong pick, it's that the Rangers fans in the video were pumped the Devils chose Hughes instead of Kakko. I wonder if T2K still thinks Kakko is better.

Not missing the point at all.

Now, I personally thought that Kakko would be better out of the gate due to the position he plays. Far easier to make the leap as a wing versus center. Having said that, I still believe Hughes has the greater ceiling.

And, I also believe that the Rangers significantly mishandled Kakko.

Not missing the point at all.

Now, I personally thought that Kakko would be better out of the gate due to the position he plays. Far easier to make the leap as a wing versus center. Having said that, I still believe Hughes has the greater ceiling.

And, I also believe that the Rangers significantly mishandled Kakko.
That’s what I said too.

Btw, where do all the hats go? Always wondered about that.

I'm not looking to trade anyone except Severson because of his expiring contract. I figure McLeod is a former 1st round pick, who is good at his role. Other teams may want him, and we have players in the pipeline who can fill his role nicely.
I'm at the point where I don't trade anyone, expiring contract or not. Or course things can change as the season progresses but I'm not looking to mess with anything right now.

I also think McLeod plays a pretty difficult role. A 4th line center who takes tons of d-zone faceoffs. It's not a simple ask.

I'm at the point where I don't trade anyone, expiring contract or not. Or course things can change as the season progresses but I'm not looking to mess with anything right now.

I also think McLeod plays a pretty difficult role. A 4th line center who takes tons of d-zone faceoffs. It's not a simple ask.
Agree to a point, but we need some "protection" for the playoffs.

Big game tonight.
I'll be watching despite having no dog in this fight.
It's too early to be rooting against teams.

Fact:
Galante is a strap em on and go get ‘em coach in a system league.
Rangers are void of pressuring the puck in all 3 zones .
We still have forwards skating backwards in the neutral zone
The open ice is comical

Last edited:
How bout those Devils !

One of the biggest differences between teams is how Hughes and Nico have become stars and Kakko and Lafreniere are invisible

Igor ain’t the same goalie

Rangers are finding the hard way that it ain’t easy to repeat superior years. It seems like they’re coasting and they really miss guys like Vetrano ; Kopp etc.

Reactions: mikemarc1
First real regular season goal scream in many many years !!!!!!!!!

Oooooh ooooooh ooooooooh hey hey hey oooooooh ooooooooh

LGD !!!!!!!!!!

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Fun to watch a game like this at work over the meal with other hockey fans.

One of guys (not working tonight) is on the FDNY team.

Reactions: robcac26
How bout those Devils !

One of the biggest differences between teams is how Hughes and Nico have become stars and Kakko and Lafreniere are invisible

Igor ain’t the same goalie

Rangers are finding the hard way that it ain’t easy to repeat superior years. It seems like they’re coasting and they really miss guys like Vetrano ; Kopp etc.
Kakko and Laf.
Kakko with one possession move that lands him below the goal line or back to the point, never to the net.
Laf can’t stick handle or carry the puck, and has no speed.

Last edited:
To quote Vancouver Canucks legend, Mark Messier on this year’s Devils: “They’ve got a good young team that’s got some skill. They’re a couple years away, but they’re showing some signs of really doing something OK.” 🤡

19-4-0 is an “ok” mark. The last 10 years of dreck have conditioned me to expect the shoe to drop, but this group feels different. Fast, attacking, offensive-minded hockey with a sturdy, reliable defense and NHL-caliber goaltending.

A One man low forecheck when the opponent has control of the puck instead of two men with the goal to pressure the outlet pass will not work in today’s NHL.
Gallant worried about odd man rushes wants the second guy high and allows speed through the defensive zone and the neutral zone.
It’s shocking to me when reviewing the tapes he doesn’t alter the system to relentlessly harass puck carriers.
Doesn’t he see why we have trouble getting out of our own end?
It’s nothing more than modern offensive forechecking systems that force us to reverse the puck more than any team in the league by far.

Last edited:
Reactions: krup
A One man low forecheck when the opponent has control of the puck instead of two men with the goal to pressure the outlet pass will not work in today’s NHL.
Gallant worried about odd man rushes wants the second guy high and allows speed through the defensive zone and the neutral zone.
It’s shocking to me when reviewing the tapes he doesn’t alter the system to relentlessly harass puck carriers.
Doesn’t he see why we have trouble getting out of our own end?
It’s nothing more than modern offensive forechecking systems that force us to reverse the puck more than any team in the league by far.
He often doesn’t do basic hockey coaching things like matching lines at home or calling timeouts when the team is in the middle of giving up a lead, so why do you expect him to do something like adjusting his system?

He points out when Jones, who is is an excellent puck handler, makes a defensive mistake and benches him in favor of Hayek who is inept at getting out of his zone. He made Trouba, who is playing laughable bad, captain. He played Nemeth most of last year and didn’t give Lundkvist a chance. He has no idea what being an effective defenseman requires.

Reactions: RU Cheese
Holy 💩
NHL network …..everyone is forgetting Palat is out. Palat would replace Holtz in lineup if he were healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT