ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

If 2 guys make the same wrong call it makes the first guy right?
Didn't see the goal you referenced here, but if the circumstance was the same then the call was incorrect. The rule is it's either a goal or a penalty( and disallowed). If you are deemed to have interfered with a goaltender resulting in a goal, whether intentional or not, it's a penalty and no goal.
Ok so should I continue to point out for you every time this happens? Do you think you know the rules better than guys who not only ref for a living but have made it all the way to the highest level? Like I said, incidental contact with a goalie happens all the time. It doesn't become a penalty just because the puck goes into the net. Non-incidental contact is always a penalty.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmc11201
Hughes is becoming a superstar right before our eyes
Hughes has quick twitch, innate ability to make plays in space and in traffic and can carry the puck over the blue line.
You saw all those traits flash from day one.
The two guys on the other side of the river are bottom 6 players at best for any playoff level team.
Can you imagine Laf trying to keep up with Pastrnak and Marchant.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Ok so should I continue to point out for you every time this happens? Do you think you know the rules better than guys who not only ref for a living but have made it all the way to the highest level? Like I said, incidental contact with a goalie happens all the time. It doesn't become a penalty just because the puck goes into the net. Non-incidental contact is always a penalty.
Did you read the rule?
The guys doing the Devils game when it happened did, and showed the entire text of the rule. They came to the same conclusion I did.
Point out however many guys call it wrong that you want.
I have no control over whether officials ignore the plain text of the rule.
Simple solution is to change the rule.
Traveling is a rule in the NBA..... Need any more examples? I can notify you every time LeBron takes 5 steps and keep you up to date.

Hughes has quick twitch, innate ability to make plays in space and in traffic and can carry the puck over the blue line.
The two guys on the other side of the river are bottom 6 players at best for any playoff level team.
I think Hughes ability to create and find space has been more visible since day one.

His ability to work in tight spaces is becoming more apparent as he goes.

That play that led to the cross ice pass to Hamilton was maybe his most impressive highlight to date.

I think Hughes ability to create and find space has been more visible since day one.

That play that led to the cross ice pass to Hamilton was maybe his most impressive highlight to date.
The Rangers “game changing number 1 overall pick”
From day one had no hop or jump (according to insiders…slow)
Has no puck carrying skills, can’t shoot or create space.
His only attribute is being in the right place at the right time via a bounce, or deflection

Did you read the rule?
The guys doing the Devils game when it happened did, and showed the entire text of the rule. They came to the same conclusion I did.
Point out however many guys call it wrong that you want.
I have no control over whether officials ignore the plain text of the rule.
Simple solution is to change the rule.
Traveling is a rule in the NBA..... Need any more examples? I can notify you every time LeBron takes 5 steps and keep you up to date.
Yes I've read the rule and it is confusingly written and needs to be redone. However, this is why the back of the rulebook contains extensive reference tables to clarify what the calls should be in many specific scenarios. Here's what it says about goalie intereference, couldn't possibly be any clearer that the penalty is optional when contact is incidental.

C. An attacking player makes incidental
contact with the goalkeeper at the
same time a goal is scored.

Goal is disallowed. The official in his
judgment may call a minor penalty on the
attacking player. The announcement
should be, “No goal due to interference
with the goalkeeper.”

His only attribute is being in the right place at the right time via a bounce, or deflection
Speaking of Laf here?

Both he and Kakko just seem to lack high end skating ability, which is what this league is all about.

We have a similar story with Holtz.

Zap-

I am not seeing anything elite from Lafreniere either, but in his entire time on the Rangers he has the same amount of points at even strength as Kreider, in less minutes. Chytil has led the Rangers in even strength points per 60 for a few years now and the Ranger response was to sign Trocheck to a long term deal that blocks him.

Ranger fans have a warped sense of how good their top players are because they compile so many points by getting 1:40 of every power play and lots of even strength time, and that conversely causes them to think their young forwards are worse than they are.

A perfect example was the Blues game. Laf and Kakko were moved up to play with Mika, the line played well, and Ranger fans (and the idiot coach) talk about how much Mika helped them. Well, in the first part of the game Mika was on the ice for 0 goals for and 2 goals against, then playing with Laf/Kakko he was on for 2 goals for and 0 goals against. Who’s helping who???

Zap-

I am not seeing anything elite from Lafreniere either, but in his entire time on the Rangers he has the same amount of points at even strength as Kreider, in less minutes. Chytil has led the Rangers in even strength points per 60 for a few years now and the Ranger response was to sign Trocheck to a long term deal that blocks him.

Ranger fans have a warped sense of how good their top players are because they compile so many points by getting 1:40 of every power play and lots of even strength time, and that conversely causes them to think their young forwards are worse than they are.

A perfect example was the Blues game. Laf and Kakko were moved up to play with Mika, the line played well, and Ranger fans (and the idiot coach) talk about how much Mika helped them. Well, in the first part of the game Mika was on the ice for 0 goals for and 2 goals against, then playing with Laf/Kakko he was on for 2 goals for and 0 goals against. Who’s helping who???
Doesn’t matter what the circumstances are for goals scored, Kreider still scored 50 of them last year and has 13 this year.
He drives me nuts with his passivity at times, but if you replaced Krieds and Vince with Laf and Kakko, we’d be minus on the PP.
Also, IMO…Trochek is the absolute least of our problems, that dude can play.

I have only seen the highlights of Hughes recently, and if anything he reminds of Panarin with his vision, passing, and puck handling (I mean peak Panarin, not this season’s Panarin)

Hughes is becoming a superstar right before our eyes

Thanks to the camera work on MSG last night I could see what he saw in the pass to Bratt.

Was having dinner with the guys at work and said "goal!" before he even sent it across.

Doesn’t matter what the circumstances are for goals scored, Kreider still scored 50 of them last year and has 13 this year.
He drives me nuts with his passivity at times, but if you replaced Krieds and Vince with Laf and Kakko, we’d be minus on the PP.
Also, IMO…Trochek is the absolute least of our problems, that dude can play.
Zap-

Not taking TOI and situation into account is foolish. Kreider has been mediocre for a 1LW at even strength, masked by power play goal scoring,

I like Trochek a lot, but he plays a position they couldn’t afford to spend big on. The Rangers play the cap game horribly. The move last offseason was to elevate Chytil to 2C and sign a solid 3C who would be making a lot less than Trochek.

They worried so much about keeping Panarin happy by making a big 2C signing, which is dumb when you are already paying almost 1/3 of your cap on 2 LWs and the second pair RHD. To add insult to injury, Panarin has not been playing that great even though Trochek has been fine.

Holtz is a bust?

Devils cannot afford that to happen
No way is he a bust. But, while not sure I would have the stones to do it and it probably will not happen this year, if NJD window is open, IMO he is absolutely a resource that could be swapped for some playoff grit. If it were me, I’d stand pat, see how this makeup works in playoff hockey. Then adjust. But most GMs don’t think that way. They have a shelf life. And while probably not Holtz, I’d be shocked if we didn’t see moves at the TDL. I’d say minimum this years first is gone. Should be interesting.

No way is he a bust. But, while not sure I would have the stones to do it and it probably will not happen this year, if NJD window is open, IMO he is absolutely a resource that could be swapped for some playoff grit. If it were me, I’d stand pat, see how this makeup works in playoff hockey. Then adjust. But most GMs don’t think that way. They have a shelf life. And while probably not Holtz, I’d be shocked if we didn’t see moves at the TDL. I’d say minimum this years first is gone. Should be interesting.

What have you seen from him to say he’s not a bust?

4 points in 17 games.
Slow
Falls down when someone breathes near him
Healthy scratch until two roster players were injured.

Same. Hoping for no moves.

Thinking Fitz may also be of like mind considering the big moves he's made in recent years. And NOT trading the likes of Graves and Severson is kind of like making a trade for solid veterans.

Also factor in the return of Palat.

Really don't see the need. Literally we are solid at every position.

Holtz is a bust?

Devils cannot afford that to happen
I think he can be a good goal scorer who is an average player otherwise. And on this team, which is heavy on puck movers but lacking in pure goal scorers, that is valuable.

And given all the recent high picks, even if Holtz did bust, it's not that big a deal. But end of the day I think he will be OK.

4 points in 17 games.
Slow
People are getting out of hand with writing off players too early.

I bet Buffalo is happy they didn’t dump Tage Thompson after scoring just 18 goals in 145 games spread over 4 seasons, given that since last year he has 54 goals in 103.

How about Nathan McKinnon? Scored only 73 goals in 300 games in his first 4 years in Colorado. Looks like an NHL player, but obviously not a star.

Reactions: mdh2003 and RU-05
People are getting out of hand with writing off players too early.

I bet Buffalo is happy they didn’t dump Tage Thompson after scoring just 18 goals in 145 games spread over 4 seasons, given that since last year he has 54 goals in 103.

How about Nathan McKinnon? Scored only 73 goals in 300 games in his first 4 years in Colorado. Looks like an NHL player, but obviously not a star.
You’ve gotta flash Krup…somewhat!
Kakko gives us all flashes.
All those guys flashed speed and skills.
Laf has no attributes to flash.
As I said, he’s a good bounce, get your stick in the way once on a while player.
Chytill flashes but like Kreider has low hockey IQ.
I love my man Miller even though he’s struggling, makes plays, but have you ever seen anyone fan and over-skate the puck so much?

Zap-

Man, NYR fans have to absolutely be going nuts right now.

NYR got a complete gift from the Hockey Gods. Not one, but TWO lottery wins. The org FINALLY got their first top 4 pick in over 50 years…then…they got another one! For the past 60 years, NYR has always been the org that never finished last and almost never finishes first. Finally, they get the high picks that they have seen push their rivals to cups.

From a 30k ft view - the way these gifts are being squandered is criminal. He is obviously on a different level, but imagine HUGHES only getting 3rd line minutes are no PP time. Maybe (probably?), like Zap says - they just don’t have IT. So then you lose, take your lumps and restart.

Krup - I honestly haven’t followed that much about what is happening with NYR, other than the whole team is struggling. On just KK and LAF, I know you don’t agree with it, but is there an actual reason or logic on why these 2 guys aren’t stapled to the first line and first PP? Because if the answer is that VESEY is better than them, they might as well trade the whole lot.

It’s both funny and tragic how things work in Rangerland. Always with the drama. First, NYR looked like they were going to try something different. Something not in their DNA. Lose. A lot. When that “letter” came out, it gave their fans hope that they will finally be like those other teams that lose for a few years, get high picks, then win cups. Rinse, Repeat. Not a bad cycle. Case in point, I would be shocked if NJD did not win 1 or 2 cups the next 6 years.

Then, because it’s in their bylaws, NYR immediately throw that out the window and spend max cap on PANARIN. Rebuild over, haha. So long to top 4 picks that typically results in cup glory.

Then, lo and behold…the lottery miracles happen and they actually get TWO of those guys! And, against all their good intentions to do otherwise, NYR are dragged kicking and screaming to finally follow a proven model. And…….it turns out either the studs are duds OR mgt pissed the whole thing down the drain. Yeesh. The Greek Tragedy continues, lol. Instead of 2 work horses to pull them to the top, just more of the same mediocrity. Forever stuck in second gear. Doomed for dullness. Winning and losing just enough to be average. Same as it ever was…

4 points in 17 games.
Slow
Others said it, he’s just too young.

Plus, the fact he can’t stay in the lineup speaks more to how well the team are playing than him. NJD are on an epic roll right now. Just because it doesn‘t include him should not be counted against him.

Regardless, I can see him on the trading block.

Thinking Fitz may also be of like mind considering the big moves he's made in recent years. And NOT trading the likes of Graves and Severson is kind of like making a trade for solid veterans.

I’d give it one year, then I’d start to hack and slash. Learn the hard lessons quickly and then act decisively. Don’t pull a TOR. They should have pulled the plug and rebalanced that team years ago.

You’ve gotta flash Krup…somewhat!
Kakko gives us all flashes.
All those guys flashed speed and skills.
Laf has no attributes to flash.
As I said, he’s a good bounce, get your stick in the way once on a while player.
Chytill flashes but like Kreider has low hockey IQ.
I love my man Miller even though he’s struggling, makes plays, but have you ever seen anyone fan and over-skate the puck so much?
I agree that Lafreniere hasn’t shown any elite skills. On the other hand, he scored 19 even strength goals in his second year in the league, at 19 years old, which is good even strength production.

The odds are that in the end he will be a solid NHL player, but nothing justifying a top ten pick, let alone #1.

Others said it, he’s just too young.

Plus, the fact he can’t stay in the lineup speaks more to how well the team are playing than him. NJD are on an epic roll right now. Just because it doesn‘t include him should not be counted against him.

Regardless, I can see him on the trading block.

Would you deal Holtz + for Brock Boesser ?

Man, NYR fans have to absolutely be going nuts right now.

NYR got a complete gift from the Hockey Gods. Not one, but TWO lottery wins. The org FINALLY got their first top 4 pick in over 50 years…then…they got another one! For the past 60 years, NYR has always been the org that never finished last and almost never finishes first. Finally, they get the high picks that they have seen push their rivals to cups.

From a 30k ft view - the way these gifts are being squandered is criminal. He is obviously on a different level, but imagine HUGHES only getting 3rd line minutes are no PP time. Maybe (probably?), like Zap says - they just don’t have IT. So then you lose, take your lumps and restart.

Krup - I honestly haven’t followed that much about what is happening with NYR, other than the whole team is struggling. On just KK and LAF, I know you don’t agree with it, but is there an actual reason or logic on why these 2 guys aren’t stapled to the first line and first PP? Because if the answer is that VESEY is better than them, they might as well trade the whole lot.

It’s both funny and tragic how things work in Rangerland. Always with the drama. First, NYR looked like they were going to try something different. Something not in their DNA. Lose. A lot. When that “letter” came out, it gave their fans hope that they will finally be like those other teams that lose for a few years, get high picks, then win cups. Rinse, Repeat. Not a bad cycle. Case in point, I would be shocked if NJD did not win 1 or 2 cups the next 6 years.

Then, because it’s in their bylaws, NYR immediately throw that out the window and spend max cap on PANARIN. Rebuild over, haha. So long to top 4 picks that typically results in cup glory.

Then, lo and behold…the lottery miracles happen and they actually get TWO of those guys! And, against all their good intentions to do otherwise, NYR are dragged kicking and screaming to finally follow a proven model. And…….it turns out either the studs are duds OR mgt pissed the whole thing down the drain. Yeesh. The Greek Tragedy continues, lol. Instead of 2 work horses to pull them to the top, just more of the same mediocrity. Forever stuck in second gear. Doomed for dullness. Winning and losing just enough to be average. Same as it ever was…
It’s hard to argue that the Rangers’ young players should be on the first power play unit, because they have a bunch of veteran players who have already proven to excel at that role. The Rangers’ mistake is that they then turn around and give those same veteran players 40-50% more of the even strength ice time, so there is no room for the young players to develop. The young players should be in the top 6.

The Rangers are consistently bad at managing young players. They just sent Zac Jones down to the AHL in favor of Hayek, who ranks 331st out of the 334 defensemen who have played at least 5 NHL games since 2018.

Bottom line, it isn’t a coincidence that the Rangers have won 1 cup in 82 years.

I am dreading the Rangers normal move of overpaying at the deadline in picks and young players for a rental who is not going to be enough to make a significant difference. You would think that maybe they would wonder if trading away their #1 picks for years and years actually wrecked their development process to the point it was incapable of handling the guys they drafted recently.

It’s hard to argue that the Rangers’ young players should be on the first power play unit, because they have a bunch of veteran players who have already proven to excel at that role. The Rangers’ mistake is that they then turn around and give those same veteran players 40-50% more of the even strength ice time, so there is no room for the young players to develop. The young players should be in the top 6.

The Rangers are consistently bad at managing young players. They just sent Zac Jones down to the AHL in favor of Hayek, who ranks 331st out of the 334 defensemen who have played at least 5 NHL games since 2018.

Bottom line, it isn’t a coincidence that the Rangers have won 1 cup in 82 years.

I am dreading the Rangers normal move of overpaying at the deadline in picks and young players for a rental who is not going to be enough to make a significant difference. You would think that maybe they would wonder if trading away their #1 picks for years and years actually wrecked their development process to the point it was incapable of handling the guys they drafted recently.
Good points.

I would push your last one a bit further. Seems to me they are incapable of handling these top end guys they drafted because they have NEVER been capable. One could argue that they haven’t had the opportunity since the dawn of the modern draft, and you would be correct. But that doesn’t matter. Just like the scorpion that could not help but kill the frog, it is not in their nature. We have over a half century of proof here. This is deep, deep, deep in the team’s makeup. It goes beyond owners, beyond GMs, beyond coaches. Other than goalies, almost all of the good NYR picks over the years were the ultimate latch key kids, lol. Forced to fend for themselves and, as much as they could, ultimately come of age and blossom when they leave the house.

None of this is an excuse, I already mentioned what they are doing is stupid and ridiculous. Repeating the same thing and expecting different results, etc., etc. But, I mean, this institution is still humans that can ostensibly, you know…think. So none of this is a pass. Just a sad, inevitable observation.

Good points.

I would push your last one a bit further. Seems to me they are incapable of handling these top end guys they drafted because they have NEVER been capable. One could argue that they haven’t had the opportunity since the dawn of the modern draft, and you would be correct. But that doesn’t matter. Just like the scorpion that could not help but kill the frog, it is not in their nature. We have over a half century of proof here. This is deep, deep, deep in the team’s makeup. It goes beyond owners, beyond GMs, beyond coaches. Other than goalies, almost all of the good NYR picks over the years were the ultimate latch key kids, lol. Forced to fend for themselves and, as much as they could, ultimately come of age and blossom when they leave the house.

None of this is an excuse, I already mentioned what they are doing is stupid and ridiculous. Repeating the same thing and expecting different results, etc., etc. But, I mean, this institution is still humans that can ostensibly, you know…think. So none of this is a pass. Just a sad, inevitable observation.
Yeah, in hindsight the rebuild was progressing beautifully for the first couple of years, and it is easy to point to the specific moves that derailed it, but it was foolish to think the Rangers could have held together and pulled it off for the 3-4 years of additional patience it would have taken to result in a team with an extended window of cup contention.

It’s not what they are. They are a knee jerk organization who sells their soul (and their future) for every chance to make the playoffs and increase their chances of getting a few more lucrative playoff home games, even if it means they decrease their chances of ultimate success. It shouldn’t be a surprise that they suck at developing young players, because that is a part of the game they have never truly valued.

This is the team that in 1994 and 1995 broke up a team that should have had a decade of success and turned it into winning once.

Reactions: mdh2003

Might need to amend my above thoughts. Just looked at the NJD contract situation, yikes. Most of these guys are UFA or RFA. And the way this year is going, they will all get raises. The other issues I didn‘t really think about: not sure how much the cap is going up and NJD have zero cap room. Now, the crazy cap dances that GMs do nowadays, most could overcome these issues, especially for a few players. But we are talking over half the team. So, probably the team you see now will not be the team next year, regardless. As much as it probably is a year or so too early, I can see (most?) GMs looking at this and thinking, what hell, bird in hand, let’s go for it.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Yeah, in hindsight the rebuild was progressing beautifully for the first couple of years, and it is easy to point to the specific moves that derailed it, but it was foolish to think the Rangers could have held together and pulled it off for the 3-4 years of additional patience it would have taken to result in a team with an extended window of cup contention.

It’s not what they are. They are a knee jerk organization who sells their soul (and their future) for every chance to make the playoffs and increase their chances of getting a few more lucrative playoff home games, even if it means they decrease their chances of ultimate success. It shouldn’t be a surprise that they suck at developing young players, because that is a part of the game they have never truly valued.

This is the team that in 1994 and 1995 broke up a team that should have had a decade of success and turned it into winning once.
I am so curious of the pathology of this culture. I know that media conglomerates have owned the Garden and their teams forever. My intuition tells me something is there, re: corp vs. other owning structures, but I’m not smart enough to know if it is a causal thing. Certainly the thinking has lived on, and apparently is thriving, into the quasi sole ownership of the Dolan years. But maybe that fact speaks more about the current owners, and their motivations, than the institution. IOW, birds of a feather…

Wanted to highlight the addendum stepchild of the thread title (sorry PHI, you didn’t even make THAT much).

Like a shark lurking just below the surface, we have NYI hanging around on the play off line. I am telling you, if I’m one the top conf teams, other than TB, I do NOT want to play NYI in my first round. I’m betting you will lose. And if not, I’m betting you will be bloodied. NJD, if you want a real playoff barometer, this is it. Beginning of the year, I thought this might be another epic NYR/NYI showdown. But maybe NJD/NYI would better. Other than the NJD miracle 88 run, I don’t think they have ever met. We need more ”good” local bad blood here. Could be a hoot.

Above my pay grade, but if BOESER or any other player, add a dimension that would complement the team ala MCKAY/HOLIK/LEMIEUX, abso-friggen-lutely.
No. They don’t have the salary cap space for that. Ultimately if they bring in another high salary contract it spells the end of Bratt on the roster after this year

Reactions: TM94goRU
Might need to amend my above thoughts. Just looked at the NJD contract situation, yikes. Most of these guys are UFA or RFA. And the way this year is going, they will all get raises. The other issues I didn‘t really think about: not sure how much the cap is going up and NJD have zero cap room. Now, the crazy cap dances that GMs do nowadays, most could overcome these issues, especially for a few players. But we are talking over half the team. So, probably the team you see now will not be the team next year, regardless. As much as it probably is a year or so too early, I can see (most?) GMs looking at this and thinking, what hell, bird in hand, let’s go for it.
They have Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec in the wings to replace Severson and Graves at entry level contracts. If they pan out, that 7-8 mil saved will go a long way.

Reactions: RU-05
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT