ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022-23 NHL thread….Devils & Rangers & Islanders

So, after the first few local games, no real shockers.

NYR - will be in the mix all year for first.
NYI - same old story…great D, great G, no O.
NJD - growing pains…they have the talent, now they need the will.
PHI - Torts is going to squeeze this team and literally will the WILL into these guys, lol...but that probably won’t be enough.

If PHI can keep up the effort, we might get to see some real competitive games between all these teams. First time in a long time, here’s hoping for it. Would love for all these 4 to be in the playoffs at the same time. Pretty sure that has never happened. Talk about fireworks, lol.

If you look at the number of teams in the league since expansion and the probability of making the finals/winning the Cup, the Rangers have won 1 less Cup than they should have since 1970.

Given the times they have made the semis and finals, that is nowhere near a “brutal run”.

The teams on a brutal run are the teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Winnipeg, etc. that haven’t won Cups or even come close.
All context is lost in this sort of stuff, such is the weird inconsistent fan logic.

Anyone who knows anything about hockey history can tell you that the 2 Canadian teams won almost all the cups in the 40s, 50s, 60s. If it wasn’t for HOWE in DET, they would would have won them all. It was about an unequal setup as you can get - the best teams got all the best talent and it showed in the results. Sound familiar RU football fans?

Reactions: miker183
I've said it before - Devils had an incredible run in 90s-00s, but for whatever reason, the fan base has an inferiority complex. They take more pleasure in Ranger challenges than they do in Devils success.
That's 100% bullshit, what you just described is exactly the one Rangers fan in here where his inferiority complex towards the Devils is rampant. A majority of his posts are to belittle the Devils. He's the one who constantly trolls this thread, you post reeks of irony.

Devils were on ESPN+
Regardless of the streaming stuff, can I just say that I find the whole - every local team in NYC DMA on MSG thing kinda….weird?

I get that the $ probably drove this - MSG needs content and they probably paid NJD and NYI the most. And I guess I get why those teams can’t have their own “real” network - but about 3000 YouTube influencers may have something to say about that. And it is kinda nice to have a one stop shop. But it just doesn’t sit right.

Can you imagine all NYY games on NESN? Or the Best Of Bosox or Mets games on YES? It just doesn’t jive with my GenX sensibilities, lol. Am I alone in that?

PHI - Torts is going to squeeze this team and literally will the WILL into these guys, lol...but that probably won’t be enough.

If PHI can keep up the effort, we might get to see some real competitive games between all these teams. First time in a long time, here’s hoping for it. Would love for all these 4 to be in the playoffs at the same time. Pretty sure that has never happened. Talk about fireworks, lol.
The Devils did nothing wrong by hiring Ruff as coach a few years ago. He is a good offensive coach and since the Devils’ best prospects were forwards it helped with their development.

Where they screwed up is in keeping him for this year. Looking at the timing of their rebuild they needed to replace him with a coach with a strong defensive system (they have enough good players on offense to score no matter the system).

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Regardless of the streaming stuff, can I just say that I find the whole - every local team in NYC DMA on MSG thing kinda….weird?

I get that the $ probably drove this - MSG needs content and they probably paid NJD and NYI the most. And I guess I get why those teams can’t have their own “real” network - but about 3000 YouTube influencers may have something to say about that. And it is kinda nice to have a one stop shop. But it just doesn’t sit right.

Can you imagine all NYY games on NESN? Or the Best Of Bosox or Mets games on YES? It just doesn’t jive with my GenX sensibilities, lol. Am I alone in that?
Yes Network would rather show Yankee reruns from the 90s then pay the Devils. Bad split between the two years ago.
But I have no clue what you are saying about 3000 YouTube influencers has to do with NHL TV coverage. Most teams in all major sports do not have their own TV networks. Fox and Comcast dominate the regional sports market. YES is the outlier.

Yes Network would rather show Yankee reruns from the 90s then pay the Devils. Bad split between the two years ago.
But I have no clue what you are saying about 3000 YouTube influencers has to do with NHL TV coverage. Most teams in all major sports do not have their own TV networks. Fox and Comcast dominate the regional sports market. YES is the outlier.

Talk about low hanging fruit. YES does that because the rerun's ratings are higher.

Just kidding. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
Possible proof I am right about a ownership problem. In a game without Nico, down most of the night on the road, Jasper Bratt got only 15 minutes and 57 seconds of ice time. The 9th lowest on the team.

Now if this was a coach's decision, Lindy Ruff I believe would have owned it and played it off. Instead the veteran HC abruptly ended the post game press conference.

The Devils did nothing wrong by hiring Ruff as coach a few years ago. He is a good offensive coach and since the Devils’ best prospects were forwards it helped with their development.

Where they screwed up is in keeping him for this year. Looking at the timing of their rebuild they needed to replace him with a coach with a strong defensive system (they have enough good players on offense to score no matter the system).
Krup, just wanted to give you props. You really do know your stuff and almost always come up with some really good takes that make me just a wee bit angry at myself for not thinking of it, lol. So refreshing and elevating from the ”your team sucks” that we sometimes get from fans of other teams. As a hockey fan, I really appreciate it. And as a coach (okay it’s k-2 flag football, haha), I believe in positive reinforcement…so…Good Job!!

Reactions: TM94goRU
Bring back the Quebec Nordiques! If Winnipeg can be brought back so should the Nordique!
Just relocate Arizona!

Krup, just wanted to give you props. You really do know your stuff and almost always come up with some really good takes that make me just a wee bit angry at myself for not thinking of it, lol. So refreshing and elevating from the ”your team sucks” that we sometimes get from fans of other teams. As a hockey fan, I really appreciate it. And as a coach (okay it’s k-2 flag football, haha), I believe in positive reinforcement…so…Good Job!!
Thanks. The Rangers are my biggest rooting interest in sports along with Rutgers football, but I enjoy hockey in general.

Even on teams I dislike (and there are several teams ahead of the Devils on that list) I can usually find a few players whose game I can appreciate.

Last edited:
You of all people should understand.

it’s fandom. Devils fans are gonna get on ranger fans for winning 1 cup after 1940. The way rivalry fandom is. C’mon dude
The problem is that the “1940” chant was well used (and very effective) pre94 as a dig at Rangers fans that they hadn’t won anything since 1940.

To recycle it as meaning they have only won once since 1940 is kind of weak. It has been long enough since they won that updating the year would work, but unfortunately “Nineteen ninety four” just doesn’t roll off the tongue like the last one.

Ownership problem! Do what you should have done after last season, fire Lindy Ruff and the goalie coach! Give Fitz to the end of this season to figure it out. In my opinion, he can go too.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Goaltending sucks, but cover the front of the net defensively.

Sadly ownership does not care about the NJD winning. They want to feel good off the ice, and buy more teams for their sports Empire. The worst type of owner's. At least Vanderbeek wanted the team to win!

Tony DeAngelo is in the race for the Norris after two games as he’s on pace to be a plus 164 this season. I had no idea he was the next Paul Coffee…

Especially after watching Brodeur for years
True but these goalies that the Devils currently have and have had for the past few years make Chris Terreri seem like a hall of famer - with no disrespect to Terreri.

How toxic is Fitzgerald going to let this get? 2 games in and the fanbase is apoplectic. Booed off the ice in your home opener. He’s really made a mess of things. Ruff was an awful hire from the start, but bringing him back this year, especially with his replacement standing 3 feet from him every night, is just a joke. Sharangovich and Holtz get 7 mins of ice time each last night? What are we doing here? The line combinations are beyond mind-boggling. It’s unprecedented, but Ruff needs to go now. If he lets get another season go down the toilet by Thanksgiving, then Fitz can go too.

Tony D makes any team better imo
He’s playing with Provorov which means they have at least one pairing that offers excellent possession numbers. Their second pair has been OK too. If they can figure out a better third pairing (Risto should be returning soon) and add in a returning Atkinson and Couturier, they may hang around in the standings. The young guys in the lineup are definitely playing with energy, which is a good sign. Problem is, if Hart starts playing mediocre in goal, they are capable of going on a long losing streak.

How toxic is Fitzgerald going to let this get? 2 games in and the fanbase is apoplectic. Booed off the ice in your home opener. He’s really made a mess of things. Ruff was an awful hire from the start, but bringing him back this year, especially with his replacement standing 3 feet from him every night, is just a joke. Sharangovich and Holtz get 7 mins of ice time each last night? What are we doing here? The line combinations are beyond mind-boggling. It’s unprecedented, but Ruff needs to go now. If he lets get another season go down the toilet by Thanksgiving, then Fitz can go too.
When 2/3rds of your top 6 is 175lbs or less, it’s a problem. BERTUZZI would be an excellent UFA signing next year.

Bread already has 7 assists in 10 periods of hockey, I don't see 100 this season being out of reach for him. Only three players in history had 100 assist seasons - Gretzky (12x), Orr (1x) and Lemieux (1x). Pretty good company.

Rangers power play is in mid season form. You can’t take penalties against this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT