ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big winter storm next weekend (01/22-01/24)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this should be a separate thread, but I thought this might spice up the discussion about whether snowstorms are "good" or "bad." The bad impacts of snow-induced accidents, stranded motorists, power outages, possible coastal flooding, lost business, etc., are fairly obvious. But the good impacts are probably less obvious: increased business for some, less fatal car accidents vs. dry conditions (far less people on the road and they're traveling more slowly), and probably most importantly, greatly reduced crime.

The linked article makes a compelling case for snowstorms and extreme cold greatly reducing crime, as observed in Boston last winter, in particular.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/does-cold-stop-crime-it-seems-so-n309856

Also, this study showed that snow days had fewer fatal crashes than dry days, but more nonfatal-injury crashes and property-damage-only crashes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1449863/

Would be interesting ito know if anyone has ever done an analysis of the overall societal impact of snowstorms to see if it's net good or bad. My guess is probably still more bad than good, but that it's probably much closer than most people might think and for one variable at least, snowstorms are far better: fatalities. Fatalities decrease from both less crime and less fatal car accidents. So, in a sense, all of you wishing for warm, dry weather are wishing for death for your fellow man. :>)

heavy snow now here in Belle Mead...heaviest of the storm....I say about 11 inches at least

looks like many us will peak out in this storm between 10-2.....after 3 or 4 its going to be more of a case of banding for the heavier amounts

Holy crap, NWS just upped snowfall totals substantially, as per the map. 24-30" for folks from about Hazlet to New Hope and north of that line to a line from maybe far northern Morris County to central Warren County.

StormTotalSnowWeb.png

Reactions: SufficientlyScarlet
lol please...snowstorms are good because there is less crime...that's absurd reasoning. Why not just have martial law all year round too

and a few days of 90s doesn't have the same negative impact as a snowstorm of 1-2 feet despite what many want to say. Not talking about heat killing people in third world countries here so don't come up with stats about heat killing more people than cold.

Reactions: Kbee3 and MikeR0102
It's Armageddon here in Howell just got in easily 18" already, tough to tell with larger snow drifts. I must be in the snow f*ck zone because this sucks. Just got done shoveling some paths for dogs and farm animals wind is crazy, rest will have to wait till tomorrow. Then I'll fire up the John Deere front loader.:)

Last edited:
Gotta be at least a foot on my driveway in New Providence. About to go out there for the first cleanup session in a few.

lol please...snowstorms are good because there is less crime...that's absurd reasoning. Why not just have martial law all year round too

and a few days of 90s doesn't have the same negative impact as a snowstorm of 1-2 feet despite what many want to say. Not talking about heat killing people in third world countries here so don't come up with stats about heat killing more people than cold.
Actually I think you may be wrong here. My cousin works for the city of New York and does public health research and data analytics. She is currently researching the impact of rising temps on mortality rates in the city. Many more people die on hot days.

Reactions: IL Lusciato

Actually heat waves kill more people in the U.S., too. Think of elderly people without air conditioning. But let's stick to talking about the weather. I haven't been outside, but I can tell you there's a lot of snow out there. Winds do not seem so bad, but then again Cherry Hill is inland; I hate to think what might be happening at the shore.

OMG, heaviest snow of the storm right now - and close to the heaviest I've ever seen. 100-yard visibility. Haven't measured since the 9.5" at 8:30 am, but would guess we've added at least 3-4" since then. Time to head back out..

Reactions: TM514
Actually I think you may be wrong here. My cousin works for the city of New York and does public health research and data analytics. She is currently researching the impact of rising temps on mortality rates in the city. Many more people die on hot days.

what I am saying is that a 1-2 foot snowstorm has a greater impact on people than a 3 day heatwave...those people who die in the heat are dying from their underlying conditions being exacerbated or they don't have air conditioning. More people live without air conditioning but heat is a requirement in apartments...big difference there Snowstorms effect everyone, they don't kill a lot because everybody is inside. The economic impact is far greater if you are taking a 3 day period of each.

it could be 95 degrees and you and I and everyone else can go to work and go on with their lives..cant do that today can you or tomorrow..thats my point

Reactions: Kbee3
Wind in Cedar Grove seems to have tapered off a bit so will now make a first pass with Snow Blower and shovel steps. Not looking forward to this, lol

When will Upton update their map? Wondering if that 24-30" zone will continue up into western Bergen.. yesterday it sounded like we'd be lucky to get 6"!

most places in Central Jersey have passed a foot. Woodbridge is the highest reported amount at 16

radar currently shows the heaviest snow anyway has seen currently crushing Somerset, Middlesex and Union Counties

nice. Swing by and plow me out. Markwood Dr off maxim-southard.
Your right in the screwed snow zone along with me and all Howell residents. Everyone posting about 8" to 9" by 9am we had 18", don't believe the weather reports I was out this morning. Most spots 18" with snowdrifts over 2". This sucks. Going to be a lot of work tomorrow morning just what I wanted to do on a Sunday morning.:mad:

Looking out the windows, I estimate 13" in Somerset with some drifts about 2.5 feet near the house, and it is still pouring snow. I don't think there is a single sheltered spot that indicates the actual depth. The wind has made shallow areas and very deep areas.

Last edited:
Maybe this should be a separate thread, but I thought this might spice up the discussion about whether snowstorms are "good" or "bad." The bad impacts of snow-induced accidents, stranded motorists, power outages, possible coastal flooding, lost business, etc., are fairly obvious. But the good impacts are probably less obvious: increased business for some, less fatal car accidents vs. dry conditions (far less people on the road and they're traveling more slowly), and probably most importantly, greatly reduced crime.

The linked article makes a compelling case for snowstorms and extreme cold greatly reducing crime, as observed in Boston last winter, in particular.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/does-cold-stop-crime-it-seems-so-n309856

Also, this study showed that snow days had fewer fatal crashes than dry days, but more nonfatal-injury crashes and property-damage-only crashes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1449863/

Would be interesting ito know if anyone has ever done an analysis of the overall societal impact of snowstorms to see if it's net good or bad. My guess is probably still more bad than good, but that it's probably much closer than most people might think and for one variable at least, snowstorms are far better: fatalities. Fatalities decrease from both less crime and less fatal car accidents. So, in a sense, all of you wishing for warm, dry weather are wishing for death for your fellow man. :>)

I love ya, RU848789. But on this one you're really friggin out there. Don't you have a friend or relative that slipped and fell and broke their arse due to the snow and ice ? Don't you know somebody who lost a loved one from shoveling that white crap ? These things happen a lot. Perhaps you have a nice easy commute or maybe ski to work. But for those who have to brave New Jersey's highways in this crap, no statistics vis-à-vis deaths are necessary. Just about everybody that I've ever talked to didn't need to see any statistics about the death rate during a major snowstorm. They've experienced the horror of trying to make it home from work in one of these storms without getting clipped by a crazy tractor trailer or SUV driver.. Or getting stuck and not getting home at all..
I've got a suggestion for you. The next time we get one of these storms, get in your vehicle and head up rte. 280 from about Newark or the Oranges . When you get to exit 4a, get off and turn around and come back down. And, of course, be sure to wave to the tractor trailer drivers. Good times.
Listen, those days are over for me. I'm retired. I'm not going anywhere. But that doesn't mean I don't feel for all those poor souls that had to get home from work this morning and experienced the sheer terror of the ride. And I don't think they'd be interested in your stats about the death rate very much. But then I've always been sympathetic to that kind of suffering. I thought you were too.
Enjoy your snowball fight.

Reactions: wonchobody
@bac2therac @RU848789

So we're looking at this stopping/slowing around 8pm? I'm trying to figure out the Olive Branch schedule for the day! This is important stuff! Obviously the students at Rutgers need to drink....

Reactions: TRU2RU
Holy crap, NWS just upped snowfall totals substantially, as per the map. 24-30" for folks from about Hazlet to New Hope and north of that line to a line from maybe far northern Morris County to central Warren County.

StormTotalSnowWeb.png
NWS NYC updated, eliminating discontinuities. NYC at 24-30", which could break the all-time record of 26.9".

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Personally, I enjoy the snow and snow storms. Yes the aftermath sucks but that's true with really anything fun in life. People should loosen up lol. I don't like to see coastal flooding. That is the one issue that most troubles me. But that occurs also with hurricanes and rains etc.

Heat waves increase crime and deaths. If you don't think so you don't live in a city. Which is fine. Anyway, the way snow can bring the world to a pause is intriguing and nice to me. I also live NJ and the north and would never permantly move, so I do like snow. Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT