ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big winter storm next weekend (01/22-01/24)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still hasnt done anything other than flurry since 9am in camden county. Not that im complaining or anything

Just came in from the 2nd Snow blow pass of the day, did first around 10. It's tough out there. I regret not spending the money for a Self Propelled Snow Blower, the auger doesn't provide enough pull, man I'm tired, lol.

Update from Summit: 2 trees down on street, we are using yardsticks
to measure and it is somewhere between 20 and 25 inches, and now
has moved over to more of the big heavy flakes.
Winds not as strong as earlier.

Any idea when this will be over? At the half way point yet?
Be safe everyone.

Sorry , this is inaccurate (depending on what value is meant up top). Jeep Wrangler holds tremendous residual value. Maybe a patriot or Liberty but no way on a wrangler.
Don't shoot the messenger. CR rated the Wrangler worst value. JD power rated the brand as less reliable than Kia.

Just finished my 2nd pass in New Providence. Easily 24"+ and by the time I finish clearing, there's another inch or two on the ground.

MILFs in Hillsboroguh are going to be very happy and exhausted. Every few hours they get another 6-8"

To RU#'s point, though, if the overall number of deaths went down due to other factors, would there be net fewer deaths overall, even with the 6 caused directly or indirectly by the weather itself? It's an interesting question. I'd be curious to know what an actuary might think about frequency of various types of weather events and impact on mortality.

I don't think there's any question about financial cost of extreme weather events like blizzards or snow storms, but the mortality angle is an interesting one.

To RU#'s point, though, if the overall number of deaths went down due to other factors, would there be net fewer deaths overall, even with the 6 caused directly or indirectly by the weather itself? It's an interesting question. I'd be curious to know what an actuary might think about frequency of various types of weather events and impact on mortality.

I don't think there's any question about financial cost of extreme weather events like blizzards or snow storms, but the mortality angle is an interesting one.

THere is a financial cost no doubt but at the same time there are many people who make lots of $$ off a storm like this.

I thought I just read that the death toll is up to 12 from this storm.

christmas-carol-07.jpg

Winds have just picked up in last 10 minutes to the strongest of the storm.
Two more trees down on the street. All fireplaces are on, but about
to prep the generator just in case.
Safe night all.

I gather from neighbors that the shore flooding will be worse than Sandy
TONIGHT AT 11 PM.

Was at least 15" when dug out the first time about 2 hours ago in New Providence. Still snowing quite heavily. Plows are out on the main road near me, but haven't yet gotten to our side street.

What street? I'm union Ave near the tracks

Anyone hear of power outage?

My son called me from D.C. to check since he heard it reported.

The governor said all is well and there aren't any flooding issues. All those people on Ocean and Cape May counties must be a bunch of lyin' bastiges. And fargin iceholes.

Reactions: RUgrad75
Anyone hear of power outage?

My son called me from D.C. to check since he heard it reported.

There are numerous power outages, currently, in coastal Monmouth. Parts of LB, parts of Sea Bright. All of the Hook, not that it matters. Outages also reported in Neptune and Manasquan. Probably more out there.

Goldberg and Smith said that the heavy pivoting bands will weaken by around 7 or so and lighter snows until midnight

We just got that one heavy band rotating through. I think Northern Somerset and Morris County seem to be the sweet spot for this storm with amounts of 24 inches being reported.

I think in Belle Mead we have anywhere from 17-19 inches...just missing out on the heaviest of bands

just heard about 3 people dying from heart attacks from shoveling snow in the nyc area..and there will be more...and there will be those who don't die but rushed to the hospital

Goldberg and Smith said that the heavy pivoting bands will weaken by around 7 or so and lighter snows until midnight

We just got that one heavy band rotating through. I think Northern Somerset and Morris County seem to be the sweet spot for this storm with amounts of 24 inches being reported.

I think in Belle Mead we have anywhere from 17-19 inches...just missing out on the heaviest of bands

just heard about 3 people dying from heart attacks from shoveling snow in the nyc area..and there will be more...and there will be those who don't die but rushed to the hospital
We seem to have ~30" in Bridgewater already, maybe more, & drifts over 36"

THere is a financial cost no doubt but at the same time there are many people who make lots of $$ off a storm like this.

Some do, but the overall net cost is way higher. There may be short term booms in sales of things like bread/milk/shovels/salt and short term work for snow removal/etc, but the wider negative impact is much greater once you get above a certain number of inches. Think of the lost revenue for an airport that has to shut down for two days, or the costs to rebuild after a storm surge on the shore, or the lost work hours when the infrastructure locks up and people can't get to their jobs. While some people do benefit financially from a big snow storm, the costs overall far outweigh those small benefits.

I am curious about the mortality argument, though. How many fewer deaths are we talking about during a storm (or immediately following it)? Crime and motor vehicle causes of death may be lower due to people being hunkered down in their homes instead of on the streets, but how does that stack up against exposure/exertion/suicide/accident death rates during the same period? Would be interesting to see the numbers broken out.

Reactions: redking
How about the people that light their stove for heat and die? Fires from faulty heat units? I never hear in the summer about deaths from faulty AC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT