ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big winter storm next weekend (01/22-01/24)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, after a quick nap and 4th round of shoveling, as of 1:00 pm we have 14.5" give or take an inch or so. That would "only" be an average of an inch per hour since my last measurement of 9.5" at 8:30 am. Having watched the radar pretty closely, we just haven't been under those 30+ dBZ bands for prolonged periods (just for spurts), so we haven't had 2" per hour snows for the most part. Still thinking we make it to 20-22" if we can just sustain 1" per hour rates for 6-7 more hours. Have some 3-4 foot drifts and bare spots. Somebody in Somerset/Morris/Union Counties is going to hit 30", as that Godzilla band has been amazing for the last few hours.

Got very frustrated with the huge variance in measurements on my property, which usually is pretty good during snowstorms, but not this one - too much wind and the snow is too dry. So, did another shovel (#5, lol) and my son and I took a short ride to the local school, which has a huge open field for sports. Walked out about 50 yards into it and took some measurements and they were very consistent, between 18 and 19", so I called it 18.5" as of 5:00 pm.

Had a good snowball fight and wrestling match (kid's stronger than me now, so had to be careful lol). Rode around town a bit and the main roads are passable, but often only have one main lane. Hailey's is open so I may have to take a walk downtown later for a beer.

Snow really picked up here since about 4 pm, as the mega band finally hit us for awhile, but we're 4-7" behind folks in NYC, Union, Essex, Morris, Somerset, etc., as reports of 22-25" in those locations are common, as they were under that band for far longer. With maybe 4-5 more hours of 1" per hour snow, should at least hit 22" here and I could see many places in NNJ/CNJ hitting 25-30" and maybe a little more.

Central Park is at 19.3" at 4 pm, so they should easily make it into 3rd place, all-time (22") and first place is possible (26.9" in Feb 2006). That would be amazing given that everyone was wondering if NYC would make it to 8" 2 days ago. 21.4" in Newark, 21" in Elizabeth and 20" in LGA and reports of 30" in Morris County. NAM crushed it.

So all the pictures my friends in Ocean City are posting on Facebook are doctored?

12507599_10206349242664031_2588104923220773262_n.jpg

l_screenshot-2016-01-23-10-46-03.png

12439557_10156540215905094_4193817942473233828_n.jpg

Um no, they are not doctored. I said we haven't gotten any snow since this morning, I didn't say we aren't flooded.

We seem to have ~30" in Bridgewater already, maybe more, & drifts over 36"[/QUOT

not sure I have seen any official amounts yet giving you that much but you have two feet for sure. We were there earlier today and it was nasty..so many stupid people stuck in cars

Some do, but the overall net cost is way higher. There may be short term booms in sales of things like bread/milk/shovels/salt and short term work for snow removal/etc, but the wider negative impact is much greater once you get above a certain number of inches. Think of the lost revenue for an airport that has to shut down for two days, or the costs to rebuild after a storm surge on the shore, or the lost work hours when the infrastructure locks up and people can't get to their jobs. While some people do benefit financially from a big snow storm, the costs overall far outweigh those small benefits.

Not even remotely correct. Storms of this magnitude are like hurricanes in the South. Huge fiscal and local financially beneficial

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontev...od-for-the-economy-goldman-says/#28d2d2e1bb30

Or for those more interested in hard #'s and/or think GS is biased, here is a detailed GOVT PDF:

http://www.esa.doc.gov/reports/economic-impact-hurricane-sandy.

Monmouth County getting hit hard up to 2 ft. In all areas of property in Freehold and add another foot and a half for snow plow buildup at end of driveway. Snow days for days

I'm in SE Somerset right near NB, how much did we get? I went out several times, some spots have 14 inches, some spots have 25, anybody got official totals? Snowing crazy hard right now

Where are the towns going to put all of the plowed snow?In crowded Hudson County,there are very few open places.Barring a 10 day stretch in the 50's,the snow will be around until St.Patrick's Day.

I'm in SE Somerset right near NB, how much did we get? I went out several times, some spots have 14 inches, some spots have 25, anybody got official totals? Snowing crazy hard right now

haha you started the thread but hardly posted after if you posted once..lol

nothing official but this area has generally been about 18-22 so far with a few more maybe to come

Not sure what the official measurement is in Cranford but it seemed like quite a bit. I have done two extended shoveling sessions and should do another this evening although I really don't feel like it. I even had help from a neighbor with a plow at one point. First time I really thought it would be nice to have a snow blower. Must be getting old!

Not even remotely correct. Storms of this magnitude are like hurricanes in the South. Huge fiscal and local financially beneficial

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontev...od-for-the-economy-goldman-says/#28d2d2e1bb30

Or for those more interested in hard #'s and/or think GS is biased, here is a detailed GOVT PDF:

http://www.esa.doc.gov/reports/economic-impact-hurricane-sandy.

That Forbes article is looking at a macro level, for one, but it also is only looking at specific indicators (GDP, retail spending, construction, and industrial production).

While a storm may have an overall net positive on the economy, it can still have a negative financial impact individually. While construction and retail spending may be up after a storm due to people rebuilding/replacing (great for retail stores and construction workers), it has a negative impact on the individuals who have to pay for that rebuilding/replacing. At an economic level, that money got injected into the economy (good), but at a personal financial level it was removed from savings, added to debt, or will contribute to increased insurance premiums (bad). A storm that causes $50B in damages forces that money to be injected into the economy to get people back to even - whether it is from insurance, federal relief, or their own pockets. While it's a positive for the industries that benefit from a rebuilding effort, it's a negative for those who need to rebuild.

Approximately 62% of Americans have less than $1000 in savings. The cost to these people is far greater than any macro bump to the economy their suffering might contribute to. Taking on credit card debt to buy a generator is good for Home Depot and good for the credit card company collecting interest, but not good for the person who went into debt to keep their lights on and now has to pay interest month to month.

Some do, but the overall net cost is way higher. There may be short term booms in sales of things like bread/milk/shovels/salt and short term work for snow removal/etc, but the wider negative impact is much greater once you get above a certain number of inches. Think of the lost revenue for an airport that has to shut down for two days, or the costs to rebuild after a storm surge on the shore, or the lost work hours when the infrastructure locks up and people can't get to their jobs. While some people do benefit financially from a big snow storm, the costs overall far outweigh those small benefits.

Thank you, Capt. Obvious.
They know all of that. They're just trying to create a half-ass argument for their childish cheerleading for a snowstorm....one that will obviously harm many people.

Where are the towns going to put all of the plowed snow?In crowded Hudson County,there are very few open places.Barring a 10 day stretch in the 50's,the snow will be around until St.Patrick's Day.

Flamethrowers might help.....

Seems like 20-22" here in Lambertville, but it might as well be 4 feet. I generally like a good snowstorm, but this is too much.

Frost Lane/Murray Hill Farms. My back yard is on Union Ave., so I'm just up the hill from you.

If your house backs to Union Ave we live about 75 yards apart. I'm on Possum Way. jerzee devil, you and I are neighbors!

Goldberg and Smith said that the heavy pivoting bands will weaken by around 7 or so and lighter snows until midnight

We just got that one heavy band rotating through. I think Northern Somerset and Morris County seem to be the sweet spot for this storm with amounts of 24 inches being reported.

I think in Belle Mead we have anywhere from 17-19 inches...just missing out on the heaviest of bands

just heard about 3 people dying from heart attacks from shoveling snow in the nyc area..and there will be more...and there will be those who don't die but rushed to the hospital
The death reporting thing with you is that yer pet peeve with snow storms?

haha you started the thread but hardly posted after if you posted once..lol

nothing official but this area has generally been about 18-22 so far with a few more maybe to come
Thought you would've gotten more, based on the radar, but maybe you weren't quite under that mega band either. We had 18.5" at 5 pm and based on really good radar returns since then, I would think we're at 21" by now and might make it to 23". Biggest reports I've heard were in Morris County and Union County (30"+), but none of these are on NWS yet. Most on the NWS ;page is 27" at Clinton.

Kennedy just hit 27.1", which might mean Central Park has reached their record (19.3" at 4 pm) of 26.9" or close to it.

Thought you would've gotten more, based on the radar, but maybe you weren't quite under that mega band either. We had 18.5" at 5 pm and based on really good radar returns since then, I would think we're at 21" by now and might make it to 23". Biggest reports I've heard were in Morris County and Union County (30"+), but none of these are on NWS yet. Most on the NWS ;page is 27" at Clinton.

Kennedy just hit 27.1", which might mean Central Park has reached their record (19.3" at 4 pm) of 26.9" or close to it.

Central Park just reported 25.1" and with another 3-4" likely, is poised to break its all-time record. Simply amazing for a storm that looked like an 8-12" event 2 days ago.

Lots of misleading reports on the coastal flooding. Yes, it's record flooding in places like Cape May and Lewes, DE and pretty bad from AC southward and it's correct to say that the flooding in these places is "worse than it was for Sandy."

What's misleading though, is that the flooding from Sandy wasn't that great for anywhere south of LBI because its track striking AC, while moving NW, meant that AC on southward were always on the weak side of the storm's circulation and the winds were not coming from off the ocean, so there wasn't hours of "fetch" driving storm surge in those locations.

Sure the flooding is tragic for people who are seeing significant damage, but this flooding is nothing like the flooding seen for Sandy from LBI to Seaside, to AP to the Raritan Bay to NYC to LI, where flooding records were shattered by 3-5 feet and homes were swept into the sea and many lives lost (vs. record flooding today that is barely worse than the previous record).

The NAM had it.

Yeah, it's made some major mistakes in the past and busted bad, but it had this one. And it's a commentary on the whole science that you had all these mets (allegedly) on the AMWx board saying "there's no way the NAM can be right, there's no support for it, the dynamics are wrong, there's no way."

Way.

Fluid dynamics is a tough thing.

I so the radar earlier this afternoon, northern somerset getting raked but southern not as bad..and while we were out doing our business it seemed like way more in Bridgewater than say Belle Mead so I think 15 miles was a difference between 4-5 inches

Reactions: ANewRU and RU848789
3 deaths in NY due to shoveling
My biggest fear, as I love to shovel, but I'm only in decent shape, not top shape - and sometimes it doesn't matter, if you have serious heart problems. That's why I do take breaks. I certainly don't want to go yet, but if I make it to 85 or 90 and I'm still shoveling and I go while shoveling out in a gorgeous snowfall, that probably wouldn't be the worst way to go, for me...

Over 30 inches here in Deans/South Brunswick as of 7:30. Amazing!!

Is it possible that was a small drift? I only ask because nobody else in that area is reporting over 24" and radar returns wouldn't have indicated SB got that much. And it's also way too easy to mis-measure in this storm, with so much variance in most people's yards. It's why I finally gave up and went to the local middle school football field to ensure I could get an accurate set of measurements unaffected by the wind or structures.

Reactions: Doteman
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT