ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big winter storm next weekend (01/22-01/24)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like these threads . Numbers , wasn't it your son that was a local hero and thwarted a home burglary years ago ? Did that occur in the winter ?

Amy looking pretty fine with our crew at Station 43 in Sea Bright back in October
12143073_962109433831992_3536015279881348832_n.jpg
She's the one in the red hat? I like Amy Freeze.

Personally, I enjoy the snow and snow storms. Yes the aftermath sucks but that's true with really anything fun in life. People should loosen up lol. I don't like to see coastal flooding. That is the one issue that most troubles me. But that occurs also with hurricanes and rains etc.

Heat waves increase crime and deaths. If you don't think so you don't live in a city. Which is fine. Anyway, the way snow can bring the world to a pause is intriguing and nice to me. I also live NJ and the north and would never permantly move, so I do like snow. Just my .02
I like the snow also. I like it a lot more since I purchased a snow blower which is now 20 years old.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Not much happening in camden county for the past hour or 2. Are we in a dry slot? Just went out to shovel, hard to gauge how much we've gotten due to drifts, but if i had to guess I'd say 13-15

He went to U of Delaware, still don't like it. He also went to Seton Hall. I know people think it's a silly things to worry about, but your the Governor of NJ. If he isn't going to represent then who will. Such a Jersey move. We eat our own. Where your frigin Seton Hall big and tall jacket.

In Wayne. The snow started between midnight and 1.

Don't forget to pack away your underoos for the next time! And make sure you have a GPS with you in the Wrangler to aid emergency rescue in finding you.

Hate to break it to you Spanks, I was out for two hours in my Jeep and had a blast.
Sorry your Kia can't handle the snow.

Hate to break it to you Spanks, I was out for two hours in my Jeep and had a blast.
Don't have a Kia, but my Saturn with studded snows and weighted properly handles the snow just fine.

Go take a look on the RT for the thread started by larissa03.

Maybe this should be a separate thread, but I thought this might spice up the discussion about whether snowstorms are "good" or "bad." The bad impacts of snow-induced accidents, stranded motorists, power outages, possible coastal flooding, lost business, etc., are fairly obvious. But the good impacts are probably less obvious: increased business for some, less fatal car accidents vs. dry conditions (far less people on the road and they're traveling more slowly), and probably most importantly, greatly reduced crime.

The linked article makes a compelling case for snowstorms and extreme cold greatly reducing crime, as observed in Boston last winter, in particular.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/does-cold-stop-crime-it-seems-so-n309856

Also, this study showed that snow days had fewer fatal crashes than dry days, but more nonfatal-injury crashes and property-damage-only crashes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1449863/

Would be interesting ito know if anyone has ever done an analysis of the overall societal impact of snowstorms to see if it's net good or bad. My guess is probably still more bad than good, but that it's probably much closer than most people might think and for one variable at least, snowstorms are far better: fatalities. Fatalities decrease from both less crime and less fatal car accidents. So, in a sense, all of you wishing for warm, dry weather are wishing for death for your fellow man. :>)

Really?? Not the time, man. Nearly crashed 4 times today. I have no choice but to be out there today. The positives? Really?! Not even worth a discussion when those positives are clearly in the minority compared to the negatives.

Kia actually finished ahead of Jeep in reliability. Jeep was also listed worst car value. But it is better in the snow.

Kia actually finished ahead of Jeep in reliability. Jeep was also listed worst car value. But it is better in the snow.

Sorry , this is inaccurate (depending on what value is meant up top). Jeep Wrangler holds tremendous residual value. Maybe a patriot or Liberty but no way on a wrangler.

I have to say I am a little disappointed I am missing out on this epic storm. We haven't had much more than rain since last night. Maybe 4 inches on the ground now tops and the street is still flooded. I would rather deal with 2-3 feet of snow than this flooding. Its sad that I can still see my lawn in a lot of spots.

Not much happening in camden county for the past hour or 2. Are we in a dry slot? Just went out to shovel, hard to gauge how much we've gotten due to drifts, but if i had to guess I'd say 13-15

I saw on the news that you are in a dry spot. Its apparently bad in a rainbow shaped band from trenton to NYC. I'm in the middle of it getting crushed.

So, after a quick nap and 4th round of shoveling, as of 1:00 pm we have 14.5" give or take an inch or so. That would "only" be an average of an inch per hour since my last measurement of 9.5" at 8:30 am. Having watched the radar pretty closely, we just haven't been under those 30+ dBZ bands for prolonged periods (just for spurts), so we haven't had 2" per hour snows for the most part. Still thinking we make it to 20-22" if we can just sustain 1" per hour rates for 6-7 more hours. Have some 3-4 foot drifts and bare spots. Somebody in Somerset/Morris/Union Counties is going to hit 30", as that Godzilla band has been amazing for the last few hours.

Reactions: nyctarheel23
Since I can't get out my back door to officially measure the snow on my patio table, I'd estimate it to be at least 18-20" here in Tinton Falls.

Was at least 15" when dug out the first time about 2 hours ago in New Providence. Still snowing quite heavily. Plows are out on the main road near me, but haven't yet gotten to our side street.

I like these threads . Numbers , wasn't it your son that was a local hero and thwarted a home burglary years ago ? Did that occur in the winter ?
Good memory. There was a home invasion when he was 13, home sick from school (big dude kicked the door in), alone, and he called my wife asking if someone was expected and then he hung up, saying "oh shit." While my wife freaked out and drove the 1 mile home, my son had heard the front door break and he retreated to the master bathroom and called 911. He was done telling 911 everything when the intruder confronted him and grabbed the phone - our son was heard to say "don't hurt me" and then the guy took off, as he heard sirens (the 911 operator had called the cops about 30 seconds before the intruder confronted our son and their response was within 10 seconds).

Even though the cops were at the house within 40 seconds of getting the call, the guy got away. My wife drove up as the cops were all on the lawn with guns drawn,entering the house and searching it - as you might guess the 30 seconds it took for the cops to tell her our son was ok was pretty scary for her (I got there about 10 minutes later from work). Once they met up with our son and determined he was ok, they then conducted a nook and cranny search with my wife, to ensure that the perp didn't hide somewhere inside the house. Was proud of our son for being cool enough to figure out what was going on, retreat to a safer area and call 911.

It occurred in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT