ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hurricane Ian to Bring Major to Catastrophic Impacts to Cuba/Florida (and 2022 Tropical Weather Thread):

It all boils down to inherent insecurities and unhappiness, and picking on a person who is obviously happy with his life and passionate about a few things. Yet, the so-called adult will project how great his life is, when in reality, he is unhappy and needs to project and put down others to make himself feel better. I run into a lot of these types outside of my professional career. I used to try to challenge them and argue with them, but it is mostly a useless and frustrating exercise.

He is a climate change and science denier. Anything that comes from those two worlds create an immediate reaction to refute and be scoffed at. It’s both ignorant and dangerous.

He could literally be hit in the face by a projectile and die.
But there’s a point when even if you want to have that debate, you should stand down. This is one of those times. To his credit, he appears to have received the hint unless the mods banned him from the thread. Either way, great job by everyone else with the excellent info.

Reactions: rondi
He is a climate change and science denier. Anything that comes from those two worlds create an immediate reaction to refute and be scoffed at. It’s both ignorant and dangerous.
They still have peanut size brain people out there ? LMAO

Reactions: thegock
But there’s a point when even if you want to have that debate, you should stand down. This is one of those times. To his credit, he appears to have received the hint unless the mods banned him from the thread. Either way, great job by everyone else with the excellent info.
Yeah you might be referencing another post. This one is about a reporter standing in the middle of the road with 100 mile an hour winds all around him.

Bonita Springs Update: Hurricane officially passed & it stopped raining. My 95 yo Dad had water within an inch of his front door & lanai. Water level breached his garage floor but not inside his home at any entry. Street was a river during high tide at 4pm. Predicted 12 ft surge. His elevation is 11 ft. Low tide is @ 9pm. Next high tide is @ 3am. Could there be another surge then or is that gone with hurricane?? No power at all. FYI: Others in area weren’t so lucky. Surrounding area has a lot of water/surge over car height & breaching inside of homes. Dad is @ 2 miles from beach…thank goodness.

Bradenton (Sarasota) Update: Brother (directly on canal/water) is getting hit hard now. Already lost entire lanai & running on house generator. Said it’s rough weather wise. Haven’t heard from him in awhile. Hurricane has hours to go yet. High tide is @ 2:20am. Hoping for the best.

Neither we nor their family have heard from our friends in Sanibel since yesterday. They decided to “hunker down” & stay since they closed the causeway & at that point, couldn’t evacuate. WTH. Ugh!

Go RU!
Diane

Last edited:
Bonita Springs Update: Hurricane officially passed & it stopped raining. My 95 yo Dad had water within an inch of his front door & lanai. Water level breached his garage floor but not inside his home at any entry. Street was a river during high tide at 4pm. Predicted 12 ft surge. His elevation is 11 ft. Low tide is @ 9pm. Next high tide is @ 3am. Could there be another surge then or is that gone with hurricane?? No power at all. FYI: Others in area weren’t so lucky. Surrounding area has a lot of water/surge over car height & breaching inside of homes. Dad is @ 2 miles from beach…thank goodness.

Bradenton (Sarasota) Update: Brother (directly on canal/water) is getting hit hard now. Already lost entire lanai & running on house generator. Said it’s rough weather wise. Haven’t heard from him in awhile. Hurricane has hours to go yet. High tide is @ 2:20am. Hoping for the best.

Neither we nor their family have heard from our friends in Sanibel since yesterday. They decided to “hunker down” & stay since they closed the causeway & at that point, couldn’t evacuate. WTH. Ugh!

Go RU!
Diane

My mom’s home is Bonita Spring in Pelican Landing. We are fearing the worst (she is in NJ now) as she is along Spring Creek and close to Estero Bay. I cannot imagine what Sanibel looks like.

Calls for water rescues on Ft Myers beach and Sanibel Island.

They are on their own.
Anybody deciding to ride something out like this on a low lying island needs to be committed. Weather reporters standing out in exposed areas need to be committed as well. That one dude dodged two pieces of debris in seconds that could have maimed him.
I'm focused on Marco Island on Twitter. Talk about tone deaf and timing, but maybe it is a good time to buy low? @kyk1827

I'm thinking some of these home listings might be changed to a "land only" sale. The storm surges and winds are wicked.
LOL at the dude swimming in his home. I hope he is still alive.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Been hearing a lot about the "brown ocean effect" and its role in maintaining Ian's strength (and other storms) after landfall. It's theorized that warm most soils and swamps contain enough moisture to somewhat simulate being over the ocean with regard to the latent heat of vaporization (evaporation of very warm water is what drives tropical systems - the warm core).

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/weath...did-it-turn-ida-into-such-a-monster-hurricane

I will say that the winds in Jacksonville, where we are 1.5 days away, are much more severe than I expected.
Been watching radar all day and last night, on and off.. and I noticed a related system shadowing Ian way off on the Florida east coast.. like it was spawned by Ian and used the Atlantic waters to fuel itself seemingly independent of Ian's continuing contributions.

Another way to look at it.. while that hand of Ian was way over on the east coast heading north.. the whole length of his forearm across central Florida was barely visible.... but Ian's body is here now... and if he gets to the Atlantic... maybe we shall see a re-fueling.. a "second wind". I hope not for the sake of ythe Jax area folks.

Pretty cool map/tracker by Big Ten's Wisconsin, I think

Last edited:
The Sanibel Causeway is washed out. There is no other route on / off the island.

When you say washed out do you mean gone? Has the water receded? I would have thought all of sanibel would be under water.

When you say washed out do you mean gone? Has the water receded? I would have thought all of sanibel would be under water.

50 foot section of the causeway has been destroyed (see pic in above post).

The island probably was inundated, mostly if not completely. The surge would have receded by now, but there is no way to get vehicles on or off the island until the causeway is repaired.

Reactions: pmvon
My dad has golfing buddies who are snow birds, up here for the summer and early fall, down in Naples for the winter, early spring. One had planned to head down last week but held off going when whispers of a potential hurricane started to pop up but no one had any idea where it would go.

Looks like he made a sound decision.

My dad has golfing buddies who are snow birds, up here for the summer and early fall, down in Naples for the winter, early spring. One had planned to head down last week but held off going when whispers of a potential hurricane started to pop up but no one had any idea where it would go.

Looks like he made a sound decision.
I have a college friend that just recently (this year) downsized and he and his wife moved from NJ to Naples. They are in a condo a few floors up so should be okay, at least from a flooding perspective.

Snowbird, I have a condo at Vivante in Punta Gorda. 4th floor unit, so I hope it is OK, have a car a ground level, not to sure about it, hopefully will know more in a day or so. All the videos do not look positive.

I have a college friend that just recently (this year) downsized and he and his wife moved from NJ to Naples. They are in a condo a few floors up so should be okay, at least from a flooding perspective.

One of my dad's buddies had a big house down there with a pool, pretty close to the coast. They had bought it for their kids and grand kids to come down, etc. But as the grand kids got older and involved in sports they were going down to Florida less and less. So they sold the house in the spring and bought a big condo. He told my dad that based on what's heard from some of his old neighbors, the old house is a total wreck.

Reactions: Knightmoves
One of my dad's buddies had a big house down there with a pool, pretty close to the coast. They had bought it for their kids and grand kids to come down, etc. But as the grand kids got older and involved in sports they were going down to Florida less and less. So they sold the house in the spring and bought a big condo. He told my dad that based on what's heard from some of his old neighbors, the old house is a total wreck.
Same here, it was in Naples.

My Parents just got too old to be that far away all by themselves. Moved back up to be closer to family.

Except the cars

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT