ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hurricane Isaias: heavy rain, high winds, and flooding in SC/NC/VA/MD/DE/PA/NJ/NY/New England

On my block alone last night around 5PM, there were at least 40-50 people out surfing and throngs of people watching. It never ceases to amaze me at the talent level of some of these little kids, some as young as 9 or 10 years old
Maybe someday they’ll be as good as Manasquan. :)

l.png

https://www.nj.com/monmouth/2019/10...m-just-won-its-6th-straight-championship.html

I can't argue the current status, after OC ripped off about 15 straight Manasquan has taken over. That being said I think in 2016? They messed up the scores and OC thought they won until the next day they realized there was a math error.

All over around here you see kids as young as I'd guess middle school biking to the beach with boards. There's always surfers but it sure seems like it's exploded with the younger demo.

Reactions: newell138
All over around here you see kids as young as I'd guess middle school biking to the beach with boards. There's always surfers but it sure seems like it's exploded with the younger demo.

I must be getting old or the moms are getting hotter. I was watching this little guy who turned out to be 8 years old just shredding some pretty big waves and at one point comes out of the water to talk to this very attractive girl next to me who I thought was maybe in her early 20s. After he ran back in I said, is that your brother? He's really good. She responds, thanks but no, he is my son. I said no way, and she says, yes, i have 3 other kids, 12, 14 and 17!

I must be getting old or the moms are getting hotter. I was watching this little guy who turned out to be 8 years old just shredding some pretty big waves and at one point comes out of the water to talk to this very attractive girl next to me who I thought was maybe in her early 20s. After he ran back in I said, is that your brother? He's really good. She responds, thanks but no, he is my son. I said no way, and she says, yes, i have 3 other kids, 12, 14 and 17!

Smooth, very smooth.

Newell with the back handed compliment...Smoooothhhhh! : )

Sister? Righttttt.

Nice move Mr Smooth:Wink:

Reactions: Jm0513
I figure they won't ever legalize cocaine anyway. And probably shouldn't. Although doing so might prevent deaths from coke spiked with much stronger narcotics, and might take some money out of the cartel's hands.

Alas, I have no hippie stoner hookers. They keep getting the munchies and then getting too out of shape. Bad for business. :Wink:
Aren’t you in your 70’s?

Power in Neshanic area of Hillsborough out since noon yesterday. They're saying earliest will be tomorrow, and possibly not until Sunday. No idea how this storm impacted the grid so badly.

Trees still lying across 520 in Tinton Falls, yet there is a crew sitting in the parking lot at Woody’s with a sign saying “waiting for dispatch”. Needless to say, still no power on the north end of Tinton Falls.

Still no power here in middletown, just drove 5 miles into lincroft to see anyone with power. Didnt see one truck working on lines anywhere in the area.

30K still with no Optimum in Katonah/Yorktown/Somers. Lots of trees still down everywhere and roads closed. 100k still with no juice in Rockland/Orange. Haven't seen a midsummer storm like this in a long time (usually spring or fall). We didn't get much rain. It was like 20 minutes of wind that did most damage

Still no power here in middletown, just drove 5 miles into lincroft to see anyone with power. Didnt see one truck working on lines anywhere in the area.
Grew up in Middletown. Still have 3 siblings who live there. Two without power, one has power.

Reactions: rcube1994
I've seen no lines or poles down anywhere near me in Hillsborough, yet no expectation of getting power back soon. Have no idea where the problem is, but it's apparently a significant one. Longest the power has been out since we moved into this house 5 years ago.

Going on 36hrs of outage in New Prov. (12pm Tues).
A big tree came down on lines to our left about 5-6 hours down.
Same exact location as the tree that came down in the March 2018 snow storm.

Two trucks were down there before but they left. Doesn’t look like they did anything - tree still in wires and wires still attached to poles.

2 houses down to our right has power where the different grid starts.

Driving to and from work in Matawan, did not see one work crew at all. Traffic lights out on Rt 34 all the way up to Lloyd Rd. Where are they working??

JCP&L now saying power for Hillsborough outage may not be back on until August 11th. My neighbors tell me that's a longer outage than this neighborhood had after Sandy (5 days).

The transformer across the street just blew up so this is likely my last post for awhile with over 1MM without power on nj. Stay safe folks...

So our one day trip to 1793 is finally over, as the PSE&G crews worked their asses off today in our neighborhood. Turns out a huge tree had fallen onto the wires about a block away and it took a couple of hours for the weight to cause the line to short out at the transformer, according to the tech I chatted with. It only took out about one block, but that included us.

After a great night off the grid, a good friend lent us their never used portable generator this morning. Was actually a breeze to set up and operate and it allowed us to save hundreds of dollars worth of frozen/fridge food. While we ended up only using it for about 7 hours, there was no guarantee power would be back that quickly. We had a bunch of other offers for help - the back up plan was to put the fridge contents into coolers with ice and to bring the frozen stuff to a friend's house. Friends are cool, lol. Spent most of the afternoon breaking up fallen branches (luckily none or our huge trees came down) and cleaning up the yard.

Might have to get one of these small portable generators - don't feel the need to power the whole house, but being able to save the perishables would be nice. For Sandy, I knew it was going to be really bad, so we ate up a bunch of food in advance (plus we had a lot less, since there was no COVID), then were home without power for two days, but then had enough of that and spent the next 3 nights in a hotel in Philly capped off with a great show (obscure folk-punk band called Andrew Jackson Jihad) and power was back the day after the show.

Chemical engineering power outage tip: a full freezer takes close to 48 hours to warm up enough for the food to start thawing without power, if one keeps the freezer closed, whereas a 1/4 full freezer will thaw in 4-8 hours. It's all about thermal mass - the more cold mass one has vs. the void volume of air that can warm up, the longer it will take for that entire mass to warm up. Before the storm, I had bought some ice bags to bring both our freezers (not separate freezers - freezer compartments) up to being full, just in case. It took us about 16 hours to get the freezer back on and there was no sign of any thawing.

Was kind of nice being off the grid for a day - I only argued with my family, lol. Hope the rest of you without power or with trees down and such are doing ok. Quite a storm - no Sandy, but we may never see a Sandy again, as it truly was a once in 500-1000 year storm but I think it was up there with other bad tropical systems we've seen, like Irene and Floyd. It didn't have Irene's or Floyd's widespread flooding rains (only the western/SW part of the state saw 3-5") or coastal flooding, but the wind gusts and tree damage/power outages were more widespread and worse than those two storms.

Last edited:
Ran my generator for 30 hours, decided to change the oil sine I expected to run it until Sunday. Turned it back on and realized the power was on. Usually we are one of the last to get restored.

JCP&L now saying power for Hillsborough outage may not be back on until August 11th. My neighbors tell me that's a longer outage than this neighborhood had after Sandy (5 days).

My brother-in-law in Flemington got power back from JCP &L at about 11:30 a.m.today (Wednesday). I hope that's a good sign for you.

So our one day trip to 1793 is finally over, as the PSE&G crews worked their asses off today in our neighborhood. Turns out a huge tree had fallen onto the wires about a block away and it took a couple of hours for the weight to cause the line to short out at the transformer, according to the tech I chatted with. It only took out about one block, but that included us.

After a great night off the grid, a good friend lent us their never used portable generator this morning. Was actually a breeze to set up and operate and it allowed us to save hundreds of dollars worth of frozen/fridge food. While we ended up only using it for about 7 hours, there was no guarantee power would be back that quickly. We had a bunch of other offers for help - the back up plan was to put the fridge contents into coolers with ice and to bring the frozen stuff to a friend's house. Friends are cool, lol. Spent most of the afternoon breaking up fallen branches (luckily none or our huge trees came down) and cleaning up the yard.

Might have to get one of these small portable generators - don't feel the need to power the whole house, but being able to save the perishables would be nice. For Sandy, I knew it was going to be really bad, so we ate up a bunch of food in advance (plus we had a lot less, since there was no COVID), then were home without power for two days, but then had enough of that and spent the next 3 nights in a hotel in Philly capped off with a great show (obscure folk-punk band called Andrew Jackson Jihad) and power was back the day after the show.

Chemical engineering power outage tip: a full freezer takes close to 48 hours to warm up enough for the food to start thawing without power, if one keeps the freezer closed, whereas a 1/4 full freezer will thaw in 4-8 hours. It's all about thermal mass - the more cold mass one has vs. the void volume of air that can warm up, the longer it will take for that entire mass to warm up. Before the storm, I had bought some ice bags to bring both our freezers (not separate freezers - freezer compartments) up to being full, just in case. It took us about 16 hours to get the freezer back on and there was no sign of any thawing.

Was kind of nice being off the grid for a day - I only argued with my family, lol. Hope the rest of you without power or with trees down and such are doing ok. Quite a storm - no Sandy, but we may never see a Sandy again, as it truly was a once in 500-1000 year storm but I think it was up there with other bad tropical systems we've seen, like Irene and Floyd. It didn't have Irene's or Floyd's widespread flooding rains (only the western/SW part of the state saw 3-5") or coastal flooding, but the wind gusts and tree damage/power outages were more widespread and worse than those two storms.
Too long, nobody cares that much. But happy you got your power back! Hopefully your 25 lbs of organic ground beef survived. I have plenty of Sandy stories to tell.....perhaps down the road.

This is a little off topic, but we are thinking of getting a generator. Is the advice in this article good? ttps://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia-power-outage-portable-generator-how-to-20200805.html

If you look at the comments, you'll see someone recommend a Generac whole-house generator that (I'm pretty sure) runs on natural gas. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you!
My brother is an electrician do you want me to ask him this question?:)

Reactions: retired711
Max gusts so far from the NWS-Philly (no reports yet from NWS-NYC). Many in the 60-70 mph range and a few over 70 mph. Huge branch just came down in our back yard.

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
1242 PM EDT Tue Aug 4 2020

...HIGHEST WIND REPORTS...

...Atlantic County...
Pleasantville Point 66 MPH 1135 AM 08/04 WXFLOW
Forsythe 62 MPH 1125 AM 08/04 RAWS
3 NE Hammonton 52 MPH 1019 AM 08/04 AWOS

...Burlington County...
McGuire AFB 62 MPH 1205 PM 08/04 AWOS
Tabernacle 53 MPH 1112 AM 08/04 CWOP
Coyle Field 51 MPH 1210 PM 08/04 RAWS
Tabernacle 51 MPH 1039 AM 08/04 CWOP

...Camden County...
Waterford Works 60 MPH 1025 AM 08/04 AWS

...Cape May County...
Ocean City 72 MPH 0949 AM 08/04 WXFLOW
Cape May NOS 64 MPH 1212 PM 08/04 NOS-NWLON
Wildwood 62 MPH 1018 AM 08/04 AWOS
Cape May 59 MPH 0902 AM 08/04 WXFLOW
Ocean City 57 MPH 1131 AM 08/04 CWOP
Sea Isle City 53 MPH 1146 AM 08/04 CWOP

...Cumberland County...
Millville 56 MPH 1034 AM 08/04 ASOS

...Mercer County...
Trenton 58 MPH 1204 PM 08/04 ASOS

...Middlesex County...
Perth Amboy 58 MPH 1213 PM 08/04 WXFLOW

...Monmouth County...
Belmar Farmdale 53 MPH 1152 AM 08/04 AWOS

...Morris County...
Succasunna 51 MPH 1206 PM 08/04 CWOP

...Ocean County...
Rutgers 70 MPH 1143 AM 08/04 WXFLOW
Island Heights 69 MPH 1216 PM 08/04 CWOP
Beach Haven 65 MPH 1221 PM 08/04 CWOP
North Beach Haven 64 MPH 1145 AM 08/04 CWOP
Tuckerton 61 MPH 1136 AM 08/04 WXFLOW
Seaside Heights 58 MPH 1130 AM 08/04 WXFLOW
Surf City 57 MPH 1216 PM 08/04 CWOP
South Seaside Park 54 MPH 1130 AM 08/04 CWOP
Jackson 51 MPH 1210 PM 08/04 RAWS

...Somerset County...
Bridgewater 58 MPH 1220 PM 08/04 CWOP

Similar wind gusts reported for the NWS-NYC office with most areas getting 50-60 mph gusts, some getting 60-70 mph gusts, and a few getting some over 70 mph - at the coast in Queens and on LI, as one would expect, just like the max gusts for the NWS-Philly were at the coast in the 70-75 mph range.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
558 AM EDT WED AUG 05 2020

NEW JERSEY

...BERGEN COUNTY...
TETERBORO AIRPORT 55 113 PM 8/04 ASOS
MAYWOOD 51 108 PM 8/04 CWOP
HASBROUCK HEIGHTS 44 109 PM 8/04 CWOP
FAIR LAWN 41 1235 PM 8/04 CWOP

...ESSEX COUNTY...
CALDWELL 52 118 PM 8/04 ASOS
MILLBURN 47 350 PM 8/04 CWOP

...HUDSON COUNTY...
BAYONNE 62 1251 PM 8/04 WXFLOW
HOBOKEN 46 152 PM 8/04 CWOP

...PASSAIC COUNTY...
RINGWOOD 41 510 PM 8/04 RAWS
3 ENE WEST MILFORD 40 159 PM 8/04 AWOS

...UNION COUNTY...
NEWARK AIRPORT 68 107 PM 8/04 ASOS

NEW YORK

...KINGS COUNTY...
BROOKLYN 46 1220 PM 8/04 CWOP
SHEEPSHEAD BAY 45 131 PM 8/04 CWOP

...NASSAU COUNTY...
WANTAGH 68 210 PM 8/04 NYSM
VALLEY STREAM 56 156 PM 8/04 CWOP
MUTTONTOWN 52 225 PM 8/04 CWOP
SYOSSET 49 235 PM 8/04 CWOP
WANTAGH 49 216 PM 8/04 CWOP
MERRICK 47 410 PM 8/04 CWOP
1 NW UNIONDALE (WEAT 44 150 PM 8/04 MESOWEST
CARLE PLACE 43 230 PM 8/04 CWOP

...NEW YORK COUNTY...
CENTRAL PARK 46 405 PM 8/04 ASOS

...ORANGE COUNTY...
STEWART AIRPORT 51 520 PM 8/04 AWOS
WARWICK 50 210 PM 8/04 NYSM
1 WSW MONTGOMERY 45 446 PM 8/04 AWOS
VAILS GATE 41 501 PM 8/04 CWOP

...QUEENS COUNTY...
JACKSON HEIGHTS 73 157 PM 8/04 CWOP
NYC/JFK AIRPORT 70 125 PM 8/04 ASOS
BREEZY POINT 62 151 PM 8/04 WXFLOW
NYC/LA GUARDIA 61 206 PM 8/04 ASOS
BEECHHURST 41 217 PM 8/04 CWOP

...RICHMOND COUNTY...
2 SE ELIZABETH 64 330 PM 8/04 NDBC

...ROCKLAND COUNTY...
SUFFERN 52 445 PM 8/04 NYSM

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...
FARMINGDALE AIRPORT 78 146 PM 8/04 ASOS
STONY BROOK 75 300 PM 8/04 CWOP
GREAT SOUTH BAY 75 143 PM 8/04 WXFLOW
GREAT GULL ISLAND 73 447 PM 8/04 WXFLOW
WEST GILGO BEACH 69 200 PM 8/04 CWOP
ISLIP AIRPORT 69 420 PM 8/04 ASOS
FIRE ISLAND CG 68 244 PM 8/04 WXFLOW
BLUE POINT 65 258 PM 8/04 WXFLOW
ORIENT 64 517 PM 8/04 CWOP
SHIRLEY AIRPORT 61 256 PM 8/04 ASOS
SOUTHOLD 59 440 PM 8/04 NYSM
SINAI HARBOR 59 223 PM 8/04 WXFLOW
FISHERS ISLAND AIRPO 58 530 PM 8/04 WXFLOW
BLUE POINT 56 401 PM 8/04 CWOP
EASTPORT 55 329 PM 8/04 CWOP
STONY BROOK 55 240 PM 8/04 NYSM
MECOX BAY 54 434 PM 8/04 WXFLOW
WEST ISLIP 53 309 PM 8/04 CWOP
WESTHAMPTON AIRPORT 52 342 PM 8/04 ASOS
STONY BROOK 49 535 AM 8/05 CWOP
NAPEAGUE 48 400 PM 8/04 WXFLOW
ISLIP TERRACE 47 222 PM 8/04 CWOP
GREENLAWN 46 202 PM 8/04 CWOP
EAST HAMPTON 44 415 PM 8/04 AWOS
MILLER PLACE 42 231 PM 8/04 CWOP

...WESTCHESTER COUNTY...
WHITE PLAINS AIRPORT 59 203 PM 8/04 ASOS
TAPPAN ZEE LIGHT 14 58 231 PM 8/04 WXFLOW
SOMERS 57 220 PM 8/04 NYSM
CROTON 52 430 PM 8/04 WXFLOW

My brother-in-law in Flemington got power back from JCP &L at about 11:30 a.m.today (Wednesday). I hope that's a good sign for you.

JCP&L adjusted their estimate this morning to Sunday at 11: 30pm. Which is better than Tuesday, but it's still crazy to me to think that Isaias will be the longest power outage I've experienced in my life (got lucky during Sandy, and our old place never lost power).

I'm still without power. I have a live wire (?)hanging in the front guarded by one of the town cuties for the last 44 hrs. I thought the sparks I saw were from a transformer, but it was the wire.
I'm about to grab a hard hat and fix it.:Devil
I lost about 450$ (or more I buy all organic, no meat) in frozen and refrigerated items which I plan to put in a claim for. (It's worth a shot.) Broke my heart to throw out unopened food. I hate to waste when so many are hungry.
Not complaining because I know others have it worse..just venting..to strangers..on a football message board. Lol

Power in Neshanic area of Hillsborough out since noon yesterday. They're saying earliest will be tomorrow, and possibly not until Sunday. No idea how this storm impacted the grid so badly.
I can only speak for my neighborhood. Within 1500 feet of my home, we have 8 huge oak trees down that took down wires, three telephone poles snapped like twigs, four roads completely blocked in and in fact the town unblocked one of the roads for emergency purposes or else me and my neighbors would have been completely blocked in. I drove into mountain Lakes and the situation is similar. We are now 48 hours without power and the utility hasn't even showed up in our neighborhood.

I can only speak for my neighborhood. Within 1500 feet of my home, we have 8 huge oak trees down that took down wires, three telephone poles snapped like twigs, four roads completely blocked in and in fact the town unblocked one of the roads for emergency purposes or else me and my neighbors would have been completely blocked in. I drove into mountain Lakes and the situation is similar. We are now 48 hours without power and the utility hasn't even showed up in our neighborhood.

Out of curiosity, what is your electric utility? I've been hearing complaints about both PSE&G and JCP&L, but the situations seems worse with the latter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT