ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hurricane Isaias: heavy rain, high winds, and flooding in SC/NC/VA/MD/DE/PA/NJ/NY/New England

This is a little off topic, but we are thinking of getting a generator. Is the advice in this article good? ttps://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia-power-outage-portable-generator-how-to-20200805.html

If you look at the comments, you'll see someone recommend a Generac whole-house generator that (I'm pretty sure) runs on natural gas. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you!
My neighbor has a whole house generator that is 100 ft. from my bedroom window. It is loud AF and never stops until the power goes back on. I would suggest you get one but locate it where it will cause the least disruption to your neighbors. I haven't been able to sleep the last two nights because of the constant loud noise.

Reactions: retired711
Out of curiosity, what is your electric utility? I've been hearing complaints about both PSE&G and JCP&L, but the situations seems worse with the latter.
PSE&G. I don't blame them like cuomo is blaming the utilities in NY. A utility can never fully anticipate the damage caused by a storm. This one happened to be worse than anyone thought because so many tree went down. It wasn't a hurricane just a tropical storm but people in my neighborhood who have been there for awhile are saying that this may have been worse than sandy.

When I sold my 1st house in Kenilworth the buyer told me that he loved the house and the icing on the cake was my whole house generator. Some buyers will care about it as some will care about a pool. For me it’s piece of mind and to always avoid the horror stories that come with power failure. It’s a great investment in your house and your mind. Many people wish they made the investment into one right now. What’s 10G compared to piece of mind?

NJ.com reports that the forecast for tropical storms has been revised to estimate more storms than originally expected. The causes are high sea temperatures, an expected lack of wind shear (which, as @RU848789 has told us, tends to destroy storms) in part because it's very unlikely we'll have an El Nino this year, and the West African Monsoon has been very active. Colorado State University (one of the places with the higher forecast) had originally expected 16 storms, with four becoming hurricanes, and 2 becoming major hurricanes; it now forecasts 24 storms, with 12 becoming hurricanes, and five becoming major (That forecast includes the nine storms and 2 hurricanes that have already formed). I have summarized at this length because the story is behind a pay wall and so is available for subscribers only. https://www.nj.com/weather/2020/08/the-already-bad-hurricane-season-forecast-just-got-worse.html I know many f you are non-subscribers, and I'd be glad to give additional info from the article if you have any questions.

I'm still without power. I have a live wire (?)hanging in the front guarded by one of the town cuties for the last 44 hrs. I thought the sparks I saw were from a transformer, but it was the wire.
I'm about to grab a hard hat and fix it.:Devil
I lost about 450$ (or more I buy all organic, no meat) in frozen and refrigerated items which I plan to put in a claim for. (It's worth a shot.) Broke my heart to throw out unopened food. I hate to waste when so many are hungry.
Not complaining because I know others have it worse..just venting..to strangers..on a football message board. Lol
Sorry to hear about your power outage.

You should've let me know about the food. I have an oversized chest freezer that's only about a third full at the moment. I would've been happy to store your perishables for you (even if it is all yukky veggies). Worst case, I could've brought you some donuts.

I too have suffered greatly, greatly I say, from power outages from the storm. My favorite car was up on a lift in the shop at a nearby dealership when the storm took out a tree and power-line near them. That took out power to the dealership (and shop) and the power hasn't been restored, at least not as of yesterday evening.

So my poor car stuck has been stuck on the lift with no power to work on it or lower it. :cry:

I mean, sure, having to throw away food sucks. But this is a car we're talking about here. And cars are people too.

Reactions: Jm0513
My neighbor has a whole house generator that is 100 ft. from my bedroom window. It is loud AF and never stops until the power goes back on. I would suggest you get one but locate it where it will cause the least disruption to your neighbors. I haven't been able to sleep the last two nights because of the constant loud noise.
What?

115-1157345_listen-emoticon-transparent-cartoons-emoji-listening.png

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Out of curiosity, what is your electric utility? I've been hearing complaints about both PSE&G and JCP&L, but the situations seems worse with the latter.

JCP&L is part of First Energy which is a utility company centered in Akron Ohio. My experience is that is situations like this, responding and getting NJ back up and running is low on their list - especially their service areas in Morris County. This was the case as far back as the October Snowstorm 5-6 years back. My area was out of power for over 3 weeks in that case. I somehow have power right now while most of my neighborhood is down (generators are purring like cicadas).....expect this will go on at least until Saturday. Lines are down un-tethered everywhere blocking streets with only orange cones that police put out. Some are even left still blocking driveways in the neighborhood.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
JCP&L is part of First Energy which is a utility company centered in Akron Ohio. My experience is that is situations like this, responding and getting NJ back up and running is low on their list - especially their service areas in Morris County. This was the case as far back as the October Snowstorm 5-6 years back. My area was out of power for over 3 weeks in that case. I somehow have power right now while most of my neighborhood is down (generators are purring like cicadas).....expect this will go on at least until Saturday. Lines are down un-tethered everywhere blocking streets with only orange cones that police put out. Some are even left still blocking driveways in the neighborhood.

Jersey Central (First Energy) is for profit whereas PSE&G isn't correct?

I made it thru the storm with only a 1-2 minute outage. Last night around 6:15 the power went out on my street. Frustrating because the people behind me never lost theirs.

Problem was a blown transformer. Fortunately we came back on line about an hour ago.

Hudson and Southern Bergen Counties:"What storm?"
My and my 300 neighbors power has been out all week mostly from the storm not too far from Giants stadium , I’m in my car now charging my phone, luckily I freeze blocks of ice in my freezer just in case but they only last so long, I have many things in my large cooler on ice but if they don’t fix the down lines soon many things that were frozen most likely we be thrown out. So many of the trees that go down are top heavy or have week trunks due to insect problems, also many trees that are known to be possible problems are never pruned or removed if necessary.

Unfortunately, they are very limited as to where they can be installed. Though, a portable generator is usually much louder. I’m not sure what you would expect? People will have generators all over during these times.

Reactions: Knight Shift
We are in Franklin Lakes- Orange Rockland had reported there had some sort of problem on site as well as all the downed wires. 97% without power. We are still down and internet/cellular has been spotty at best. It has been a nightmare working off my phone when I can get online. 3 large RFP’s have come in, over 50 pages each...impossible to read and comprehend much less respond to.
The house we sold in January, we had installed a whole house generator. The house we are renting, not so lucky and on well water to boot so it has sucked. Got lucky that an old neighbor didn’t lose power and let me borrow his portable generators- at least have some light, can make coffee and saved our food.

A friend had the same problem with a neighbor only it was about 20-30' from his bedroom window. The guy located it right by the property line. First thing the next day he had a chat with the neighbor and it was moved.

People suck. I went to a place that had power for coffee yesterday. There was a line waiting to get in the store. Inside the place a women was complaining loudly that she had to wait for her order as if there was nothing else going on.

There are roads that are still closed here in Wayne.

Just heard from my hair stylist - we were there the morning of the storm. About 15 minutes after we left, she had a tree come down on her house. Overall she had 3 trees come down, and her power is still out.

Power is still out but PSEG was out there last night at 10. Going to go ask the cop what the hell is going on. The PSEG app says Sunday is the estimated restoration.

Power is still out but PSEG was out there last night at 10. Going to go ask the cop what the hell is going on. The PSEG app says Sunday is the estimated restoration.
That's rough. Feel fortunate to have not lost power. Go a block or two over in my small town and there are trees down and power out. The CVS was still closed and out as of yesterday afternoon. Sneaky pain in the a$$ storm.

Reactions: Jm0513
We went to a hotel last night (well and septic both require power at our place) and two hours after we checked in our neighbors texted us that power came back on. So, home now and power and internet are back. Still a lot of people around without power, but glad to be up and running again.

We got lucky. ! 1/2 inches of rain...serious wind.....no fallen trees...no loss of power here.
Lots of friends and relatives weren't so lucky.

where are those folks who were singing the praises of rural living?

oh wait...they won't have power, so they won't post until next week.
Well I live in Hunterdon County. Lost power for six hours on Tuesday and have been fine since. Guess I’m one of the lucky ones. Love it here!

A friend had the same problem with a neighbor only it was about 20-30' from his bedroom window. The guy located it right by the property line. First thing the next day he had a chat with the neighbor and it was moved.

People suck. I went to a place that had power for coffee yesterday. There was a line waiting to get in the store. Inside the place a women was complaining loudly that she had to wait for her order as if there was nothing else going on.
He just moved an installed whole house generator??? Makes no sense
Sounds like a few of you also just live in areas that houses are on top of each other. In these circumstances, it makes no sense to be dicks.
Quite honestly, the generator noise in my very quiet neighborhood is non stop but what are you going to do? My own portable is right outside my bedroom. Doesn’t bother me as it is just a very constant running with no abrupt in’s and offs.
Give your neighbors a break, they are just trying to get through this.

Power back on in Middletown! Had my harbor freight generator that I bought durning sandy running straight for the past 3 days. 3500 watt. Powered 2 refigerators, internet, tv fans and lights. Instead of a whole house generator Im going w a manual transfer switch and a bigger portable generator. I figure I might be able to get away all in for $2000 vs. $10000 for the whole house. A little more work of running the generator out and keeping it filled w gas, but much less money

PSE&G. I don't blame them like cuomo is blaming the utilities in NY. A utility can never fully anticipate the damage caused by a storm. .

Blaming the utility after bad storms (that piss people off) is just SOP for NY pols. The pols get out front so nobody blames them

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Generally, the less expensive they are, the louder they are too.

Hondas are the quietest conventional generators I understand. Quieter still are inverters. Those are all Army uses at football games when they have the bands and concessions going

Pros and Cons of Inverter Generators
These machines come at a premium price, but they run longer, quieter, and more efficiently

https://www.consumerreports.org/inverter-generators/pros-and-cons-of-inverter-generators/

Saturday. My home in Morris County (JCP&L) still without power. Yet neighbors on the street behind us and up the block have had power since Wednesday night.

This is beyond absurd at this point. This wasn’t a CAT 5 on an island in the Caribbean. This state’s infrastructure sucks.

And it’s peace of mind not “piece” of mind. And **** a generator. Next house we are looking in neighborhoods that have their power lines run underground to supplying substation.

This state is a fvcking joke.

And it’s peace of mind not “piece” of mind. And **** a generator. Next house we are looking in neighborhoods that have their power lines run underground to supplying substation.

This state is a fvcking joke.
Tell your neighbors to trim their f***ing trees. Screw your tree-lined oasis in exclusive Morris County

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT