ADVERTISEMENT

OT: LONG DURATION MAJOR HEATWAVE BEGINS FRIDAY JUNE 29

Done. We like it. It was easy. Was tired of exploring other options, all of which involved a lot more labor and trouble.
My concern would be the that the extreme heat will sterilize the soil, wiping out all the beneficial soil biology that will eventually help your grass. Also, wilth less air flow, you're risking your soil going anaerobic. Watch for foul, ammonia like odors. Keep us updated on your experiment. I'm very curious. Good luck!

You're in a tough spot, but I'm not crazy about the plastic idea. That's just me though. Good luck
While internet information is to be taken with a grain of salt, the link I posted said:
Soil solarization is a preventive, organic method of killing weeds before weed seeds even sprout.
In the Northern hemisphere, the best time for soil solarization is June and July, when the sun is at its peak.

UIE recommends keeping the sheet of clear plastic tightly stretched out over the area for about 2 months. During that time, the sun will be killing weeds for you—"cooking" them before they have a chance to sprout. Plant pathogens will be killed, to boot.

UIE is the University of Iowa Extension.

Also:
https://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2016/06/soil_solarization_pest_control.html
In this extra-warm environment, disease-causing organisms tend to flounder while more heat-tolerant beneficial microbe species increase in numbers. The heat also eliminates some types of pests, weed seeds and seedlings.

Also:
http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74145.html

Solarization during the hot summer months can increase soil temperature to levels that kill many disease causing organisms (pathogens), nematodes, and weed seeds and seedlings. It leaves no toxic residues and can be easily used on a small or large scale garden or farm. Soil solarization also speeds up the breakdown of organic material in the soil, often resulting in the added benefit of release of soluble nutrients such as nitrogen (N03-, NH4+), calcium (Ca++), magnesium (Mg++), potassium (K+), and fulvic acid, making them more available to plants. Plants often grow faster and produce both higher and better quality yields when grown in solarized soil. This can be attributed to improved disease and weed control, the increase in soluble nutrients, and relatively greater proportions of helpful soil microorganisms.
Although many soil pests are killed by soil solarization, many beneficial soil organisms are able to either survive solarization or recolonize the soil very quickly afterwards. Important among these beneficials are the mycorrhizal fungi and fungi and bacteria that parasitize plant pathogens and aid plant growth. The increased populations of these beneficials can make solarized soils more resistant to pathogens than nonsolarized or fumigated soil. Earthworms are generally thought to burrow deeper in soil to escape the heat.

Unless you have a rain gauge and it was empty, you likely got at least 1/10th of an inch of rain on Thursday, as per the radar history for that day.

There was a significant amount of virga in Monmouth County on Thursday. I watched a solid yellow return run right over the top of me without putting so much as a drop on the ground.

So are Bac and RU as excited for this weather as #’s is for snow??

I can deal with the heat but the lack of rain sucks. Won’t take long living on top of a mountain in Kinnelon for the Wells to dry up. We won’t ever be completely out but it won’t take long to run it dry before we have to wait for it to refill

Reactions: VW Knight
Just got done whitewashing my fruit orchard trunks before this heatwave. In the planting field(extremely large garden) we use cardboard in between the planting rows then put mulch on top. It's biodegradable and stops weeds from growing. That probably won't work in your situation but a good trick for home gardeners.

I agree with @WhiteBus about Roundup. Monsantos puts a lot of money into lobbying the gov't so you don't know exactly what's in it or it's long term effects. If Europe and California have banned it's over the counter sale you know it can't be good.

Not so. What California did was add Roundup to their long list of things that can cause cancer (including gasoline and coffee etc.) and allows them to post those annoying placards everywhere. And they based their conclusion on a widely discredited report from the United Nations (you know, that famous bastion of biochemical research) that was also picked up in Europe, where they also ban GMOs despite absolutely no evidence that they cause harm.

When our EPA (who approves all pesticide use under FIFRA) and some peer reviewed scientific findings raise that warning, then we need to stop using Roundup. Until then, noxious weeds beware!!

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-glyphosate-prop65-story.html

While internet information is to be taken with a grain of salt, the link I posted said:
Soil solarization is a preventive, organic method of killing weeds before weed seeds even sprout.
In the Northern hemisphere, the best time for soil solarization is June and July, when the sun is at its peak.

UIE recommends keeping the sheet of clear plastic tightly stretched out over the area for about 2 months. During that time, the sun will be killing weeds for you—"cooking" them before they have a chance to sprout. Plant pathogens will be killed, to boot.

UIE is the University of Iowa Extension.

Also:
https://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2016/06/soil_solarization_pest_control.html
In this extra-warm environment, disease-causing organisms tend to flounder while more heat-tolerant beneficial microbe species increase in numbers. The heat also eliminates some types of pests, weed seeds and seedlings.

Also:
http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74145.html

Solarization during the hot summer months can increase soil temperature to levels that kill many disease causing organisms (pathogens), nematodes, and weed seeds and seedlings. It leaves no toxic residues and can be easily used on a small or large scale garden or farm. Soil solarization also speeds up the breakdown of organic material in the soil, often resulting in the added benefit of release of soluble nutrients such as nitrogen (N03-, NH4+), calcium (Ca++), magnesium (Mg++), potassium (K+), and fulvic acid, making them more available to plants. Plants often grow faster and produce both higher and better quality yields when grown in solarized soil. This can be attributed to improved disease and weed control, the increase in soluble nutrients, and relatively greater proportions of helpful soil microorganisms.
Although many soil pests are killed by soil solarization, many beneficial soil organisms are able to either survive solarization or recolonize the soil very quickly afterwards. Important among these beneficials are the mycorrhizal fungi and fungi and bacteria that parasitize plant pathogens and aid plant growth. The increased populations of these beneficials can make solarized soils more resistant to pathogens than nonsolarized or fumigated soil. Earthworms are generally thought to burrow deeper in soil to escape the heat.

I have not taken this approach myself but am aware of turf folks who have had good success with this (mostly in the south but that doesn’t mean it won’t work here). Good luck and keep us posted. Don’t forget you will of course have wind blown weed seed in the future but if your lawn gets established enough you can hopefully keep weeds to a minimum. Going forward you can decide if you want to use preemergent—lots of different and legitimate opinions on that. I’m not opposed to their judicious and prudent use.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not so. What California did was add Roundup to their long list of things that can cause cancer (including gasoline and coffee etc.) and allows them to post those annoying placards everywhere. And they based their conclusion on a widely discredited report from the United Nations (you know, that famous bastion of biochemical research) that was also picked up in Europe, where they also ban GMOs despite absolutely no evidence that they cause harm.

When our EPA (who approves all pesticide use under FIFRA) and some peer reviewed scientific findings raise that warning, then we need to stop using Roundup. Until then, noxious weeds beware!!

Who exactly do you think makes those GMO seeds? There's a reason those seeds are resistant to Roundup. Monsantos spends close to $10 mil. a year on lobbying government officials. Who do you think funds these studies and who decides which ones will be used? And for a long time cigarettes didn't cause cancer, that one didn't turn out so well. You may, but I wouldn't put my trust in a company who got their start by creating Agent Orange. O and that one wasn't supposed to cause cancer either.

Last edited:
Who exactly do you think makes those GMO seeds? There's a reason those seeds are resistant to Roundup. Monsantos spends close to $10 mil. a year on lobbying government officials. Who do you think funds these studies and who decides which ones will be used? And for a long time cigarettes didn't cause cancer, that one didn't turn out so well. You may, but I wouldn't put my trust in a company who got their start by creating Agent Orange. O and that one wasn't supposed to cause cancer either.

Sorry. I believe in science not conspiracy theories. People believe what they choose. Have a good day!

Don’t forget you will of course have wind blown weed seed in the future but if your lawn gets established enough you can hopefully keep weeds to a minimum.

You remember that old John Travolta movie?
maxresdefault.jpg

I am going to do a remake this late summer/early Fall:

The Yard in A Plastic Bubble.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Lots of 97-98F and a couple of 99F readings, but no official NJ weather stations reporting 100F, so far today. Slightly surprised...

36450363_10214172167812201_4165291873872642048_n.jpg

Fortunately, we're still holding on to our snowcover from this past winter at my house in Metuchen...

NKSbEfQ.jpg

Why did I get 29 inches of snow in that storm last year? I’m basically where that 92 degrees is in norther Morris County. 98 degrees about 10 miles east of me

Belle Mead

Friday: 90
Saturday: 93
Sunday: 96

slightly below what I was calling for, the cirrus clouds kept things from going to 100 today but I have officially reached a heatwave, some that did not hit 90 on Friday will have to wait until tomorrow for the official declaration of their heatwave

Temps Monday should be in the mid to upper 90s..so places could see their hottest temperatures of the heatwave, Tuesday more so low to mid 90s and just low 90s for July 4th and Thursday and Friday...looks like any shower chance put off from the 4th to the 5th and any appreciable shower not until Friday or maybe Saturday.

There was a significant amount of virga in Monmouth County on Thursday. I watched a solid yellow return run right over the top of me without putting so much as a drop on the ground.

There can always be exceptions, especially with mesoscale convective events, but for the most part the accumulated precip by radar matches station reports reasonably well and did so (for the most part) with this event. But yeah, there can be examples where one town gets an inch of rain in a 15 minute deluge and 2 towns over they get nada, despite radar showing returns. As I've said many times, if that happened in winter (10" of snow in Belle Mead, but flurries in Montgomery, for example) it would be pitchfork and torch time.

Early morning, before the sun comes up. Watering at night can result in fungus & disease issues. Mid-day is a waste of water because of the huge amount of evaporation loss.
Well midday isn't as bad for me as the whole area is shaded, but I do try to do it in the morning before I head to work. During a heat wave like this, I'm guessing this should be done daily.

Belle Mead

Friday: 90
Saturday: 93
Sunday: 96

slightly below what I was calling for, the cirrus clouds kept things from going to 100 today but I have officially reached a heatwave, some that did not hit 90 on Friday will have to wait until tomorrow for the official declaration of their heatwave

Temps Monday should be in the mid to upper 90s..so places could see their hottest temperatures of the heatwave, Tuesday more so low to mid 90s and just low 90s for July 4th and Thursday and Friday...looks like any shower chance put off from the 4th to the 5th and any appreciable shower not until Friday or maybe Saturday.
Would you be guilty of heat wishcasting? The opposite of what some of you people accuse @RU848789 doing with snow? Do you know that some older and sick people can't tolerate the heat? Bad look to be wishing for a brutal heat wave. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How are we looking for rain this week as far as fireworks and bbq’s on the 3rd and 4th?

per any shower chances, models overnight were more aggressive with the chances for Tuesday and Wednesday so there could be late day early evening showers scattered around both day but not everyone will get wet. Friday looks like the day when a widespread shower chance is likely as a front will move through the area which will end this heatwave...but don't look now Batman, GFS showing another heat pulse coming the middle to latter part of the 2nd week of July

Dont think the EPA has looked at the surfactants used in roundup. I recall at least 1 study that showed there may be health concerns because of the surfactants.

We had 2 power outages in parts of Manasquan over the weekend. 3.5 hours Friday night when a car hit a pole across the lake from the Sea Girt Camp. Not bad but yesterday we had another, longer one. I have been told it was caused by another accident but don't know for sure. It got up to 86 inside the house before the power came back on between 10 and 10:30pm.

Sucked that I missed both Yankee wins.

We had 2 power outages in parts of Manasquan over the weekend. 3.5 hours Friday night when a car hit a pole across the lake from the Sea Girt Camp. Not bad but yesterday we had another, longer one. I have been told it was caused by another accident but don't know for sure. It got up to 86 inside the house before the power came back on between 10 and 10:30pm.

Sucked that I missed both Yankee wins.
There was a power outage in the Herbertsville section of Brick Saturday afternoon until about 6:30 p.m. Has to be brutal to have no AC.

Was it cooler down at the beach? Is the water warm enough to go right in for wimps like me, who like it at 80 degrees?

There was a power outage in the Herbertsville section of Brick Saturday afternoon until about 6:30 p.m. Has to be brutal to have no AC.

Was it cooler down at the beach? Is the water warm enough to go right in for wimps like me, who like it at 80 degrees?

Lol. Never gets to 80 as you know. Saturday at the beach was fine until the wind died down around 2:30. I didn't go yesterday but I'm told it was much cooler and the water was relatively warm.

should be fine, chances of showers are pretty small, but no guarantees in weather, you can always have an isolated storm here or there

Oh no. Have fireworks plans in south Amboy on the 3rd and bbq in union county on the 4th afternoon .
Keep the heat and no rain please

It was hot at the beach. Pretty much no breeze until later in the afternoon. Flags on top of the buildings were still. Water was cold initially, but refreshing once you got in. I’d say water temperature is about 67-68 degrees.

96 was my high today which tied yesterday as the hottest of the season. One more day of mid 90s tomorrow before it drops to "only" 89-92 on Wed/Thurs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT