ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Police activity on Voorhees mall

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 sure agreement. But the protestors didn’t break any policies or laws..so why would they be disciplined?
Of course they broke school policy. The stated purpose of the protest was to prevent the exams held in the buildings on Voorhees Mall from happening. A portion of them were ultimately postponed/cancelled.

As for criminal law? There's probably ten or fifteen local ordinances that were being broken that the cops would be delighted to arrest and/or ticket people for (vagrancy, noise ordiances, etc) had it been anything other than a protest condoned by the school administration. And that's before you get into threats or harrassment (not saying there were, not saying there wasn't).

If a bunch of frat kids were walking around in Klan robes, the school would punt their asses off campus so hard their breath would smell like shoe leather, but these perpetual malcontents are walking around in terrorist cosplay they bought off Amazon and we're supposed to believe the school can't do anything about it.

Last edited:
This was probably the best possible outcome for Rutgers. There was a significant disruption but it’s not much for Rutgers to give the protestors a promise of no discipline for disrupting exams to get them to go away.

Other than some hate speech on display there was no real violence. We all know the hate speech would be a bigger deal if it wasn’t aimed towards Jews or Israelis. But it is what it is. There was also a group of protestors chasing a Jewish guy around and he appears ti slap one.

In the end the protestors were eventually outnumber by other students and members of the public. They quickly lost any momentum and settled for the university basically saying l, “we will look into a few of these down the road” and agreeing to a promise of no more protests and disruptions. The claims of getting demands met are just for social media clout and a set up for justification to future disruptions.

What’s most concerning to me is the faculty who are rather willing to encourage students to be their idealogical foot soldiers. Rutgers needs some sort of policy on this.

seems like they set up the usual committee bs where nothing will happen--they gave them very little if that.
All contingent upon no more protests and disruptions…EVER. That’s not going to happen come October and November

Reactions: RULoyal
Of course they broke school policy. The stated purpose of the protest was the prevent the exams held in the buildings on Voorhees Mall from happening. A portion of them were ultimately postponed/cancelled.

As for criminal law? There's probably ten or fifteen local ordinances that were being broken that the cops would be delighted to arrest and/or ticket people for (vagrancy, noise ordiances, etc) had it been anything other than a protest condoned by the school administration. And that's before you get into threats or harrassment (not saying there were, not saying there wasn't).

If a bunch of frat kids were walking around in Klan robes, the school would punt their asses off campus so hard their breath would smell like shoe leather, but these perpetual malcontents are walking around in terrorist cosplay they bought off Amazon and we're supposed to believe the school can't do anything about it.
Youre right. The double standard set by the university is screaming in everyone’s face to see.

#3…sure agreement
#4…developing a plan for creatuon is different then creating…this development can last decades..weasle words..
#5..agree..weasle
#6…sure, agreement. But something that RU will “continue to do”..meaning it’s something they r already been doing
#7..weasel
#8 weasel
#9..sure agreement
10 sure agreement. But the protestors didn’t break any policies or laws..so why would they be disciplined?

Again, maybe Rutgers gave into 25% of the demands.??
#4 - it’s still agreement.
#6 - so the protestors asked for something they already had? Doubtful.
#7 - They agreed to hire a senior administrator who has cultural competency in and with Arab, Muslim,
and Palestinian communities

So by my count it's 55% and if you throw out #1 and #2 (they knew they were never getting those) it's a far higher percentage. Besides, wasn't it stated earlier in the thread that RU had agreed to nothing?

Considering how this continues to play out across the country, and even has spread to universities in other western countries, I think Rutgers gets an A for how they handled this.
Didn’t make any real concessions IMO, but gave just enough to get the encampment to pack up, without really committing to much at all.

#4 - it’s still agreement.
#6 - so the protestors asked for something they already had? Doubtful.
#7 - They agreed to hire a senior administrator who has cultural competency in and with Arab, Muslim,
and Palestinian communities

So by my count it's 55% and if you throw out #1 and #2 (they knew they were never getting those) it's a far higher percentage. Besides, wasn't it stated earlier in the thread that RU had agreed to nothing?
You need to read more critically, period. Or don't complain about that which you misunderstand.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

Disrupting final exams and the hate speech I’m sure is against policies. I imagine mass camping on campus without a permit is probably against some policy, code or law. But giving them a pass on discipline before it got out of hand was probably not a terrible move for now. I say for now because it may also embolden more in the future. But we don’t know for now.

• Haha
To be fair, smooth-dog seems acutely unaware of what he's conveying outwardly much of the time.
Shawn White should worry less about JDS and more about helping the football program achieve success

For the sixth time, when was the last time you attended a game?
Had season tickets?
Went to a watch party?
Donated to the R fund?
Contributed to NIL ?

Shawn White should worry less about JDS and more about helping the football program achieve success

For the sixth time, when was the last time you attended a game?
Had season tickets?
Went to a watch party?
Donated to the R fund?
Contributed to NIL ?
Not really sure your point there, bro-dog.

You clearly devote more of your leisure time than I to stuffing face and watching other people play sports. You seem to enjoy it, so good for you. Not sure it really makes you anything more than that - a guy who likes going to games - but congrats, I guess?

Fwiw, I watch every RU fb game on TV, with the added convenience of being able to watch numerous other games throughout the day. I assume a diehard fb fan can appreciate that. And if I happen to be away on RU game day, I'll tell other RU folks not to text, avoid the board and watch Asap on-demand.

I watch on-demand games for the remainder of the week, catching up on other good games I missed, given it's physically impossible to watch every cfb game on Sat.

I'd do more or less the same if I lived minutes down the road from RU, attending a game or two each season. Prefer game day at home, not really concerned if that makes me less of a super-amazing fanboy or not.

A small group of Princeton students are going on a hunger strike with 3 demands.....

- Divest from Israel
- Cultural Boycott
- Complete amnesty for all criminal charges

Cultural boycott? That would be a non starter right there.

Really? Why? Cause you said so? So if someone calls you a Stupid Wop you ok with that? There are short guys here....should we start referring to them as Midgets? Maybe we should just call each other Retards? Lets see how that works on a Rutgers community sports forum.

Ps.....I don't back down either. My motto has always been, you wanna go? Let's go.
I couldn’t care less what anyone calls me
I’ve been called far worse

You wana call me names?
Great - doesn’t affect my life one way or another

Not really sure your point there, bro-dog.

You clearly devote more of your leisure time than I to stuffing face and watching other people play sports. You seem to enjoy it, so good for you. Not sure it really makes you anything more than that - a guy who likes going to games - but congrats, I guess?

Fwiw, I watch every RU fb game on TV, with the added convenience of being able to watch numerous other games throughout the day. I assume a diehard fb fan can appreciate that. And if I happen to be away on RU game day, I'll tell other RU folks not to text, avoid the board and watch Asap on-demand.

I watch on-demand games for the remainder of the week, catching up on other good games I missed, given it's physically impossible to watch every cfb game on Sat.

I'd do more or less the same if I lived minutes down the road from RU, attending a game or two each season. Prefer game day at home, not really concerned if that makes me less of a super-amazing fanboy or not.
Awesome
To each his own

I enjoy good food
Live sports
Tailgating
And message boards

You enjoy cold weather
Snowboarding
And other hobbies

That’s what makes the world go around
Different people liking different things

A small group of Princeton students are going on a hunger strike with 3 demands.....

- Divest from Israel
- Cultural Boycott

Bon appetite

- Divest from Israel
- Cultural Boycott

So it looks like the real problem will work itself out then.
I hope people have a cookout in front of them

• Haha
Reactions: LETSGORU91
No, my point is intact.

You just wanted to complain. Lol that you had time to read and post on the forum but not a literal minute to read the actual response about which you were whining.

By submitting that response, RU paved the way to resume those normal functions you purport to care so much about. So, good job to them.

Next time, the correct response is "My bad." It'll save you a bunch of circular verbiage.
Incorrect but nice try. If what I posted in my OP is your definition of whining, you really don't know what whining is. I'm glad normal functions which I purported to care about so much have returned, but they should never have been disrupted in the first place. It's a pretty simple concept.

Of course they broke school policy. The stated purpose of the protest was to prevent the exams held in the buildings on Voorhees Mall from happening. A portion of them were ultimately postponed/cancelled.

Can you give evidence that that was the stated purpose of the protest? This is the first im hearing that was the purpose.

Can you give evidence that that was the stated purpose of the protest? This is the first im hearing that was the purpose.
They promoted the cause of disrupting school and exams within the social media call for the protest to expand

Reactions: bac2therac
Well, the school president posted this on the internet ...

"However, we were disappointed to learn that overnight, Students for Justice in Palestine called for a significant rally on the Voorhees Mall, coinciding with the beginning of the exam period, specifically intended to disrupt finals for our students. Buildings surrounding Voorhees Mall are the site of hundreds of exams during the finals period, and students are rightly concerned about their ability to take exams in this environment.

The morning rally disrupted 28 scheduled exams, impacting more than 1,000 students. While the protesters eventually responded to our request to cease their disruption, the disruption adversely impacted our students and University operations and forced our postponement announcement."

That sets a precedent for anyone in the future to protest something. Get a big enough group and RU will cave in. I'm curious to see what eight of ten Rutgers conceded. Are you telling me if I get a big enough group and raise enough stink, I can get the next 10 family members a scholarship to Rutgers? Sign me up.
Seriously, someone needs to track the costs of these payoffs.

Thanks for those links..was not aware.

Makes it even laughable since barely any were affected..idiots. lol.

No argument there. But you’re still wrong.

Lol, not only am I right on the point, I'm on the winning side of the greater argument ...the one that's not crying about events that are 1. Over and 2. Never had anything to do with them to begin with.

All win.

Lol, not only am I right on the point, I'm on the winning side of the greater argument ...the one that's not crying about events that are 1. Over and 2. Never had anything to do with them to begin with.

All win.
Keep telling yourself that.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT