ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Police activity on Voorhees mall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m flattered you follow my posts, but as I’ve said, countless times, we have a certain number in mind and then we will do so

Certainly not the Utah - nice place, but really our jam

When’s the last Rutgers game you attended?

The point, which I thought you'd have recognized by now, is more the excessive lip service. Move or don't, no one cares. No reason to make a big show about it 10 years in advance because it ain't difficult, regardless of job situation. You want out, go.

In fact, if you'd like, I can whip up an "Actually moving out of NJ and not talking excessively about it for a decade+" guide ...in the For Dummies format most comfortable to you?

Reactions: Kbee3
See, I actually say I don't care about what's happening 1,000s of miles away at universities with which I have absolutely zero affiliation and follow through. Don't follow UCLA or Columbia, don't care. As proof, those headlines have never even flirted with my algos from across the bar.

I only care about the RU one insomuch as it was a shining example of how to move on from a protest while respecting the Constitution and letylting students be students (i.e. protesting some critical cause they'll forget about by the time they sign a Summer '24 lease on a Belmar beach house). And yet, our own posters - the same who will cry and wagon-rally any time a newspaper says something critical about an R sports team - continue to use it to try to shame and smear their (and my) Alma mater (or not, in some cases).
Tremendous, and I’ve already said countless times, even though I don’t agree with all of it, I commend Rutgers for how they handled this, especially in light of the piss poor way the schools in New York and California handled it

I will agree with you that we do have a subset of posters will defend the program ad nauseam with regardless of obvious flaws

Some would call them sunshine pumpers, which is all well and fine, but if the sunshine pumpers and others don’t start writing checks, or if the corporations don’t get on board with NIL, expect to continue seeing mediocre results

Someone needs to claim the RU NIL personalized NJ license plate. Some great candidates around here. $$$$

I get the impression you don't like or accept protests. Well, this is America and here you don't need to like them, but you should understand they've been around for well over 200 years and will be around long after we're gone.

I don’t like protests either. I think everyone involved in them are losers and need a life..

That being said…again..I’m glad both sides came to an agreement and it ended quickly and positively,

I get the impression you don't like or accept protests. Well, this is America and here you don't need to like them, but you should understand they've been around for well over 200 years and will be around long after we're gone.
Well, you would be wrong.

Wouldn’t call what they did “caving”..more about coming to an agreement..which is a good thing. No disruptions, no violence, graduation not effected.

Again, great job.

Refusal to accept the first 2 demands makes this tough to call caving. But the question remains, what if those two are demanded again in the future? Those two are non-negotiable IMHO.

Refusal to accept the first 2 demands makes this tough to call caving. But the question remains, what if those two are demanded again in the future? Those two are non-negotiable IMHO.

Well Rutgers told them those demands are legal issues and they can’t do anything about those two demands. So I’d hope it’s not demanded again.

I don’t like protests either. I think everyone involved in them are losers and need a life..

That being said…again..I’m glad both sides came to an agreement and it ended quickly and positively,
It’s pretty much a hostage situation. We are going to stay encamped here until we cause problems/disruptions unless you give us what we want.

It’s pretty much a hostage situation. We are going to stay encamped here until we cause problems/disruptions unless you give us what we want.

But Rutgers didn’t give them what they wanted. Rutgers agreeed to none of their demands. They did agree to “look into” 8 of the 10.

Way before my time so no clue..probably not though.
Contrary to popular opinion I wasn't around for the Women's Suffrage marches and protests either but was for the Civil Rights movement. A lot of folks complained about that just like we see today but it eventually it changed enough minds.

That's not to say the protests we've had the past weeks are comparable to either of those because to me they're not. Just saying some movements do bring about positive change.

Reactions: Kbee3
I don’t see anywhere where it states they will “look into” 2 - 8. Looks like agreement to me.

https://newbrunswick.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/2024-05/response_05022024_2.pdf
If we're getting that granular, howsabout "will continue," "will work to," "will revisit," "will take stock" ...

Meaningless corporate-speak at its finest – doesn't actually concede what you asked for but is constructed in a way that makes you feel you don't really have grounds to push the point any further at this time.

Well, the protests did disrupt some final exams which would’ve been irritating to a bunch of students many of whom who were likely uninvolved bystanders. But a protest that causes no disruptions is probably gonna be a failed protest.
The protest was within their free speech rights until they stated they intended to disrupt exams and proceeded to hold a peaceful, but relatively loud (Bullhorns) rally right outside a building that was hosting exams.

At that moment they went from exercising their rights to impeding someone else's. The Admin did the right thing and stated exactly that with a deadline for compliance or there would be consequences. The "agreement" was simply a carrot to allow the protest leaders to talk their more militant peers from trying to force a confrontation. Admin has no desire to see a confrontation, so agreeing to "Look into and discuss" some of the demands was a painless de-escalation.

As a jew I hate the language and messages being used, but as an American, I also believe strongly in the concept of individual rights.

If we're getting that granular, howsabout "will continue," "will work to," "will revisit," "will take stock" ...

Meaningless corporate-speak at its finest – doesn't actually concede what you asked for but is constructed in a way that makes you feel you don't really have grounds to push the point any further at this time.

Exactly this..

RU admin is much smarter than the protestors. And chose their words here very carefully,

I’m unfamiliar with the 1995 halftime debacle vs umass…

More than 150 students took over the polished basketball court of Rutgers University tonight, cutting short a sold-out game to demand the resignation of the university president, Francis L. Lawrence.

It was the third time in 22 years that a Rutgers game was suspended because of a protest. Student protesters took to the floor because they were angered by Mr. Lawrence's controversial remarks to faculty members last November that referred to disadvantaged students who lacked "the genetic, hereditary background" to score well on college admission tests.

The game, against the fourth-ranked University of Massachusetts, was interrupted just before the second half, around 9:10 P.M. One young woman walked to halfcourt, sat in the middle of the floor and others soon joined in, until almost the entire court was filled with students, most of them black.

While the students chanted "Hey, hey, ho, ho, Francis Lawrence has got to go," fans in the stands reacted with boos and a smattering of their own cheers.

Mr. Lawrence was not at the game and school officials made the decision to allow the students to wage their protest without arrest.

Uniformed campus police officers stood by, ordering fans in the crowd and some of the demonstrators to relax when they started shouting at each other.

The mood of the crowd in the stands alternated between irritation and anger, sadness and regret.

"You're wrong! You're wrong!" a fan screamed at the demonstrators. "I support Lawrence. He is not a racist."

The crowd's loudest roar was the chant of "Let's play ball! Let's play ball!"

Some of the demonstrators, holding white sheets painted with slogans, tried to persuade the fans that their cause was right. "You think this game is more important than this?" a demonstrator shouted to the crowd.
The decision to suspend the game came at 9:39 P.M. Linda Bruno, the Commissioner of the Atlantic 10 Conference, to which Rutgers and Massachusetts belong, consulted with the coaches and athletic directors from both schools. University officials said they did not know whether the game would be resumed and played to the finish. Rutgers was leading by two points at halftime, 31-29.

The demonstration apparently was organized on Monday night by several hundred students calling themselves the United Students Coalition. Several demonstrators said some of the Rutgers basketball players participated in that meeting.

When demonstrators took over the court, both teams were sent to their locker rooms. University officials tried to intercede with the demonstrators, asking if they would leave after making a statement over a microphone. Some of the students said that they were waiting for a signal from the basketball players and would have left the court if they had come out of their locker rooms.

The two students who appeared to be leaders of the demonstration refused to comment. But the students have written an eight-point list of demands, including the immediate dismissal of Mr. Lawrence, more money for minority student recruitment, a tuition roll-back and the removal of the Scholastic Assessment Test as a requirement for admission.

A rally was planned for Wednesday.

Roselle Wilson, vice president for student affairs, said she thought the incident probably had an unfavorable impact on the students who had come to watch the game.
"I think there were a lot of students who wanted to see the rest of the game," she said. "These are students who understand what's going on."

Fans filed quietly out of the stadium after an official announced the suspension of the game.

"This action has added to the damage that has come out of this whole incident," said Elia Pelios, a third-year Rutgers law student.

The demonstration followed eight days of protests in connection with Mr. Lawrence's remarks to faculty members last November.

Mr. Lawrence later disavowed the remark, explaining that he had jumbled his words and did not believe that hereditary factors determine ability and achievement. Since his remarks were published on Jan. 31, Mr. Lawrence has met daily with student and faculty groups to deliver his apology personally.

But the issue has split the campus on generational lines, with younger students being much less forgiving than faculty members who were aware of Mr. Lawrence's efforts to increase minority student enrollment at Rutgers and at his previous post at Tulane University in New Orleans.

When Mr. Lawrence made his remarks at a faculty senate meeting last November at Rutgers's Camden campus, no one noticed. He was discussing the issue of post-tenure review and the need for accountability, when he digressed to college admissions tests.

"The average S.A.T.'s for African-Americans is 750," he said at the meeting. "Do we set standards in the future so we don't admit anybody? Or do we deal with a disadvantaged population that doesn't have that genetic, hereditary background to have a higher average? So you've got to respond from a different direction to the different issues and they're out there."

More than 150 students took over the polished basketball court of Rutgers University tonight, cutting short a sold-out game to demand the resignation of the university president, Francis L. Lawrence.

It was the third time in 22 years that a Rutgers game was suspended because of a protest. Student protesters took to the floor because they were angered by Mr. Lawrence's controversial remarks to faculty members last November that referred to disadvantaged students who lacked "the genetic, hereditary background" to score well on college admission tests.

The game, against the fourth-ranked University of Massachusetts, was interrupted just before the second half, around 9:10 P.M. One young woman walked to halfcourt, sat in the middle of the floor and others soon joined in, until almost the entire court was filled with students, most of them black.

While the students chanted "Hey, hey, ho, ho, Francis Lawrence has got to go," fans in the stands reacted with boos and a smattering of their own cheers.

Mr. Lawrence was not at the game and school officials made the decision to allow the students to wage their protest without arrest.

Uniformed campus police officers stood by, ordering fans in the crowd and some of the demonstrators to relax when they started shouting at each other.

The mood of the crowd in the stands alternated between irritation and anger, sadness and regret.

"You're wrong! You're wrong!" a fan screamed at the demonstrators. "I support Lawrence. He is not a racist."

Some of the demonstrators, holding white sheets painted with slogans, tried to persuade the fans that their cause was right. "You think this game is more important than this?" a demonstrator shouted to the crowd.
The decision to suspend the game came at 9:39 P.M. Linda Bruno, the Commissioner of the Atlantic 10 Conference, to which Rutgers and Massachusetts belong, consulted with the coaches and athletic directors from both schools. University officials said they did not know whether the game would be resumed and played to the finish. Rutgers was leading by two points at halftime, 31-29.

The demonstration apparently was organized on Monday night by several hundred students calling themselves the United Students Coalition. Several demonstrators said some of the Rutgers basketball players participated in that meeting.

When demonstrators took over the court, both teams were sent to their locker rooms. University officials tried to intercede with the demonstrators, asking if they would leave after making a statement over a microphone. Some of the students said that they were waiting for a signal from the basketball players and would have left the court if they had come out of their locker rooms.

The two students who appeared to be leaders of the demonstration refused to comment. But the students have written an eight-point list of demands, including the immediate dismissal of Mr. Lawrence, more money for minority student recruitment, a tuition roll-back and the removal of the Scholastic Assessment Test as a requirement for admission.

Roselle Wilson, vice president for student affairs, said she thought the incident probably had an unfavorable impact on the students who had come to watch the game.
"I think there were a lot of students who wanted to see the rest of the game," she said. "These are students who understand what's going on."

Fans filed quietly out of the stadium after an official announced the suspension of the game.

"This action has added to the damage that has come out of this whole incident," said Elia Pelios, a third-year Rutgers law student.

The demonstration followed eight days of protests in connection with Mr. Lawrence's remarks to faculty members last November.

Mr. Lawrence later disavowed the remark, explaining that he had jumbled his words and did not believe that hereditary factors determine ability and achievement. Since his remarks were published on Jan. 31, Mr. Lawrence has met daily with student and faculty groups to deliver his apology personally.

But the issue has split the campus on generational lines, with younger students being much less forgiving than faculty members who were aware of Mr. Lawrence's efforts to increase minority student enrollment at Rutgers and at his previous post at Tulane University in New Orleans.

When Mr. Lawrence made his remarks at a faculty senate meeting last November at Rutgers's Camden campus, no one noticed. He was discussing the issue of post-tenure review and the need for accountability, when he digressed to college admissions tests.

"The average S.A.T.'s for African-Americans is 750," he said at the meeting. "Do we set standards in the future so we don't admit anybody? Or do we deal with a disadvantaged population that doesn't have that genetic, hereditary background to have a higher average? So you've got to respond from a different direction to the different issues and they're out there."

This is different then this weeks protestors. This protest should not have been allowed because your e not allowed to go on the court at a basketball game,
RU admin didn’t handle this one correctly…protestors should have been punished.

I was there in 118.

Reactions: AdventureHasAName
Was brutal
Had em on the ropes and the jackasses ruined it
Dude cmon now, I think it was a single digit game in the first half. I was there. Let’s not rewrite history. I remember chicken cutlets Kolbo throwing down a breakaway dunk though.

Exactly this..

RU admin is much smarter than the protestors. And chose their words here very carefully,
So now the protestors that were supposedly going to teach folks here how to negotiate a deal have apparently been lied to. If so, then kudos to the RU administration.

Dude cmon now, I think it was a single digit game in the first half. I was there. Let’s not rewrite history. I remember chicken cutlets Kolbo throwing down a breakaway dunk though.
The place was jumping, but they likely woukd have pulled away

So now the protestors that were supposedly going to teach folks here how to negotiate a deal have apparently been lied to. If so, then kudos to the RU administration.

No one’s been lied to.

Rutgers literally responded to their demands in writing..and the protestors liked what they saw and took the deal.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The place was jumping, but they likely woukd have pulled away
Didn’t they have to vacate that year, Final Four appearance and all? So maybe we won anyway? 😁 I remember that game was resumed later at the Spectrum in Philly and we got crushed. What a mess.

Exactly this..

#3 - This is agreement "Rutgers University has a close partnership with Scholar Connections and will work with a committee of students, faculty, and staff to implement support for 10 displaced Palestinian students to finish their education at Rutgers."
#4 -
again agreement. "We will develop a plan for the creation of an Arab Cultural Center with designated physical space and a hiring plan for administrators and staff by the start of Fall 2024 semester at New Brunswick."
#5 -
I agree, weasel words. "Rutgers-New Brunswick will revisit and follow up on the relationship established in 2022 with Birzeit University to explore avenues of research collaboration and scholarly exchange, and the feasibility of student exchange and/or study abroad through RU Global Studies"
#6 -
This is agreement. "The Chancellor will continue to name Palestine, Palestinians, and Gaza in future communications."
#7 - 1/2 weasel and 1/2 agreement "Rutgers–New Brunswick will work to develop training sessions on anti-Palestinian, antiArab, and anti-Muslim racism for all RU administrators & staff. We also commit to the hiring of a senior administrator who has cultural competency in and with Arab, Muslim, and Palestinian communities in the Division of Diversity, Inclusion, and Community."
#8 -
Weasel words. "The Office of the Chancellor will convene a working group to conduct a feasibility study for the creation of a Department of Middle East Studies and hire faculty. The first task of the committee is to identify gaps in the current faculty and make recommendations."
#9 -
this is agreement. "The Office of the Chancellor will take stock of flags that are displayed across RutgersNew Brunswick campus, and ensure appropriate representation of students enrolled in academic and other spaces"
#10 -
this is agreement. "No member of the Rutgers–New Brunswick community-including faculty, staff, graduate students, undergraduate students, or alumni-found to have been involved in the encampment or related activity will face retaliation from the University, including termination of employment or reduction in compensation. Retaliation shall be defined as any adverse action outside of normal business practices taken for the sole reason that the individual was involved in the encampment activities. Individual students who have been involved in any activities related to the encampment or support of the encampment, including presence in the encampment area, remain subject to the procedures of the Code of Student Conduct as communicated by the Office of Student Conduct. The commitment to end the encampment through this agreement will be considered a favorable mitigating factor in the resolution of those matters. This agreement further recognizes that reports of bias, harassment or discrimination must continue to be investigated by the appropriate offices. This agreement does not pertain to Code of Student Conduct violations that occur or come to be known after this agreement, nor shall the review and resolution of any such individual conduct matters alter or invalidate this agreement."

#3 - This is agreement "Rutgers University has a close partnership with Scholar Connections and will work with a committee of students, faculty, and staff to implement support for 10 displaced Palestinian students to finish their education at Rutgers."
#4 -
again agreement. "We will develop a plan for the creation of an Arab Cultural Center with designated physical space and a hiring plan for administrators and staff by the start of Fall 2024 semester at New Brunswick."
#5 -
I agree, weasel words. "Rutgers-New Brunswick will revisit and follow up on the relationship established in 2022 with Birzeit University to explore avenues of research collaboration and scholarly exchange, and the feasibility of student exchange and/or study abroad through RU Global Studies"
#6 -
This is agreement. "The Chancellor will continue to name Palestine, Palestinians, and Gaza in future communications."
#7 - 1/2 weasel and 1/2 agreement "Rutgers–New Brunswick will work to develop training sessions on anti-Palestinian, antiArab, and anti-Muslim racism for all RU administrators & staff. We also commit to the hiring of a senior administrator who has cultural competency in and with Arab, Muslim, and Palestinian communities in the Division of Diversity, Inclusion, and Community."
#8 -
Weasel words. "The Office of the Chancellor will convene a working group to conduct a feasibility study for the creation of a Department of Middle East Studies and hire faculty. The first task of the committee is to identify gaps in the current faculty and make recommendations."
#9 -
this is agreement. "The Office of the Chancellor will take stock of flags that are displayed across RutgersNew Brunswick campus, and ensure appropriate representation of students enrolled in academic and other spaces"
#10 -
this is agreement. "No member of the Rutgers–New Brunswick community-including faculty, staff, graduate students, undergraduate students, or alumni-found to have been involved in the encampment or related activity will face retaliation from the University, including termination of employment or reduction in compensation. Retaliation shall be defined as any adverse action outside of normal business practices taken for the sole reason that the individual was involved in the encampment activities. Individual students who have been involved in any activities related to the encampment or support of the encampment, including presence in the encampment area, remain subject to the procedures of the Code of Student Conduct as communicated by the Office of Student Conduct. The commitment to end the encampment through this agreement will be considered a favorable mitigating factor in the resolution of those matters. This agreement further recognizes that reports of bias, harassment or discrimination must continue to be investigated by the appropriate offices. This agreement does not pertain to Code of Student Conduct violations that occur or come to be known after this agreement, nor shall the review and resolution of any such individual conduct matters alter or invalidate this agreement."

#3…sure agreement
#4…developing a plan for creatuon is different then creating…this development can last decades..weasle words..
#5..agree..weasle
#6…sure, agreement. But something that RU will “continue to do”..meaning it’s something they r already been doing
#7..weasel
#8 weasel
#9..sure agreement
10 sure agreement. But the protestors didn’t break any policies or laws..so why would they be disciplined?

Again, maybe Rutgers gave into 25% of the demands.??

Thankfully language allows for far more possibilities than that false dichotomy you're presenting.

#3…sure agreement
#4…developing a plan for creatuon is different then creating…this development can last decades..weasle words..
#5..agree..weasle
#6…sure, agreement. But something that RU will “continue to do”..meaning it’s something they r already been doing
#7..weasel
#8 weasel
#9..sure agreement
10 sure agreement. But the protestors didn’t break any policies or laws..so why would they be disciplined?

Again, maybe Rutgers gave into 25% of the demands.??

Besides an indefinite prep phase, a plan is just a plan - doesn't mean it will ever happen (or that they have any intention of making it happen).

And even if they have no intention to follow through, that's not lying. It's saying you'll make a plan.

Not sure why it's a negative that they agreed to taking on displaced students or not retaliate for actions within that very tightly legalese-like definition.

It's what they would have done, anyway. They can't legally retaliate simply for participation in the protests. They stated clearly that violations of law or student code are still subject to investigation and punishment.

I mean…all I’ve been seeing is positive reaction. Only a few posters here calling what happened an embarrassment.

But to each his own I guess
Don’t interact with Cali. Most don’t anymore. You have been more than fair and reasonable in this thread as has Rutgers with this protest. In my view, they handled this the best way they could. That said, I think the encampment there was more docile than at the other campuses.

You do understand the concept of free speech, right ?
What does criminal law or school policy have to do with the peaceful protests being justified ?
The protests disrupted the final exams for over 1,000 students. This is clearly a significant disruption. The Tinker test on this is not free speech but a disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT