ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Snow Thread For Feb 6th & 7th Super Bowl Sunday

18z NAM is in and it is a bit further south with the track then previous runs. It keeps south jersey nearly all snow with little to no mixing issues. We'll be watching for dry slot potential as the storm battles dry air on Sunday

146247204_3836667126376845_7023531639232260029_o.jpg

So the 12Z models looked a smidgen less snowy than last night's 0Z models with a general 3-6" for the 95 corridor from Philly to NYC on most models and 2-3" NW of 95 and then either 1-2" or 4-6" at the coast, depending on if the model is seeing a big chunk of the precip as rain or not (a split there)...with the exception of the NAM, which is showing a 6-8" snowfall for just about everyone.

Big question for the NWS is whether this decrease is enough to convert the warnings to advisories or not, especially for Mercer/Monmouth and northward where the warning criterion is 6". It's 50/50 to me, since backing off sends a signal that it's a less impactful storm, and if only 4-5" falls in a warning area, the impact isn't that much different from 6", especially with temps below 32F at the start of the snow (by 6 am) and for most of the event, meaning the snow will accumulate easily on untreated paved surfaces. Plus, the models only have to be off by a little bit for the actual snowfall to reach 6" in those areas. For the 95 corridor SW of Trenton, I think they'll keep the warnings as the criterion is only 4" of snow. We'll see soon enough.

We have our answer. Not surprised they kept the warnings, as they now have essentially 4-6" for south of 276/195, which is still at the warning criterion (4" - and they added Ocean to the warning area) and 5-7" N of 276/195 in PA/NJ (except well NW), which is also at the warning criterion (6") and NWS-NYC went with 4-8" for NENJ/NYC metro, which again is right at the 6" criterion (and 6-9" for the eastern half of LI and coastal CT). They may end up being a little high, but for what they forecast, I agree with their warnings/advisories.

Hey @WhiteBus - this is the pre-event forecast I'd go with for "assessment" of how well the NWS does. They list Philly as 5" now, which seems reasonable (maybe an inch above consensus, but the pros see a lot more than the models). We'll see. Been thinking all along we'd get about 6" at my house, so I'll stick with that, which also happens to be what the NWS map shows.

si5X3PT.png

gw0SO1a.png

zfxyZeO.png

rvNL9cY.png

Last edited:
We have our answer. Not surprised they kept the warnings, as they now have essentially 4-6" for south of 276/195, which is still at the warning criterion (4" - and they added Ocean to the warning area) and 5-7" N of 276/195 in PA/NJ (except well NW), which is also at the warning criterion (6") and NWS-NYC went with 4-8" for NENJ/NYC metro, which again is right at the 6" criterion (and 6-9" for the eastern half of LI and coastal CT). They may end up being a little high, but for what they forecast, I agree with their warnings/advisories.

Hey @WhiteBus - this is the pre-event forecast I'd go with for "assessment" of how well the NWS does. They list Philly as 5" now, which seems reasonable (maybe an inch above consensus, but the pros see a lot more than the models). We'll see. Been thinking all along we'd get about 6" at my house, so I'll stick with that, which also happens to be what the NWS map shows.

si5X3PT.png

rvNL9cY.png
Ok. 5 is the target. Local news was 3-6 this morning. I'll try to catch it at 6pm but watching golf. So I'll even go with anything under 4 here is a bust, and they still can't figure this area. Going to add Wilmington DE too. They are in the same path as Philly. Never get them right either.
Deep frying turkey tomorrow out back for turkey club sandwiches and will make some pomme frites. Fryer is undercover so no worries there but would like to enjoy a cigar at least.

Ok. 5 is the target. Local news was 3-6 this morning. I'll try to catch it at 6pm but watching golf. So I'll even go with anything under 4 here is a bust, and they still can't figure this area. Going to add Wilmington DE too. They are in the same path as Philly. Never get them right either.
Deep frying turkey tomorrow out back for turkey club sandwiches and will make some pomme frites. Fryer is undercover so no worries there but would like to enjoy a cigar at least.
Snow should be over for you by about 3-4 pm, so plenty of time for cooking and a cigar - enjoy. We're doing low-tech, low-energy, tacky freezer delight for the game: pigs-n-blankets, mini-quiches, potato skins, dumplings, etc.

Reactions: Jm0513
It seems like the NWS started out more bullish on this one like they have been doing minus the last storm. I like they way they did the last storm better.

Michelle Powers News 12 New Brunswick 4.2 inches

I'm thing 4.5 here in Hillsborough

If we use ~ I-78 and ~195 as the dividing lines...Allaire is Central and *Toms River is South.

* That south into Ocean and you are on South Jersey.
I always use 539 (with Trenton on the "south" side) to 72, for separating "north" vs."south" as that divides things more along distance from Philly vs. NYC, which is really what separates north from south in NJ. And then for CNJ I go up to about 78.

If we use ~ I-78 and ~195 as the dividing lines...Allaire is Central and *Toms River is South.

I've been to Toms River and my impression is that it's Yankees/ Giants country. That makes it central Jersey . By comparison, Long Beach Island not far to the southis Philies/Eagles country.

I always use 539 (with Trenton on the "south" side) to 72, for separating "north" vs."south" as that divides things more along distance from Philly vs. NYC, which is really what separates north from south in NJ. And then for CNJ I go up to about 78.

The Census Bureau used to include Mercer County in the "consolidated Philadelphia metropolitan area. Now Princeton and Trenton are considered their own metropolitan area. The Philadelphia area starts contiguous to there. The classifications are based on in part on ommuting patterns. BTW, the Philadelphia area includes Wilmington and even the northmost county in Maryland. https://censusreporter.org/profiles...hia-camden-wilmington-pa-nj-de-md-metro-area/

He is Manasquan and I'm in Spring Lake Heights. We are both in Monmouth.

UPS loves me more than him and @Knight Shift when it comes to our Season Tickets delivery schedule. 😎
Actually I know he is in Squan. I've been trying to get him and @Source to meet up at Leggetts for years. I was saying I dont know if any posters are along the beach towns in Ocean County.

18z gfs was 2-5 inches
Minor difference, but I'd say more like 3-5" for anyone near/along 95 and the entire area SE to the coast, with <3" only well N/W of 95, i.e., Sussex/Warren in NJ and the Poconos/Lehigh Valley in PA. The NAM is obviously more (4-7" for most), as is the HRDPS (3-6" for most), while the RGEM is 3-5" for most.

Still think 3-6" with potential for 7-8" where heavier bands set up is a good call for most of the area (including the coast) and 2-4" for well N/W of 95. NWS might be a tad high, but then again, they're better at this than most, usually.

3886F5E9-8072-497E-A43F-02DC19FE0E45.png.15ee3a288f6269b339309f1eae387ec2.png

Local news went up to 4-6 so under 4 is a confirmed a whiff.

UPS loves me more than him and @Knight Shift when it comes to our Season Tickets delivery schedule. 😎
NWS now has everyone at the coast from Asbury Park down to Toms River at 3-5" of snow (and 3-7" of snow from AP to Sandy Hook) with amounts decreasing from there to LBI down to 1-2" and 1" or less from AC to Cape May, but with amounts climbing rapidly to 2-4" just 10 miles NW of AC in Mays Landing. But as I said bust potential due to rain is very high anywhere within a few miles of the coast, especially south of about Asbury Park.

Reactions: knightfan7

@Source is like the wind. Blows in and blows out
Actually I know he is in Squan. I've been trying to get him and @Source to meet up at Leggetts for years. I was saying I dont know if any posters are along the beach towns in Ocean County.

@Source is like the wind, blows in and blows out. Never know when he'll be here and which direction he's going.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
I've been to Toms River and my impression is that it's Yankees/ Giants country. That makes it central Jersey . By comparison, Long Beach Island not far to the southis Philies/Eagles country.
Yes. Until cable Ocean County was solidly NY stations. NY Press. Never saw a Philly paper in Ocean County. When cable came around some of the western parts got both NY and Philly local channels. Now Tom's River has both too.

The State is about 170 miles long so if you are using the 3 markers of north, central and south that makes Tuckerton and below south, Manahawkin to Middletown central and above that north. That is pure geography. Culturally it is an entirely different definition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT