ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tropics more active...Florence to make NC/SC landfall on 9/14

One difficult question for people near the coast and inland is, "where do I evacuate to" in the face of such uncertainty, post landfall?" That's a great question given the spread in potential locations for the likely catastrophic 10-20" or more torrential inland rains. To be safe, places like Atlanta and Richmond come to mind or maybe as far NW as Asheville. Or hope for better definition today/tonight and then decide.

I remember last year with Irma, telling my dad to not evacuate from Vero Beach on the east coast of FL, which looked to be in the track crosshairs 3 days out, to Tampa on the west coast, as the uncertainty cone was too large and he could afford to decide 24-30 hours in advance of any landfall. So he stayed put and Irma ended up going up the west coast of FL instead of the east coast. He was quite happy with that decision, having lived through Jeanne and Francis in Vero (and vowing never to do that again).

Mrs. RUinPinehurst's family resides around Topsail Island/Hampstead. They've finally indicated a willingness to head inland and are going to North Wilkesboro to a relative's place. That's a great relief to the Mrs. We're still in wait-and-see mode thru tomorrow morning/afternoon here in Pinehurst. Lots of trees around us and with likelyhood of high winds and heavy stationary rain for days will likely send us scurrying. But where to is TBD.

Mrs. RUinPinehurst's family resides around Topsail Island/Hampstead. They've finally indicated a willingness to head inland and are going to North Wilkesboro to a relative's place. That's a great relief to the Mrs. We're still in wait-and-see mode thru tomorrow morning/afternoon here in Pinehurst. Lots of trees around us and with likelyhood of high winds and heavy stationary rain for days will likely send us scurrying. But where to is TBD.

Same boat in western Wake County (Cary, NC). 24 hours ago, we were resigned to head out tonight to ATL, late last night, we reconsidered and thought in place might work (given rain band projections), and now we are again thinking we need to get going. Final decision will come in about 10 hours as we need to drive overnight tonight to avoid what (I suspect) will otherwise be chaos on the highways starting tomorrow

Same boat in western Wake County (Cary, NC). 24 hours ago, we were resigned to head out tonight to ATL, late last night, we reconsidered and thought in place might work (given rain band projections), and now we are again thinking we need to get going. Final decision will come in about 10 hours as we need to drive overnight tonight to avoid what (I suspect) will otherwise be chaos on the highways starting tomorrow

We lived in Cary when Fran hit there. Trees down all over. Power out for five days. Mrs. was at a corporate golf junket in Pebble Beach, while I hunkered down. At that time we also had a home on Topsail, too. It came thru Fran ok. But devastated the area.

Flo is on a similar track but is stronger and will drop more rain.

Well, models are supposed to converge on a solution as one gets closer to the endpoint/event (that's why a 1 hour forecast is usually nearly perfect). While we saw actual divergence last night, I'm hoping this afternoon's models will converge some and we'll see even better consensus tonight (the main models come out roughly around 1 pm and 1 am each day), which will help people decide if, where, and when to go. If you can afford to wait until late tonight or early tomorrow, I'd advise doing so, so you don't have to move again. Good luck and stay safe.

I live in the Charlotte area. yesterday we were in the 2-4 inch rain totals, now I have seen on the TWC 8-12 inch range. This storm path will change several more times before the weekend. With that said, I would get out of that Triad area, given how easy it floods there. Good luck and safe travels.

Evacuating from Corolla today - visitors are required to evacuate today and residents on Wednesday.

They said they are blaring up houses but I don’t see anyone doing that

Last night's 00Z models (7 pm EST data inputs) have diverged somewhat near and after landfall, i.e., at 72 hours out and beyond, as per the discussion below. The NHC didn't make major changes, as I kind of expected - I think they're hoping to see more consensus today.

For now, the NHC 5 am advisory shows a track a little to the SW of where it was last night with landfall of a Cat 4 hurricane with 130-140 mph winds about 10-20 miles SW of where it was, i.e., about 10 miles SW of Jacksonville, NC vs. 10 miles NE of Jacksonville at 11 pm last night. Landfall was also slowed down a bit, from late Thursday night until very early Friday morning (1-3 am), with Florence weakening fairly rapidly to a weak TS within a day, but still producing huge amounts of rain.

In addition the new advisory has Florence moving a bit further SW after landfall, slowing and then nearly stalling by Sunday morning around Greensboro, NC, vs. being about 30-40 miles NE of Greensboro, at the NC/VA border, last night at that time. This has significant impacts on where the torrential 10-20"+ rains will be, obviously.

With regard to the 00Z models, the Euro moves back to a Wilmington, NC landfall (was there for several runs, earlier; was 40 miles SE of there last run), while the UK remains about the same with a Morehead City, NC landfall; the UK then takes Florence inland 150-200 miles into north central NC, where the storm slows/stalls, while the Euro, which was doing the same thing for days, now takes Florence along the NC coast, just inland for 2 days, moving SE into SC and then towards Augusta, GA - that's a big departure for the Euro.

The GFS and CMC both continue with the idea of bringing Florence to almost the exact same point as the Euro/UK, just offshore the OBX, but then both models stall the storm there and have it meander around the OBX for several days before finally making landfall and moving inland and dissipating. Also, note that the "new and improved," but still experimenta FV3-GFS, looks very similar to the Euro, with landfall near Wilmington and then a move inland, slowly towards NE SC/Augusta, GA.

These two camps aren't really that different in the big picture - they just stall at different times, but clearly the impacts would be very different, with all of the models hammering the coast and just inland for awhile, while they all do fairly different things after that, meaning the location of the torrential rains is still greatly in question. That's why people from the NE half of SC to all of NC to much of VA need to keep watching, since Florence's track, post landfall is so much in question - and which is why the NHC didn't really shrink the track error bars near/after landfall, as I kind of expected given the model spread.

The NHC track is below and here are the forecast positions/winds:

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 11/0900Z 26.4N 64.1W 120 KT 140 MPH
12H 11/1800Z 27.2N 66.4W 125 KT 145 MPH
24H 12/0600Z 28.7N 69.4W 130 KT 150 MPH
36H 12/1800Z 30.5N 72.2W 130 KT 150 MPH
48H 13/0600Z 32.2N 74.5W 125 KT 145 MPH
72H 14/0600Z 34.3N 77.1W 115 KT 130 MPH
96H 15/0600Z 35.2N 78.0W 45 KT 50 MPH...INLAND
120H 16/0600Z 36.0N 79.0W 25 KT 30 MPH...INLAND

41642477_10214634179362201_1183262635349508096_n.jpg

NHC 11 am advisory still has Florence as a 130 mph storm (downgraded at 8 am from 140 mph), but current hurricane hunters are finding higher winds and the satellite presentation looks "better" again, so expect the winds to be increased again, as per the official forecast which has the storm going back up to 150 mph. However, the NHC now thinks Florence will weaken a bit just before landfall to maybe 120-130 mph.

The NHC track, below, has been nudged very slightly to the SW again, especially after landfall, when the storm is still expected to slow, then stall in central NC, with rapid weakening by Sunday morning to a depression, ust south of Greensboro, but while the winds will be down, the rains will be torrential. However, the track is still highly uncertain after landfall and today's model runs will hopefully decrease that uncertainty, which would be helpful for those evacuating from the coast.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS
INIT 11/1500Z 26.7N 65.3W 115 KT 130 MPH
12H 12/0000Z 27.7N 67.6W 120 KT 140 MPH
24H 12/1200Z 29.4N 70.6W 130 KT 150 MPH
36H 13/0000Z 31.1N 73.1W 130 KT 150 MPH
48H 13/1200Z 32.6N 75.2W 120 KT 140 MPH
72H 14/1200Z 34.2N 77.1W 105 KT 120 MPH
96H 15/1200Z 35.0N 78.1W 40 KT 45 MPH...INLAND
120H 16/1200Z 35.5N 79.5W 25 KT 30 MPH...INLAND

41534351_10214635286389876_5947403800758190080_n.jpg

Reactions: cicero grimes
The governor of South Carolina removed the evacuation order for Beaufort County. That includes Hilton Head. It appears we will be outside the cone of the hurricane.

those weather guys who get on camera during Hurricanes and tell everyone to stay away.. any of them die or lose a limb or an eye in one of those? what about thee camera crews?

replace them with robotic cameras already

All good info here.
I hate to say it but when I see a forecast like this I say better them than us. I know it’s not right because this looks devestating.

those weather guys who get on camera during Hurricanes and tell everyone to stay away.. any of them die or lose a limb or an eye in one of those? what about thee camera crews?

replace them with robotic cameras already

Several chasers died a few years back in an OK tornado; during that same storm a Weather Channel crew including Mike Bettes tried to outrun the tornado and lost that race and had their SUV thrown a few hundred yards, but they survived with minor injuries, miraculously (only TWC injuries in the field). The problem is cameras aren't what's needed - chasers use highly specialized mobile radars that can't be loaded onto a drone (yet).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...declined-to-back-away/?utm_term=.07a70fa4c336

Several chasers died a few years back in an OK tornado; during that same storm a Weather Channel crew including Mike Bettes tried to outrun the tornado and lost that race and had their SUV thrown a few hundred yards, but they survived with minor injuries, miraculously (only TWC injuries in the field). The problem is cameras aren't what's needed - chasers use highly specialized mobile radars that can't be loaded onto a drone (yet).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...declined-to-back-away/?utm_term=.07a70fa4c336

That's tornadoes.. this is a hurricane. Certainly robotic cameras could be used.

Also.. now that I think about it, self driving cars are basically robots. Certainly you could build one that can handle the specialized radars.

My wife’s siblings live in Durham. I am very concerned with them getting massive flooding this weekend.

That's tornadoes.. this is a hurricane. Certainly robotic cameras could be used.

Also.. now that I think about it, self driving cars are basically robots. Certainly you could build one that can handle the specialized radars.

Robots aren't very good reporters.

I don't understand your beef with this. It's not like Cantore doesn't understand the risks - he does, probably more than anyone. This is what he does. It ain't botherin' you.

Central NC is going to be like Houston last year where Harvey hung around for days.

This is incorrect. Houston is considerably closer to open water, is very low-lying and has an innate inability to drain water due to the soil composition. The situations are night and day.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
How is it that they can determine whether the storm will stall out over land (I understand that storms do slow down with landfall) versus continuing to move on through?

This is incorrect. Houston is considerably closer to open water, is very low-lying and has an innate inability to drain water due to the soil composition. The situations are night and day.

All true, but anywhere that gets 10-20" or more of rain (still not clear where yet, especially inland) on top of already saturated conditions with significant topographical features and numerous streams/rivers that can funnel much of the water to specific places could be in Matthew-like (2016 in NC) or possibly even Harvey-like flooding, even though 20" isn't 40".

How is it that they can determine whether the storm will stall out over land (I understand that storms do slow down with landfall) versus continuing to move on through?

Most storms don't actually slow down with landfall, especially north of the tropics, where storms often get caught up in mid-latitude troughs that accelerate them as they move N or NE. This one just happens to be landfalling into a giant enveloping mass of anomalously high pressure that won't let the storm "escape" like most east coast storms north of Florida do. This storm is extraordinarily unique - no other storm has hit the US from where it was 6-7 days ago and it's unusual to see a storm north of Florida stall like this.

We'll ya tried Moose. LOL

All true, but anywhere that gets 10-20" or more of rain (still not clear where yet, especially inland) on top of already saturated conditions with significant topographical features and numerous streams/rivers that can funnel much of the water to specific places could be in Matthew-like (2016 in NC) or possibly even Harvey-like flooding, even though 20" isn't 40".

So, the widespread flooding like Harvey won't happen, but specific areas might get that depth of flooding depending on topography of where the water collects as it runs downhill?

So, the widespread flooding like Harvey won't happen, but specific areas might get that depth of flooding depending on topography of where the water collects as it runs downhill?

Rainfalls over about 2" an hour for any sustained period will overwhelm collection systems, whether they're natural or man-made.

You can't understand why reporters standing out in hurricanes to report sends the wrong message? really?

It doesn't "send the wrong message". Just because you found an article whining about the practice doesn't make it wrong. It just means that you were able to find someone who shares your inexplicable point of view.

I've ridden out several hurricanes in my life. If you're not in a completely ridiculous place (like the below-sea level 9th ward of New Orleans) and are reasonably prepared, it's simply not that big a deal.

It doesn't "send the wrong message". Just because you found an article whining about the practice doesn't make it wrong. It just means that you were able to find someone who shares your inexplicable point of view.

I've ridden out several hurricanes in my life. If you're not in a completely ridiculous place (like the below-sea level 9th ward of New Orleans) and are reasonably prepared, it's simply not that big a deal.
You pretend that the subject of discusses weather people and news anchors looking for glory shots of themselves against the elements isn't a topic that comes up regularly.

You act like it is just me and some single story I found on the interwebs.

Its a subject that has been discussed widely and with todays robotics it is much easier to bring the visuals to broadcasts safely while reporters can report on what the robotic cameras "see".

What you do in riding out or evacuating, I don't care. Not on topic.

Reactions: ATIOH
Simple question, will it be possible/safe for me to drive from dc to philly on Saturday?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT