ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tropics more active...Florence to make NC/SC landfall on 9/14

I was in Myrtle Beach when Hurricane Hugo approached. As I remember we weren't told to evacuate till the morning and it hit around 10pm, maybe a bit later. The highway system wasn't anywhere as robust as it is now. Highway 501 was backed up almost from Conway to the strand and back then the evacuation was only mandatory from the beachfront to Highway 17.

Myrtle Beach National was still open so we stopped off and played the West Course before heading North.

My mom's best friend (like an aunt to me) stayed put in North Charleston for Hugo and said she'd never do that again. They lost most of their roof and had major water damage from the rain, although they were at a high enough elevation (15-20 feet) that they escaped the surge.

About how far inland are winds sustained? More specifically, if a cat 4 makes landfall, how strong are winds 15 miles inland? I realize a lot of variables at work, but any educated guesses appreciated,

About how far inland are winds sustained? More specifically, if a cat 4 makes landfall, how strong are winds 15 miles inland? I realize a lot of variables at work, but any educated guesses appreciated,

Hurricane force (75+) from a landfalling Cat 4 15 miles away is not out of the realm of possibility.

11 am NHC advisory shows Florence continuing to strengthen rapidly with winds up to 115 mph (cat 3). No changes to the track or intensity forecast, with Florence predicted to strike around Wilmington, NC Thursday night with winds around 140 mph (cat 4).

After that the forecast slows Florence down as it moves inland, NW of the coast, almost stalling the storm near Greensboro, NC by Saturday morning (as a tropical depression with torrential rains mostly). The landfall forecast is still +/- about 100 miles, while the inland slowdown/stall location at Day 5 is +/- close to 200 miles, so a large area could potentially be impacted with the torrential rains of 10-20" (locally up to 30").

41435188_10214629197837666_3107784321876885504_n.jpg

5 pm NHC advisory is out and Florence is now up to 140 mph winds (medium Cat 4) at 939 mbar of pressure and should strengthen even more, to 155 mph, as per the latest update - cat 5 is 157 mph, although the forecast is for 140-145 mph winds at landfall. The new track just came out, as per below, still indicating a landfall near Wilmington, NC, and still showing the storm slowing down and stalling near Greensboro, NC.

41493251_10214630912080521_3475266426711834624_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RUHoopsguard
My mom's best friend (like an aunt to me) stayed put in North Charleston for Hugo and said she'd never do that again. They lost most of their roof and had major water damage from the rain, although they were at a high enough elevation (15-20 feet) that they escaped the surge.

If this comes in as a Cat 4 15 feet may not matter. Sandy was 8-9 IIRC. All those 1 story frame houses are going to be kindling.

@RUBigFrank @Goku @RUChoppin @Plum Street @charliem24 @becktheory @DJ Spanky @CodyRU @ruready4somefootball @Crazed_RU @RUDiddy777 @imoapie @RU#1fan @RUHoopsguard @RUPete and probably some more I missed (my apologies on that) - thanks for the kind words in this thread. Happy to hear the information is useful to you and stay safe if you're in the line of fire for this one.

I am a Georgia grad living in New Jersey. Even though my Dawgs are #1 in my heart, I enjoy following RU football and lurk on this site for info on your team. I find these weather threads a great source of information for our area. Thanks for all the updates. Keep up the good work.

I fly from NWK to MCO on Friday morning ( spending 5 days on Ormond Beach) I’m assuming I’m safe seeing the the storm will be between the two. Maybe a bit longer flight as they take a more easterly track over the Atlantic

I fly from NWK to MCO on Friday morning ( spending 5 days on Ormond Beach) I’m assuming I’m safe seeing the the storm will be between the two. Maybe a bit longer flight as they take a more easterly track over the Atlantic
You should be fine going around the storm (could be to the west or east of the storm)...

Reactions: RUaMoose

Hurricane force (75+) from a landfalling Cat 4 15 miles away is not out of the realm of possibility.

Great question and from experience, 4Real is absolutely correct. Made me curious for Florence specific predictions, though, so I posted this question to the 33andrain board:

I've seen the NHC graphic, below, for earliest reasonable arrival of S force winds at various locations for Florence, but haven't seen an analog showing when hurricane force winds or gusts would be expected. Does a map like that exist? The only thing I saw on the NHC site was in the "key messages" panel, which said damaging hurricane force winds could extend "well inland into portions of the Carolinas and Virginia." Anyone?

205721_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34.png

Great question and from experience, 4Real is absolutely correct. Made me curious for Florence specific predictions, though, so I posted this question to the 33andrain board:

I've seen the NHC graphic, below, for earliest reasonable arrival of S force winds at various locations for Florence, but haven't seen an analog showing when hurricane force winds or gusts would be expected. Does a map like that exist? The only thing I saw on the NHC site was in the "key messages" panel, which said damaging hurricane force winds could extend "well inland into portions of the Carolinas and Virginia." Anyone?

Thank you!

Classes at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC are cancelled as of noon tomorrow, and for the entire week. Based on their proximity to the Tar River, if they get what’s predicted, they’ll be out all of next week as well. Daughter is heading home.

Just got a text from a friend who lives on the west side of the Intercoastal Waterway in Myrtle. He and the wife have a hotel reservation in Atlanta. Going to make the best of it.

This isn't from the NHC, but here's a nice graphic from the Euro model on max gusts for the 3-hour perod ending near landfall Thursday night. It's just one model, but it is the best model and the predicted gusts show that hurricane force gusts can be expected up to about 75 miles inland, past I-95 in NC, assuming landfall just SE of Wilmington. One could likely "lift and shift" this graphic for any other landfall location.

The storm will weaken fairly rapidly once inland, as it loses contact with its energy source (the ocean), so even though the storm center will be further inland its winds will be less, i.e., it'll be near 140 mph near landfall and down to 60 mph about 18 hours later, when it reaches Raleigh, 100 miles inland, as per the NHC forecast.

41513647_10214631423453305_4540450382345666560_n.jpg

Here's the official NOAA/WPC precip forecast for the next 7 days, showing a huge swath of NC/VA getting 10-20" rains and an area around that getting 6-10". Note that these swaths will move with the landfalling hurricane (these are based on landfall near Wilmington, NC, as per the NHC). Also worth noting that many models are showing locally higher amounts up to 30" or so. Hard to predict that much officially, but it might happen.

41471176_10214631512735537_6734721041836277760_n.jpg

Just flew back from Charlotte to Newark this afternoon. Store shelves were already getting empty and everyone obviously worried.

A co-worker drove down to OBX on Saturday. He goes down every year 2nd week of September. Gets the vacation insurance every year. Paid off this year.

Your going to see rain 2-3 ft or more forget 20" NC, VA are going to get destroyed along with mountains in WV

Stayed in Calabash a number if times Sunset Beach beautiful beach that on west side by 50 miles or so if hits Wilmington but fear will get absolutely destroyed

Stayed in Calabash a number if times Sunset Beach beautiful beach that on west side by 50 miles or so if hits Wilmington but fear will get absolutely destroyed

I have family in Little River just south of that in SC. As of now they're staying with windows boarded and generator.

Cant believe how warm water gets there like 85 degrees. I spent like 3 hrs in the water

Cant believe how warm water gets there like 85 degrees. I spent like 3 hrs in the water
Even 75-76F is nice - was in OCNJ this past week and with the hot conditions, the water was perfect. My son and I spent an hour or two most days in the ocean - great bodysurfing conditions, too.

Looks like we’ll avoid it in Hilton Head. Evacuation though.

As I posted earlier, evacuating from anywhere SW of Charleston is just a waste. I'd wait at least a day or so and see if the path takes a major shift south before deciding to evacuate from there. If the storm doesn't make a serious jog south in the next 36 hours, it's not going to hit anywhere near Charleston or points SW of there.

As I posted earlier, evacuating from anywhere SW of Charleston is just a waste. I'd wait at least a day or so and see if the path takes a major shift south before deciding to evacuate from there. If the storm doesn't make a serious jog south in the next 36 hours, it's not going to hit anywhere near Charleston or points SW of there.

The governor of SC said that he didn't want to experience "the loss of a single South Carolina life" from this storm, in explaining the evacuations.

As we're seeing it right now, the greatest risk to South Carolina lives is, in fact, up country - not along the coast.

I’ve been through some Cat 2s. That was more than enough for me. When the ocean and sound met under the house (house was on raised pilings), and I realized we were 5 miles away from the nearest dry land at that point, and 100+ mph winds are shaking the house, it was a very scary feeling.

No way would I hang around for this if I were in coastal NC. And inland could potentially be the worst part of this storm, with all of the rainfall projected.

I’m trying to talk my relatives in Norfolk and the Shenandoah Valley into coming up here for the week/end.

Reactions: RUScrew85
This is a tough one, deciding whether to stay put in Pinehurst for the duration or hit the road Wednesday morning and head west/southwest. Maybe Atlanta. Maybe Tennessee. Will wait for Tuesday evening's update.

Hmmm, 11pm advisory looks like the cone shifted a bit to the north from what I had seen earlier today. Center of the cone is closer to Emerald Isle/Morehead City than Wilmington or the NC/SC border area.

024408_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

5 pm NHC advisory is out and Florence is now up to 140 mph winds (medium Cat 4) at 939 mbar of pressure and should strengthen even more, to 155 mph, as per the latest update - cat 5 is 157 mph, although the forecast is for 140-145 mph winds at landfall. The new track just came out, as per below, still indicating a landfall near Wilmington, NC, and still showing the storm slowing down and stalling near Greensboro, NC.

41493251_10214630912080521_3475266426711834624_n.jpg

The 11 pm NHC advisory is out and Florence continues to be a 140 mph Cat 4 hurricane, but is still forecast to strengthen to 155 mph (almost Cat 5) over the next 1-2 days. However, the forecast also calls for some weakening before landfall, which has been shifted about 25 miles NE of where it's been for awhile; it was near Wilmington, NC, while it's now near Jacksonville, NC, late Thursday night. After landfall, Florence is still forecast to slow, then likely stall about 150-200 miles inland in central NC between Raleigh and the NC/VA border about 25 miles NE of Greensboro, leading to catastrophic rains (10-20" and up to 30" locally) in much of NC/VA.

41454237_10214632668644434_5655177099271471104_n.jpg

The 11 pm NHC advisory is out and Florence continues to be a 140 mph Cat 4 hurricane, but is still forecast to strengthen to 155 mph (almost Cat 5) over the next 1-2 days. However, the forecast also calls for some weakening before landfall, which has been shifted about 25 miles NE of where it's been for awhile; it was near Wilmington, NC, while it's now near Jacksonville, NC, late Thursday night. After landfall, Florence is still forecast to slow, then likely stall about 150-200 miles inland in central NC between Raleigh and the NC/VA border about 25 miles NE of Greensboro, leading to catastrophic rains (10-20" and up to 30" locally) in much of NC/VA.

41454237_10214632668644434_5655177099271471104_n.jpg

So, for the 00Z models, the Euro moves back to a Wilmington, NC landfall (was there for several runs, earlier; was 40 miles SE of there last run), while the UK remains about the same with a Morehead City, NC landfall; the UK then takes Florence inland 150-200 miles into north central NC, where the storm slows/stalls, while the Euro, which was doing the same thing for days, now takes Florence along the NC coast, just inland for 2 days, moving SE into SC and then towards Augusta, GA - that's a big departure for the Euro.

The GFS and CMC both continue with the idea of bringing Florence to almost the exact same point as the Euro/UK, just offshore the OBX, but then both models stall the storm there and have it meander around the OBX for several days before finally making landfall and moving inland and dissipating.

Not really that different - they just stall at different times, but clearly the impacts would be very different, with all of the models hammering the coast and just inland for awhile, while they all do fairly different things after that, meaning the location of the torrential rains is still greatly in question.

I'll take the Euro/UK for landfall, based on past better accuracy and the NHC which has stuck with a solution like the Euro/UK for days (many other models support that idea), but obviously they could be wrong. Not sure what the NHC will do now, though, post landfall, given solutions all over the place. They'll probably make very minor changes to the track up to about landfall and then keep a wider-than-normal cone of uncertainty after that point and hope the next model suite shows more consensus. Tough job for them.

Once again, though, all of these solutions lead to minimal impacts for the NJ/NY/LI area. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
So, for the 00Z models, the Euro moves back to a Wilmington, NC landfall (was there for several runs, earlier; was 40 miles SE of there last run), while the UK remains about the same with a Morehead City, NC landfall; the UK then takes Florence inland 150-200 miles into north central NC, where the storm slows/stalls, while the Euro, which was doing the same thing for days, now takes Florence along the NC coast, just inland for 2 days, moving SE into SC and then towards Augusta, GA - that's a big departure for the Euro.

The GFS and CMC both continue with the idea of bringing Florence to almost the exact same point as the Euro/UK, just offshore the OBX, but then both models stall the storm there and have it meander around the OBX for several days before finally making landfall and moving inland and dissipating.

Not really that different - they just stall at different times, but clearly the impacts would be very different, with all of the models hammering the coast and just inland for awhile, while they all do fairly different things after that, meaning the location of the torrential rains is still greatly in question.

I'll take the Euro/UK for landfall, based on past better accuracy and the NHC which has stuck with a solution like the Euro/UK for days (many other models support that idea), but obviously they could be wrong. Not sure what the NHC will do now, though, post landfall, given solutions all over the place. They'll probably make very minor changes to the track up to about landfall and then keep a wider-than-normal cone of uncertainty after that point and hope the next model suite shows more consensus. Tough job for them.

Once again, though, all of these solutions lead to minimal impacts for the NJ/NY/LI area. Stay tuned.

Last night's 00Z models (7 pm EST data inputs) have diverged somewhat near and after landfall, i.e., at 72 hours out and beyond, as per the discussion below. The NHC didn't make major changes, as I kind of expected - I think they're hoping to see more consensus today.

For now, the NHC 5 am advisory shows a track a little to the SW of where it was last night with landfall of a Cat 4 hurricane with 130-140 mph winds about 10-20 miles SW of where it was, i.e., about 10 miles SW of Jacksonville, NC vs. 10 miles NE of Jacksonville at 11 pm last night. Landfall was also slowed down a bit, from late Thursday night until very early Friday morning (1-3 am), with Florence weakening fairly rapidly to a weak TS within a day, but still producing huge amounts of rain.

In addition the new advisory has Florence moving a bit further SW after landfall, slowing and then nearly stalling by Sunday morning around Greensboro, NC, vs. being about 30-40 miles NE of Greensboro, at the NC/VA border, last night at that time. This has significant impacts on where the torrential 10-20"+ rains will be, obviously.

With regard to the 00Z models, the Euro moves back to a Wilmington, NC landfall (was there for several runs, earlier; was 40 miles SE of there last run), while the UK remains about the same with a Morehead City, NC landfall; the UK then takes Florence inland 150-200 miles into north central NC, where the storm slows/stalls, while the Euro, which was doing the same thing for days, now takes Florence along the NC coast, just inland for 2 days, moving SE into SC and then towards Augusta, GA - that's a big departure for the Euro.

The GFS and CMC both continue with the idea of bringing Florence to almost the exact same point as the Euro/UK, just offshore the OBX, but then both models stall the storm there and have it meander around the OBX for several days before finally making landfall and moving inland and dissipating. Also, note that the "new and improved," but still experimenta FV3-GFS, looks very similar to the Euro, with landfall near Wilmington and then a move inland, slowly towards NE SC/Augusta, GA.

These two camps aren't really that different in the big picture - they just stall at different times, but clearly the impacts would be very different, with all of the models hammering the coast and just inland for awhile, while they all do fairly different things after that, meaning the location of the torrential rains is still greatly in question. That's why people from the NE half of SC to all of NC to much of VA need to keep watching, since Florence's track, post landfall is so much in question - and which is why the NHC didn't really shrink the track error bars near/after landfall, as I kind of expected given the model spread.

The NHC track is below and here are the forecast positions/winds:

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 11/0900Z 26.4N 64.1W 120 KT 140 MPH
12H 11/1800Z 27.2N 66.4W 125 KT 145 MPH
24H 12/0600Z 28.7N 69.4W 130 KT 150 MPH
36H 12/1800Z 30.5N 72.2W 130 KT 150 MPH
48H 13/0600Z 32.2N 74.5W 125 KT 145 MPH
72H 14/0600Z 34.3N 77.1W 115 KT 130 MPH
96H 15/0600Z 35.2N 78.0W 45 KT 50 MPH...INLAND
120H 16/0600Z 36.0N 79.0W 25 KT 30 MPH...INLAND

41642477_10214634179362201_1183262635349508096_n.jpg

One difficult question for people near the coast and inland is, "where do I evacuate to" in the face of such uncertainty, post landfall?" That's a great question given the spread in potential locations for the likely catastrophic 10-20" or more torrential inland rains. To be safe, places like Atlanta and Richmond come to mind or maybe as far NW as Asheville. Or hope for better definition today/tonight and then decide.

I remember last year with Irma, telling my dad to not evacuate from Vero Beach on the east coast of FL, which looked to be in the track crosshairs 3 days out, to Tampa on the west coast, as the uncertainty cone was too large and he could afford to decide 24-30 hours in advance of any landfall. So he stayed put and Irma ended up going up the west coast of FL instead of the east coast. He was quite happy with that decision, having lived through Jeanne and Francis in Vero (and vowing never to do that again).

Last edited:
I'm heading to UNC Wilmington Friday for the weekend, do you think I will be OK?

Can't tell if serious, but if you are, that's just nuts - there's no sane person in the world who would head into that part of NC on purpose on Friday, especially given the uncertainty of the track near and post landfall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT