ADVERTISEMENT

OOC RU schedule 2019-2020

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
Just what's been gathered so far.....don't quote me on this but I believe it's pretty close to accurate....in no particular order, those that have the calendar handy, can stack these in order (South Carolina in November and Seton Hall mid December.

NJIT
Drexel
Lafayette
UMass
Niagara
Bryant
@ (Toronto) South Carolina
@ Providence ??
ACC/B1G (Clemson/Pittsburgh)??)
Seton Hall

Just what's been gathered so far.....don't quote me on this but I believe it's pretty close to accurate....in no particular order, those that have the calendar handy, can stack these in order (South Carolina in November and Seton Hall mid December.

NJIT
Drexel
Lafayette
UMass
Niagara
Bryant
@ Providence ??
Seton Hall
Hawk - where is the link / info on NJIT; Drexel and / or Lafayette or is this speculative on your part? Thanks

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Hawk - where is the link / info on NJIT; Drexel and / or Lafayette or is this speculative on your part? Thanks

No links on any of the 3....the names were gathered from various sources (mostly non RU)....two are a parent and / or relative of a newcomer for two of the 3 opponents.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
An ACC team should be at home as we were at Miami this past season. One never knows though for certain as in the Gavitt games we were at St. John's in 2015 and at Depaul in 2016. We got shafted. The ACC games have alternated for 5 straight years from 2014-18. We were @ Clemson, home with Wake Forest, @ Miami ,home with Florida State and @ Miami again.

An ACC team should be at home as we were at Miami this past season. One never knows though for certain as in the Gavitt games we were at St. John's in 2015 and at Depaul in 2016. We got shafted. The ACC games have alternated for 5 straight years from 2014-18. We were @ Clemson, home with Wake Forest, @ Miami ,home with Florida State and @ Miami again.
Look at my screen name and all makes sense.0

Clemson was at home for Nebraska this past year, so it would make sense that they'd be on the road this year.

Clemson was at home for Nebraska this past year, so it would make sense that they'd be on the road this year.
Is it wrong i hope RU is on the road? With me in the crowd RU would feel it’s a home game!!

Is it wrong i hope RU is on the road? With me in the crowd RU would feel it’s a home game!!
Same !! I got gipped this year with the women’s game at UNC Charlottes being cancelled due to the snow storm, and then with the NCAAs having first round regionals in Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro of course we go @ UConn! So this would make up for it!!

RU should NOT go on the road again as we went to Miami twice already and we played at Clemson in 2014. Why would someone think we should be on the road again vs. an ACC team?

I think Clemson in 2014 was a Vegas Orleans arena tournament if I'm not mistaken, but could be wrong.

In any event, the ACC teams are more dictated by who Coach K and Roy Williams may want to play more than anything else...perhaps Tony Bennett now has more of a voice with UVA winning a National championship but once you get past the Top 4 made for ESPN/ACC matchups, the rest falls into place.

I think whatever teams are left over, wind up becoming matchups for RU depending on the TV calendar for the top teams. It's possible that we play Pitt just as much as Clemson, these are guesses on that but the Lafayette, NJIT and Drexel ones were reconfirmed by a dialed in contact on the RU spectrum (fan, alumni, diehard etc).

To discuss OOC opponents and open assistant coaching spots and last recruiting spots in early May, shows the tide is truly turning for RU hoops. Interest is at levels not seen in quite awhile.

RU was at Clemson in 2014. They played Clemson in Vegas, Thanksgiving 2015 in the consolation game of the MGM Tournament. I was at that game..

Reactions: dkostus
I think Clemson in 2014 was a Vegas Orleans arena tournament if I'm not mistaken, but could be wrong.

In any event, the ACC teams are more dictated by who Coach K and Roy Williams may want to play more than anything else...perhaps Tony Bennett now has more of a voice with UVA winning a National championship but once you get past the Top 4 made for ESPN/ACC matchups, the rest falls into place.

I think whatever teams are left over, wind up becoming matchups for RU depending on the TV calendar for the top teams. It's possible that we play Pitt just as much as Clemson, these are guesses on that but the Lafayette, NJIT and Drexel ones were reconfirmed by a dialed in contact on the RU spectrum (fan, alumni, diehard etc).

To discuss OOC opponents and open assistant coaching spots and last recruiting spots in early May, shows the tide is truly turning for RU hoops. Interest is at levels not seen in quite awhile.
I wonder if we might not be a target for one of the projected 3-6 ACC teams to want to play. Based on last years final KenPom and what we have returning we might be viewed as a relatively decent team from an analytics standpoint that they think they can take to get a good NET win.

Are we certain that the ACC teams (UVA, Duke, UNC) really have this much sway? I'd like to think at least Izzo and Beilin have decent pull. Or is it ACC contract with ESPN controlling?

Yes, we played Clemson at Clemson on 12-1-2014 in the ACC-BIG 10 Challenge. We won 69-64. We played Clemson on 11-25-2015 in a 4 team event in Las Vegas for third place and lost 76-58. We had lost to Creighton on 11-23-2015 86-75.

Does Rutgers small arena come into play when scheduled/matched with ACC teams? These are not charity games. Or is it all about TV money?

I wonder if we might not be a target for one of the projected 3-6 ACC teams to want to play. Based on last years final KenPom and what we have returning we might be viewed as a relatively decent team from an analytics standpoint that they think they can take to get a good NET win.

Are we certain that the ACC teams (UVA, Duke, UNC) really have this much sway? I'd like to think at least Izzo and Beilin have decent pull. Or is it ACC contract with ESPN controlling?

Yes the ACC and ESPN are that controlled by content and ESPN is launching the ACC Network (finally) this summer and are opening their football schedule with all conference games to start the season.

Reactions: dkostus
Purdue has announced their OOC schedule, the first Big Ten team I've seen to do so.

Gavitt Game and B1G/ACC games not yet finalized, but it seems like the teams who are participating in the Gavitt Games have been informed.

https://purduesports.com/news/2019/...nnounces-2019-20-non-conference-schedule.aspx

Six of their 11 games are against what you'd consider quality opponents (five high-majors guaranteed and a sixth game against either another high-major or VCU)

B1G/ACC challenge week is December 2-5 it looks.

Final 2018-19 KenPom rankings of their opponents:

(Big East opponent)
(ACC opponent)
10, 14, or 42
10, 14, or 42

This is a good schedule and something we should try to replicate. Only one game against a terrible team. Four games against teams ranked 100-200. And then six games against top-100 teams.

Last edited:
Does Rutgers small arena come into play when scheduled/matched with ACC teams? These are not charity games. Or is it all about TV money?
I don't think the size of an arena in basketball matters as much as it does in football. Here are sizes of some of the ACC arenas: Georgia Tech-6,900; Duke-9,000+; Boston College-8,600; Miami-7,900; Notre Dame-9,100; and Clemson-10,000. The TV money is probably the driving force behind it more so than the size of the arena.

RU was at Clemson in 2014. They played Clemson in Vegas, Thanksgiving 2015 in the consolation game of the MGM Tournament. I was at that game..
I was at the Clemson game in 2014. Still can't believe we won.

I was at the Clemson game in 2014. Still can't believe we won.
Eddie Jordan's offense was clicking on all cylinders that night. RU only committed three turnovers. Junior Etou's performance made me think he could possibly be among the B1G's top players down the road.

The win over Wisconsin was EJ's No. 1 victory. This was probably No. 2.

Our only opponent rated in the top 100 of Bart Torvik's 2019-20 projections is Seton Hall. And there's a good chance we draw one of the lower ACC teams for the challenge too (VT, BC, Clemson).

Our OOC is going to do us no favors in helping a potential bubble case.

Our only opponent rated in the top 100 of Bart Torvik's 2019-20 projections is Seton Hall. And there's a good chance we draw one of the lower ACC teams for the challenge too (VT, BC, Clemson).

Our OOC is going to do us no favors in helping a potential bubble case.

I think all indications are Seton Hall will be a Quad 1 win opportunity and more than enough on the slate with South Carolina.

The OOC schedule itself is not the issue. The issue is margin of victory, road victories, home B1G wins AND margin of defeat in the 23 games that matter. SHU, SC, ACC matchup and 20 B1G games. The 7 other games are not relevant to earning a bid if you're not closing the margin of defeat in B1G road games.

Last edited:
I think all indications are Seton Hall will be a Quad 1 win opportunity and more than enough on the slate with South Carolina.

The OOC schedule itself is not the issue. The issue is margin of victory, road victories, home wins AND margin of defeat in the 23 games that matter. SHU, SC, ACC matchup and 20 B1G games. The 7 other games are not relevant to earning a bid if you're not closing the margin of defeat in B1G road games.

Seton Hall should be a Quadrant 1 game but since we're at home SHU has to be a Top 30 team for it to qualify. Seton Hall finished 59th in the NET last year so they have some work to do.

South Carolina will hopefully be a Quadrant 2 game (for neutral site that's 51-100) but there's no guarantee of that. They finished 79th in the NET and are losing easily their best player in Chris Silva.

Margin of defeat has very little to do with things.

You can't sugarcoat what a weak OOC would do to POTENTIAL NCAA chances.

On the flipside....having a tough OOC and losing a bunch of games is even more damaging.

I'd like to be in a spot to think 10-10 in B1G would put us in the driver's seat. 9-2 vs weak OOC might not help our cause.

Reactions: kcg88

On the flipside....having a tough OOC and losing a bunch of games is even more damaging.

I'd like to be in a spot to think 10-10 in B1G would put us in the driver's seat. 9-2 vs weak OOC might not help our cause.

I don't think we necessarily need to replicate Seton Hall's schedule (they're running the gauntlet this season if the MSU rumor is true; but also important to remember they play two fewer conference games), or Illinois' from last year. But having only one potential Quad 1 game on there is a mistake.

Doing some logic to predict our ACC matchup.

They match teams up based on a combination of season expectations and program clout.

So let's rule out Duke, Virginia, UNC, Florida State, Syracuse, and Louisville.

One ACC team has to sit out, usually the last place team. Pitt and Notre Dame tied for last, but since Pitt just sat out two years ago, it should be Notre Dame this year. (Wake Forest sat out last year so it won't be them)

They also like to flip home and aways so that teams aren't on the road two years in a row.

Georgia Tech, Pittsburgh, NC State, and Virginia Tech all played on the road last year, as did Rutgers. So they're out.

So my official guess is:

30% chance Clemson
30% chance Boston College
30% chance Wake Forest
10% chance Notre Dame (if they make BC or Miami sit out instead)

Last edited:

Not sure why you think margin of defeat doesn't matter when the NET rankings clearly outline margin of victory or defeat matters....the threshold is that anything over 10 points doesn't give anyone more credit for a win, but losing by 10+ points vs losing by 5 or 6 matters a lot.

I don't think we necessarily need to replicate Seton Hall's schedule (they're running the gauntlet this season if the MSU rumor is true; but also important to remember they play two fewer conference games), or Illinois' from last year. But having only one potential Quad 1 game on there is a mistake.

SHUs schedule is TBD, i don't know how many quality games they'll actually have but at last check Ohio State, Michigan State and Maryland all are preseason Top 10. There are more than enough Q1 opportunities.

NC State last year got left out because of their garbage non-conference even though they went 3-1 against power-conference teams.

ACC played two fewer conference games, so let's pretend Penn State and Wisconsin were ACC games and look at the rest of the their schedule. They played 22 games against high majors and 9 against low majors.

They beat Auburn... this would be roughly the equivalent of us beating Seton Hall.

They beat Vanderbilt... this would be roughly the equivalent of us beating South Carolina.

Other than that they played nobody. Mercer (ranked 199) was their next highest. This is roughly equal to us playing NJIT.

The remaining 8 games were against the little sisters of the poor and they won those games by an average of 36 points! They could hardly have been more dominant. And it didn't matter.

It's an objectively bad way to build a schedule. We're looking only slightly better with 23 games against high majors (20 B1G + SHU, South Carolina, and ACC challenge opponent).

SHUs schedule is TBD, i don't know how many quality games they'll actually have but at last check Ohio State, Michigan State and Maryland all are preseason Top 10. There are more than enough Q1 opportunities.

They're in the Battle 4 Atlantis which includes Gonzaga, Michigan, North Carolina, Oregon, Iowa State, Alabama, Southern Miss. So that's at least two more games against high majors.

They're playing Iowa State in the inaugural Big 12/Big East challenge as well.

Furthermore, it's actually preferable to go something like 5-4 in Q1 games than 2-1 even though the latter winning percentage is better.

Reactions: Local Shill
Check the participants in SH's Nov. tournament (Atlantis) to see their potential quality games. Sorry, didn't get to post above (KCG) before posting.

NC State last year got left out because of their garbage non-conference even though they went 3-1 against power-conference teams.

ACC played two fewer conference games, so let's pretend Penn State and Wisconsin were ACC games and look at the rest of the their schedule. They played 22 games against high majors and 9 against low majors.

They beat Auburn... this would be roughly the equivalent of us beating Seton Hall.

They beat Vanderbilt... this would be roughly the equivalent of us beating South Carolina.

Other than that they played nobody. Mercer (ranked 199) was their next highest. This is roughly equal to us playing NJIT.

The remaining 8 games were against the little sisters of the poor and they won those games by an average of 36 points! They could hardly have been more dominant. And it didn't matter.

It's an objectively bad way to build a schedule. We're looking only slightly better with 23 games against high majors (20 B1G + SHU, South Carolina, and ACC challenge opponent).

It comes down to their ACC slate....it's just the reality of using NCState as the poster child, isn't the best example. If there's a breakdown beyond losing twice to Georgia Tech, then I would agree. If they split those games, they're right there. If they sweep GT, they'd be in.

I just dont see how piling up 13 to 14 losses, proves anything other than you played a tough schedule. PSU played the supposed schedule many think is the solution and their season was essentially over by mid December.

Here's what cost NCState or would have cost anyone else...an improved OOC was not going to save them.

Lost at last place Wake Forest 71-67

Lost at home to Virginia Tech 47-24....yes, they scored 24 points in 40 minutes of play, at home.

Lost at North Carolina 113-96, the game after scoring only 24 points at home. You have a 23 point home loss, followed up by a 17 point road loss albeit to a Top 10-15 Carolina team.

Lost at home by 1 to eventual National championship Virginia 66-65. Probably a game if they win, they make the NCAAS.

Lost at home in regular season finale to Georgia Tech 63-61...win 1st ACC tournament game, then lose by 76-56 to UVA the next day.

NC State had TWO quality wins in the ACC....beating Cuse by 15 at home and beating Clemson by 2 at home, who was also an NIT team. The ACC games, 2 vs UNC, 2 UVA, 1 Duke all piled up enough evidence that they weren't an NCAA team. And they lost at Wisconsin 79-75 in the ACC B1G challenge, in a game they pretty much led for the 1st 38 minutes of the game.

If RU has 1 win of note in the B1G, the OOC slate is not going to matter. RU needs to first establish that they can win games first, get momentum in November before playing the 2 early B1G games and Seton Hall. Having 6 losses before January 1st, is not a formula to make the Dance.

The path to making the NCAA, is to get off to as strong a start as possible and get the Mulcahy's and sophomores really established. Hopefully we get the South Carolina game and get more wins.

The last key is forgotten by RU fans....for the 1st time in over a decade, there are legitimate expectations and it takes time to learn how to play through expectations and not being the underdog. It's much easier to play when no one expects you to win.

Can we make the dance and learn how to win and play with expectations all in one year?? It usually takes 2 years and bumps along the way. I think NIT and learning how to win, is step 1, then we see what happens.

NJIT
Drexel
Lafayette
UMass
Niagara
Bryant
@ Providence ??
Seton Hall
Capable of winning every one of them.

So we know for sure:

St. Bonaventure (11/16)
Pittsburgh (12/3)
Seton Hall (12/14)
NJIT (no date)
Bryant (no date)
UMass

IDEALLY we will play the full slate of games (11) instead of 10 like last season but I have no confidence in that so that's five open spots.

One fun thing about college basketball is there's a message board ADs or coaches post on when they want to schedule games. It is viewable publicly. While nobody from Rutgers had used it since the Pernetti days, we can see what's out there.

Eastern Michigan mentioned they lost their MTE... that's multi-team event, the kind of cobbled-together thing that allows teams to play an extra game. Doesn't need to be a tournament like Maui or Atlantic, it can be an on-campus thing. For example, last season the games against Eastern Michigan, Boston U, Drexel, and Fairleigh Dickinson were technically a part of the "Hub City Classic." Essentially it's just a round-robin scheduling alliance.

Anyway, if Rutgers and EMU were in another similar arrangement, it fell through. And EMU is looking for a buy game, they could be sub-200 with losing a bunch of seniors though.

UMBC is looking for a buy game on either November 5 or Dec 28-31. They should be around 200ish, could be worse (aka could be Bryant or Niagara)

Iona is looking for a game and has multiple November/December dates. They should be top-175ish.

UCF wants a game on December 10 in Orlando. Getting into a home-and-home with them would be cool but doubt Pikiell wants a midweek trip down to Florida the week of the SHU game.

Princeton is looking for a "regional home-and-home." I know it won't be with us but still.

South Florida is looking for a home-and-home series but the dates don't match up. They'd have been a good opponent.

The schedule and dates are done according to someone who would know. I am not sure when it will be announced but a couple of schools i heard were a bit interesting in names......nothing earth shattering.

I think the dates of all games will be public in mid to late August or so. That’s when it was announced last year fwiw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT